Dallas Time Warner Tivo S3 issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SQChevy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SQChevy

SQChevy New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I apologize if this is a repeated thread. I live in North Dallas and have Time Warner as a service provider. I tried to update to the lastest channel lineup but the Tivo lineup for my usual area hasn't been updated and the other one is close for most things but is still a little bit different. Also, I am losing my premium and digital channels. I have nothing over 100 really. Has anyone else had this issue and if so have they figured out how to fix it yet? I have a guy from cable company coming tuesday so let me know if I need to mention something specific to him. On a side note, the cable that comes from the wall runs through a 3 way splitter. One for the cable modem, one for the tv (which has a cable card), and 1 for Tivo (with 2 cable cards). Does anyone know if I need an amplifer for the signal?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I live in north Dallas and haven't seen any lineup changes. According to TWC's site, there are no changes planned, other than some new on-demand HD channels.

3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If the splitter is from time warner it should be fine.

Try unpluging the tivo for 10 minutes. Reconnect it, then rerun guided setup.

4. onefast1

onefast1 New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I live in Valley Ranch and I only had one issue with ESPNHD,2 not showing a picture. I called TWC and they fixed it over the phone. All I had to do was restart the unit and everything has worked fine since.

5. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    I'm still trying to get installed.

My installer was supposed to be here between 8 and 11 this morning. It is now 2:40, I've called three times and the last call they assured me I'd have someone here in 30 minutes.

That was at 2pm.

I've waited two weeks for this installation, too. I am not happy and find myself regretting my decision to dump DirecTV.

6. SQChevy

SQChevy New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Well, I'm in the area known as Dallas MDU. They changed things last weekend. It is supposed to be Time Warner Dallas Updated. Does anyone know if you can get more choices for the line-up if, after putting in zip code you say that your cable provider is not in the line up? I've called TW and they are useless for the most part. All they want to do is send a signal to the cards.

7. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    An update, I got totally stiffed by Time Warner. No install happened. A total noshow with no phone call either.

I called them 7 times over the course of the day and got various (broken) promises about when the installer would show.

This relationship is NOT off to a good start.

8. littlelibo

littlelibo New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    The tech just left my house... Here's the weird thing. He installed 2 cards which had stickers on them that say "1 way"

When we inserted the first one, the screen showed "multi-stream"

He said that can't be right and installed the second one anyway.

When they left, i got a message telling me to remove the second card as it won't be used...

So... is there a way to tell what I have?

9. littlelibo

littlelibo New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    I am checking the rest of my channels and I am not getting my ESPNHD, ESPN2HD or HBOHD channels...

Also, my HDNET, MOJO, & UHD are coming in with no audio

Any help?

10. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    I had the same issue on HDNET, MOJO and UHD. I restarted the box and it came back.

This is a lot less reliable than it ought to be, huh?

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Unplug the Tivo. Pop the card and look.

If this is a Motorola M-stream CableCARD, it will have a pink/red sticker on the front that says "M-CARD" and MediaCipher. The part # on the back is 514517-002-00.

I don't know the info for SA or NDS cards, so post it here if you have those.

Replace the card and plug the TiVo back in.

(I'll bet $20 you have an M-stream card - I can't believe the Tivo would display that message if not. If so, return the second card and save a few $$)

12. Interactive

Interactive New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I had the same problem with my install. There was a problem with the way the cards had been programmed. They hadn't been authorized for the right packages. They sent a tech out to my home (which of course is a major pain...) but really, all the changes needed to be made in their system. They're just too stupid to know how to troubleshoot this.

If only they could properly document the troubleshooting steps for the phone reps, they could save tons of money on NOT sending field techs.

Then they could improve our service.... ok, now I'm dreaming.

13. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    Now that my installation issues have settled down, I am seeing this same problem myself. Rebooting the box fixes it every time. It's always channels over 100 that disappear. 220, 240, 241.

Please let me know what ends up fixing it for you - I am trying a Clear and Delete Everything right now on my box.

14. SQChevy

SQChevy New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I don't wish to do all of that on mine since I have so much set up on it at the moment and I'm not even sure I have the correct Time Warner setup. I'm pissed right now because there was a short outage in the area and my appointment go cancelled and now I have to wait until Saturday til they can get there.

15. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    C&DE didn't fix it, my box died. See "TivoHD Died Today" thread.

16. SQChevy

SQChevy New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Well I sent the following message to Time Warner. Lets see what kind of response I get.

I have been trying to deal with your tech support as of late and they have proven they know nothing about cable cards. I have called because 2 of my cable cards in my TIVO S3 are no longer getting most channels over 100 and even some of them under 100 are not coming in either (I know 62 Comedy Central for sure). I also have a cable card in my TV and it is having the same problem. Every time I call they put me on hold for about 10 minutes and then keep trying to send a reset signal even though I have told them it has been done before and wasn't working. Last time this happened someone came with extra cable cards just in case, but ended up calling in and then the problem was fixed. I know once it was because the data about my cable cards was lost, the other time they had to add another line (something internal on the Time Warner side - no appointment needed). There also seems to be no high level tech for cable tv. I have asked for a level 2 tech and I get sent to people who deal with internet service. This is the third time this has happened in the year I have had service at this residence. I'm paying for all of the premium channels yet for about the last month (since a week or so before the Upgraded Time Warner line up was done) most of those channels have not been received by the primary TV (95% of television watched is on the Tivo and TV with cablecard). Also, I was supposed to have a technician come to my place yesterday, but do to a outage I am forced to reschedule and the earliest is Saturday evening. I have already had to wait about a week for the first appointment and now having to wait 4 more days for the next. In fact my appointment had been cancelled and no one had taken the time to try and contact me to let me know. I had to call last night around 7pm and then I found out there was an outage in the area and the person I talked to said 1 to 2 days for an appointment and then I called back and I had to complain to get one for Saturday. I hope that something can be done to improve the quality of service that Time Warner has been offering lately. I enjoy the programming, but I don't wish to be paying for services I am not recieving. I look forward to your response. Thank you and have a nice day.

Roland

17. SQChevy

SQChevy New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Alright, so about 15 minutes after I posted my message I got a call from Time Warner in response to my message. It was a different guy who said his cable card guru is off today but is working tomorrow. What time will I be available? I was shocked. He gave me his office and cell number for future reference and said if I called it would be that day or next and he would have someone out there. We will see if he is able to fix my problem tomorrow. May get to cancel that Saturday appt.