Damages 8/21/2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Aug 23, 2007.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

This was the first episode that disappointed me. They could have condensed it to ten minutes of storyline between Ellen, Katie and David. The whole Tom story was one big circle. The clients fired Patty, hired Tom, Tom rejoins Patty, the clients end up with Patty again.

2. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Yeah, I wasn't disappointed, but I did find the episode so-so.

I thought for sure we'd find out that Tom's friend had been hired by Patty to first convince him to leave and then turn around and convince him to come back. As part of the strategy to 'lose' the clients then get them back with even more trust in her.

Or did we find out, and it went over my head?

3. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Many of the more important scenes with the one-night-stand guy were filmed in almost total darkness so that I couldn't see anything of what was going on.

I didn't really have a problem with this episode. Looking forward to the remainder of the season. Can't be too much longer now. I'd say 4-5 episodes left.

4. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    I enjoyed this episode, especially the Donal Logue guest appearance. I'm still fully aboard and can't wait to see how it all plays out.

5. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

Who was the old guy at the table when Tom "resigned"?

6. Lopey

Lopey Active Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Ormond...
    I think his name is Pete.. he's the mail/janitor at the firm.. He does some of Patty's dirty work

7. PeteEMT

PeteEMT NF2 Guy

Jul 24, 2003
    Unadilla, NY
    Uncle Pete, not sure if he's related though.

8. jgerry

jgerry save vinyl

Aug 29, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    I thought for sure that Patty was going to say she would hire Tom back, make sure his offer from the other firm was off the table, them unceremoniously fire him.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I believe that's the point of becoming a partner... no more chance of unceremonious firings on a whim.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    One thing I don't understand... Why does Ellen still work for Patty? She knows Patty is a shark and will stomp on anybody - including Ellen - to get what she wants.

Ok, one more thing I don't understand... Why would the clients take Patty back?

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    This was also the first episode I really didn't care for, but it might have to do with the fact that Katie has been shuffled off to the parents. The Ellen/Katie dynamic was really solid.

One of the highlights has been that we've had all these pinball-esque stories that occasionally bounce off each other and intersect at odd times, and now that they're in a groove, we don't have those random shifts. I enjoyed always being a bit off balance, this episode didn't feel that way, I felt like I was getting a handle on things..

So in that respect, I'm not sure that I enjoyed the "normalacy" of this part of the ride.

Diane

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Wasn't Uncle Pete the one who killed Katie's dog and gave the collar to Patty?

13. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1

with the exception of the flashback this was the first episode that was just so-so. i never found tom to be a major character so to have an episode almost devoted to his storyline seemed kinda off.

14. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I'm thinking there is a reason they needed him back to 'officially working for Patty status' beyond what has been said (bringing the clients back to Patty).

Of course, the client representative is corrupt and working with Frobisher (sp?) so I'm not sure what they've gained besides being back with Patty. What would happen if this fact comes into the open?

15. konder8u

konder8u New Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I enjoyed this episode, especially the Donal Logue guest appearance. I'm still fully aboard and can't wait to see how it all plays out.

16. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    The show is all over the place. Despite her reputation Patty is a horrible attorney and Ted Danson's character is inconsistent. One week it's settle at any cost because of family, then it's about his name, and once again it's settle because he can drop from 100 million to 75. The guy is stated to be worth 2 billion. Does he have any consistent motivation?

17. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    The episode was enjoyable enough, but by the end of it we were in pretty much the same place we were in the beginning. The only thing I can think is that they'll be some kind of payoff for Tom's troubled career arc somewhere down the road.

Oh, and Patty drinks Bud Light from the bottle? Unlikely.

18. betativoII

betativoII Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Even worse, she was drinking it from a can. Ugh.

19. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Yes - he gave it to Tom, and he gave it to Patty.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Very interesting that Patty's apartment was completely clean at the end. They even replaced the glass in the door! That's pretty impressive; how long to do you think Ellen waited before telling them anything?

Of course as soon as the cops opened the door I knew there wouldn't be anything there.

Do you suppose that Ellen really didn't recognize the person who tried to kill her? If she knows him then it should be pretty simple to back up her story (after all, they guy is dead so at the very least, he won't be around anymore even if they can't find a body).

I agree with dswallow: the scenes with Greg were way too dark. Were they shot like that or is FX just doing a bad job with it?

A "meh" episode; I also think it just went in a big circle to no apparent purpose. Of course, maybe we'll find out differently in the future.