Damages 7/31/07 (*spoilers*)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by 5thcrewman, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 25
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I like the fake outs. The guy that Patty hired to 'take care of it,' who knew what Patty wanted, was the apartment wrangler! (Or is he more than just that!??)

Finally, Ted Danson showed a bit of despicability (other than wiping out his employee's retirements).
    Ordering a hit while coked up and doing a whore in a limo is good stuff!! :up: :D

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 25
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Yeah I think this is one of the best new shows around.

I'm also happy that WOR-TV in NY is showing it in hi-def tonight - first and second episodes.
    I'm hoping they will continue to air it.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 25
    mzgig

mzgig Owned by Cats

Jul 26, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Yes, it gets my vote. Will definitely keep it on my list. I love Glenn Close.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 25
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Having tough time though liking ANY of the characters. They are all scum. And the flashes of the new lawyer girl with the bookend in hand over dead boyfriend. UGH....
    Misdirection or is he in on it also?

I can see this show going bye bye like the Riches did for me. Good at first but long term interest may be tough.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 25
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Wow, you've been missing a great show.

Greg

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 25
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    If you are referring to the Riches I made it to the 3rd to last episode. Still have 2-3 on my Tivo. The whole maid/excon episode REALLY turned me off. Was just going nowhere.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 25
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Lucky for you then, that
    you're right: it was going nowhere. The maid character was only on that episode and hasn't been seen since, and didn't have much of an impact on the series.

8. Aug 4, 2007 #8 of 25
    bearymore

bearymore New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did anyone notice the blatant commercial for Olive Garden at the beginning of the show? It was at the birthday party. Ellie and the boyfriend were given a gift by his parents -- a gift certificate to the Olive Garden. When Ellie opened the envelope she said something like "Thank you, thank you -- the Olive Garden. It's just like family." Clearly the last part was an Olive Garden commercial slogan. I found this incredibly jarring. It took me right out of the show. Let's see, a high powered Manhattan lawyer and her doctor boyfriend with a sister who is opening a gourmet restaurant are given a gift certificate to the Olive Garden. This absolutely thrills them? Somehow, I don't think so.

If they are going to insert commercials, they at least need to keep them in character. This reminds me of the Hallmark mysteries. You know the bad guy from the start. He's the one driving a Cadillac. All the good guys drive Chryslers. Kind of ruins the suspense.

9. Aug 4, 2007 #9 of 25
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And yet her delivery was like "Oh, swell. Olive Garden. JUST what I always wanted." The context was this is the gift uncouth people cluelessly give their upwardly mobile relatives, who are embarrassed by it.

If it was product placement (and I agree it probably was), they pretty effectively subverted it.

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The level of disdain for Olive Garden by some people here is amusing. And quite undeserved. But I agree with the way you described its delivery. But even then, I still had a momentary craving for bread sticks and something simple like fettuccine Alfredo. :)

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I think apartment wrangler guy also had the place bugged so Patty can keep an eye (ear) on them.
    I just watched episodes 1 and 2 back to back. I'm hooked.

12. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    did they actually show it in HD?

DC20 the local mynetworkTV affiliate didn't run it in HD. Not sure if this was the station being asleep at the switch or what.

13. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    Agreed. I, too, took it as more of a swipe at Olive Garden than a commercial for them.

14. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I checked my local station that was rebroadcasting it, and they showed it in stretch-o-vision, not HD.

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    The timeline is a little fuzzy to me. The action on the show is supposed to happening six months prior to the death of the fiance and her running out of the building from the first episode. Can six months really be covered in the eleven remaining episodes?

I'm not even going to comment on the believability of the overall storyline.

That said, I continue to think given other options for Summer programming, this is the best show to watch. By far.

16. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I have absolutely no clue what you guys are talking about with the apartment wrangler. I guess I wasn't paying a lot of attention when I watched in at 1 am on saturday.

17. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    I missed the Olive Garden. :confused:

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Patty gives Tom a manila envelope and he says "are you sure you want to do this?" and she says yes. You then see Tom sitting at an outdoor cafe table with a guy, and Tom tells him to do what he does, but to "go easy". The other guy says that Patty has used his company before and he knows exactly what she wants.

At this point we're all thinking he's supposed to dig into Ellen's life or her fiance's life, or maybe plant evidence to discredit her, or who knows what.

Then Patty gives Ellen the keys to a new apartment and when they show up at the apartment, the guy who lets them in to look around (the "apartment wrangler") is the guy Tom gave the envelope to.

So, now we're wondering what that was all about: it seems too much for that guy to just be Patty's real estate agent who found the apartment. One suggestion made here that seems very reasonable to me is that he bugged the apartment before handing it over to Ellen and her fiance.

19. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Man, I must really not have been paying attention. I thought that guy was the same guy that attempted to kill Ellen's witness friend. :eek:

20. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    I have to think that the apartment was bugged, prior to Patty giving Ellen the keys. I just LOVE this show. Sure, everyone is scum... but - good story line. Good twists!
    Can't wait to watch tonight's !