Damages-Pilot-7/24/07-SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Werd2406, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I thought it was a really good episode, with a lot of twists and turns...though at the end, were we NOT supposed to know why Glenn Close/her assistant were gettign money and trading it amongst themselves??

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Either I was half asleep or just slow, but I didn't see the plot twists coming, even after the older attorney had Ellen "autograph" the card and then add "I was warned" above it. Duh. Ellen just didn't seem sharp enough to garner that sort of attention, and I did think it a bit odd that they had her on the Frobisher case her first day. Double duh.

I don't get the money changing with Uncle Pete either but I suspect someone sharper than me will be along to explain.... maybe. Or it's a mystery- which is good IMO. I'm hooked.

Patty Hewes is a kick ass character and Glenn Close can stay on my TV all she likes if she is going to deliver like this- excellent work. We need more evil scheming women that are 14 steps ahead of everyone else IMO. She played Ellen superbly at that wedding- spider and fly to the max.

Zeljko Ivanek could lost that southern accent any time now, though. And what happened to Ted Danson's voice?

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Uncle Pete killed the dog. Tate Donovan gave him money, and he gave Tate the dog collar to pass on to Patty.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    it's been a long long long time since i've been thrown by a plot twist - and I didn't see that one coming.

excellent excellent excellent.

i just wish FX was HD for this show :)

i predict it now:
    Glenn Close will win the emmy in 2008.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Seems I'm just full of "duh" moments on this show...

6. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    So we know Glenn Close was behind the dog murder and hiring of that girl to bring the witness to the case. OK. Got it.

Do we know what happened to the new hire lawyer? Or is that something that seems to be played out over the season?

Also do you think the new hire lawyer knows what is going on to some degree and hence getting the other lawyer involved since she plans to take down Patty?

7. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    It's going to be played out over the season.

We do know that in the very beginning she left Patty's building when she was all bruised and beaten.

8. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Ok, now it makes sense! And that makes it even better!!! Can't wait to see how this plays out....but I can't see them doing a second season since it appears Glenn Close to be kinda the bad guy(or girl).....and Ellen seemed pretty shook up/not wanting to see her so....a second season seems a bit hard to picture?

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    And it would appear we know what happens to her fiance since (unless I'm wrong that's who it was)
    ... was in the apartment when the police were there right before she said "I want a lawyer." :up:

10. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I was thinking about this last night also. Who is the show based around, Glenn close or Ellen? I assume Ellen from the terms of the story but Glenn Close is clearly the draw to the show. So interesting to see how it pans out and if they go forward how they make it happen and with who.

11. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    The story is supposed to wrap up in 13 episodes and then next season will be Glenn as the same character but a new storyline / case.

I'm sure we're going to learn to love her throughout the season. Surely she won't be directly involved in Ellen's injuries or her fiancees death.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I got two words for you: FX and Vic Mackie.

OK, so I can't count, but I think the point remains valid. :D

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    For those who didn't realize it, Ellen getting beaten up and the murder of her fiance happen 6 months after the beginning of the story. Those were flash-forwards we were seeing.

During the season we'll get to see what led up to those events.

Edit to add: when Ellen went to visit the fired Tate Donovan, it was then I guessed that his firing was a sham and they were just reeling her in.

14. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was totally duped - I believed Tate
    - I was certain Ted Danson had Fido killed.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was duped as well, but I'm not sure it was fair--the plan was pretty, well, silly. She "fires" Tate so Ellen will go to him and be fooled? But what are the odds that Ellen will go to him in the first place? Patty was assuming that Ellen would get exactly far enough down the suspicion road to question her, and far enough down the trust road to consider Tate a reliable source of information, but not far enough down the suspicion road to wonder why she should trust Tate in the first place, and not far enough down the trust road to trust Patty.

It seems like we are to expect Patty is SO good at manipulation that she can steer Ellen into a very, very specific frame of mind, with several variables controlled for.

On the other hand, it was pretty obvious that Patty had the dog killed...as Ellen herself said, that was a good way to assure Sis would land on Patty's side rather than silence her. So it would seem that Patty is capable of extreme subtlety and also of extreme obviousness.

Which is a fairly major quibble, but overall I'd say still just a quibble. I do like the show, so far...

16. betativoII

betativoII Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I didn't realize right away the firing was a scam, but I thought that Tate's character was either still being watched by Patty or that he would run to her with what he knew in an attempt to get back in Patty's good graces.

17. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I'm hoping AJRitz will pop by at some point.

This is my question for AJ:

Plaintiff hires new attorney.

New attorney discovers that her sister's new restaurant is being financed by the defendant.

There is an open question of whether the plaintiff knew of the relationship between the new hire/sister/defendant.

The sister is almost certainly going to be the key witness against the defendant.

Is it just me or isn't that a huge conflict of interest?

I know, I know, it's just a show, still I'm curious.

18. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    Legally speaking, there is no conflict of interest there, as long as new attorney hasn't done any legal work for sister (reviewing a purchase contract for restaurant equipment, as a favor, for example). Unless the attorney has an attorney-client relationship with a relative, there's no conflict. AFAIK, there's not even a cconflict if husband and wife are on opposite sides of a case, representing opposing parties.

19. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    In the show it is implied that the lawyer sister is the restaurant sister's lawyer.

20. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I don't think that was relevant to the plan. She fired him so he could keep doing the dirty work without Ellen suspecting, IMO. It didn't matter whether Ellen went to him for advice. Thus his comment about how only Patty could pull it off - Ellen knew why she was hired and yet still produced the witness.

I like this show a lot. I did see the dog plot twist ahead of time because I had faith that FX would go there and make this a bad guy vs bad guy and innocent caught in the middle. Ellen would seem to be worse than Vic Mackey to me, because Vic goes after real criminals who genuinely still present a threat to society for the most part. Ellen has committed crimes in the guise of going after a white collar criminal when the plaintiffs appear to be happy with an existing settlement offer and the criminal is basically retired.