Dancing the the Stars fall 2011 week 1 (performance/results) spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Sep 21, 2011.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Since no one has started a thread yet, I'll get the ball rolling.

Cast list shamelessly stolen from the earlier thread announcing the cast:

Chaz Bono / Lacey Schwimmer
    Kristin Cavallari / Mark Ballas
    Robert Kardashian / Cheryl Burke
    Carson Kressley / Anna Trebunskaya
    Ricki Lake / Derek Hough
    J.R. Martinez / Karina Smirnoff
    Hope Solo / Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    Chynna Phillips / Tony Dovolani
    David Arquette / Kym Johnson
    Elisabetta Canalis / Valentin Chmerkovskiy (Maksim's brother)
    Ron Artest / Peta Murgatroyd (new Pro)
    Nancy Grace / Tristan McManus (new Pro)

In deference to the people who may not have watched yet, I'm not going to mention right away who got sent home last night, or comment much on the performances.

Big changes this season! HUGE fancy new set. And unlike previous years, we get one big show with everyone dancing, and then results this week with someone going home. Plus there's an extra "meet the cast" hour with behind-the-scenes stuff.

I'm happy to report that some of the best parts of the show have not changed -- Tom Bergeron is just as adept at making funny quips as ever. :up:

IMHO the show was end-loaded, with some of the best performances coming toward the end of the show. So if you watch the beginning and you don't like the performances, just skip ahead to the next one. There will be good stuff before the end of the show.

One small spoiler: I'm always happy when my favorite performance (not necessarily the best performance of the night, but my favorite) is the encore, and this week the judges obliged. :)

So, who else is watching this season? What did you think of the premiere?

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You titled this thread week 1 performance/results spoilers. People reading this thread should expect to see who got bounced and a discussion.

In what world do you start such a thread but not "deliver on what you promise?"

Even the hard core spoiler nazis shouldn't have a problem discussing results with the thread topic you selected.

3. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I have a five way conflict at 9pm on Tuesdays (and 8pm if it was on earlier), so DWTS results show got the boot. I would have liked to have seen the behind the scenes stuff, though.

I thought it was an ok show. I think I'm getting to the point of not really caring much about it, though. The celebrities are less interesting every season.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    The show was better than I thought it would be- when the cast was announced I thought "ugh" but I was surprised.

I like celebrities who work hard during rehearsals but then manage to look as if they are enjoying themselves during the actual performance, so I most enjoyed Carson, David, and Chaz.

5. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Deliver on what I promised? WTF?

You make it sound like I am paid to write for your entertainment.

No one had started a thread, so I started one to get the ball rolling. I didn't have time to write up a full recap and talk about what everybody did. Plus I was hoping that if I didn't run my big yap, other people would say something for a change.

I was attempting to leave the way open for someone to post who might have seen the performance show, but hadn't watched the results show yet, because there are people who will ***** that DwtS only needs one thread per season.

If you don't want to talk about the show, then don't. Go read some other thread.

6. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Man does Chaz have a lot of support. They all came to him with a group hug when he was safe. I thought he did OK.

And I thought Elisabetta was betta then the judges said she was.

I love Len but he needs to calm down on the criticism on the 1st night. What does he expect?!!

7. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Ditto. I thought Ricky Lake was fun, too.

I liked the judges' remarks for Carson the best. ;) And it was nice to hear Tom Bergeron was on form as well.

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Has nobody heard the news about Nancy Grace's nipslip wardrobe malfunction at the junction?

9. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I guess they played encores of the meet the cast and results shows on Sunday, and my TiVo picked them up then, since we have only 4 tuners and a 5 way conflict on Tues 8pm and 9pm.

Is it me or does Kym's face look... off? It looked like maybe she had a nose job or something. Also, wow, what a terrible costume on Lacey during the dance troupe performance!

I was glad that Nancy Grace didn't get eliminated because I want to hear the Irish guy talk all season long, even if I'd rather not see her dance. :)

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Wasn't that last night (week 2)?

11. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It must have been... I don't remember any nip slips last week. I haven't watched this week's yet.

12. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Hard not to root for JR, but that whole "where's my ear" bit really made me uncomfortable.

13. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Well. We're in over here. I agree with Jan that the better stuff came towards the end. I think there's some real chance for improvement with this group and I'm looking forward to watching them progress. I knew Rikki Lake would be a decent dancer and I wasn't disappointed. I think she will go far this season.