Damages-8/14/07-SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Werd2406, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, can SOMEONE explain that whole closing scene? Why did the "mysterious hook up" lie about who "they saw"? Who was the old man in the hat? And why the hell did he go into the apartment?? Thanks.

2. HereBDragons

HereBDragons New Member

May 16, 2007
    I think the old man with the hat is either the Broker, or someone related to the Broker. There is obviously some relationship between the Old Man and the Hookup (father/son, uncle/nephew), as the Old Man walked into the house like he owned it and was comfortable there.

The Hookup also sold his stock in the company before it went under, indicating he had some inside information. So he must have gotten that from the Old Man, and now the Old Man used that as leverage to get him to lie to the girl.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it goes beyond that. When the Old Man came into the Hookup's room and saw Sis not quite passed out on the couch, he freaked out and quickly backed out of sight. So clearly he was worried about being recognized by her even then. I'm guessing his entire affair with her (past the first night) was a plan to keep her under surveillance.

It's odd, however, that Patty and her minions never made a connection between the Hookup and the Old Man (who must have been on the list of people Sam Malone shouldn't have met with in Florida, or else he wouldn't be so worried about being recognized).

Unless they did..?

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Has anyone else lost audio to the entire FX station?

I have a Series 3 HD.

I went to watch Damages last night live and NO AUDIO!

5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

That was clever of Patty, tricking them into pulling the offer without burning her real witness.

I'm a bit confused as to why Katie was so upset at the end. I mean, in the end the deposition didn't reveal (publicly) any of her private life, other than that she had a one night stand. The only reason she should be upset was that she perjured herself, but she could just say that she was still convinced the guy she saw was Richardson--they can't prove she's lying. She could be honestly mistaken. The worst she'd be guilty of is overstating her confidence in her identification.

I guess she knows Greg used her and that can't feel good, and Ellen now knows Katie's secrets but... it still seems like an overreaction. Based on the pounding she was going to take in court I'd think she'd be secretly relieved to not be testifying.

6. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Patty seems to know what she is doing with the case but in all other things, I'd say she is very unstable. Let's hope this instability doesn't interfere with the case or isn't responsible for what is happening in "the present".

I really hope enough people are watching this show so it isn't in danger of cancellation.

7. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    There wasn't a fuss made about the confidentiality agreement, which was odd. But it does appear she lost the backing for the restaurant. At the end we can see a sign (from the rear ) in the glass on the door that says "restaurant for lease". So while she might not get sued to oblivion, she does seem to have lost her investor.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think more to the point, she walked away. Last we saw her, she was driving in a loaded-up car, presumably leaving town. She'd been used by Patty (and her sister), betrayed by her boyfriend, had her idealism shattered, her restaurant was being financed by a man trying to shut her up, and really had nothing to stick around for.

9. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Looks like the premiere had almost 4 million viewers, which is pretty good for cable tv. I'm sure its averaging somewhere in the mid-3's each week. The Riches averaged 3.7 million viewers per episode, and that was picked up. I have a feeling Damages has a very good chance of being renewed. Plus the BBC has picked it up for viewers in the UK.

Not to mention that this show is just simply incredible. I was hooked on day one.

10. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Used by Patty's sister? Who's that? ;)

Ellen is not Katie's sister: Ellen is engaged to David, Katie's brother.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You're right, I meant (said, really) Ellen's sister, and you're right, she's actually her financée-in-law. :D

12. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Was her financée-in-law. The engagement was called off.

13. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Just started watching this one, and I am most intrigued. Really clever the way this whole thing has developed.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I like the show, but I must admit I'm finding it to be taking on some elements of 24... unnecessary complexity and impractical scenarios of one event leading to another leading to another leading to yet another being supposedly predicted in advance.

I'm tiring of the flash-back/flash-forward storytelling technique. So far I feel like I have no need to know the future events at this point; the story stands up well without it. It sometimes feels like it's being used just to drag out each episode more.

15. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Since it premiered in the summer I just assumed it would be a one-shot, limited run show.

16. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Not necessarily. FX premiers new series year round.

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    What I don't get is that they had a 100 million dollar offer on the table with a case so weak the judge is threatening a summary judgement and Glenn Close is pulling end arounds to trick her clients out of taking it.

Don't great lawyers take the easy money and find the next victim?

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's what good lawyers do.

Great lawyers find a way to get more! (And obviously Patty has a scheme in mind to do just that...)

19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Actually a great lawyer today is one who negotiates great settlements without needing to use resources. This case is taking a lot of time and involves shaddy dealings (setting up a witness to perjure herself so the opposition revokes your client's settlement offer seems like a disbarrment offense to me). Obviously Patty has something brewing, but it better be a sure thing and even with that I'm not sure it's logically worth this type of career risk when you already have a $100M win. A great lawyer would just work to step that up to $250 million and move elsewhere.

Let's see if they can pull this off as realistic. I doubt it.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I had a Damages marathon with all of the episodes so far. I'd let them build up. I'm hooked. This is a very intriguing show. Speaking for myself, I like the mini and maxi flashback-y way each episode flows.