DailymailJazz and email providers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by SteveMcC, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SteveMcC

SteveMcC New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm trying to resurrect DailymailJazz again as I miss it. Had to stop using it when I couldn't find an email account I could get it to work with. My ISP doesn't provide any email system, so that's not an option.

Saw on this thread:

mention of using VirtualNames service or similar to get round the problem.

Can someone explain what I'd need to do if I set up my own domain (presumably the free offering from VirtualNames wouldn't work)? Does this get round the encryption/authentication setup?

I tried using one of the paid-for services from DynDNS a couple of years ago (can't remember what the product was called as they seem to have renamed things!) but never got it to work through that for some reason (authentication errors, if I remember), so let that service lapse.

Cheers
    Steve

2. Heuer

Heuer New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Nottinghamshire
    Why not use Gmail? Easy to set up an account and it seems to work for my various NAS servers, weather station and UPS notifications although I have never tried it with Dailmail.

3. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    GMail uses TLS/SSL encryption, which DailyMail doesn't like.

4. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    I tried my primary account talk21.com a.k.a. Btinternet a.k.a. Yahoo but couldn't get it to authenticate.
    I tried my gmail account without success.
    I ended up using the virgin.net account with my adsl broadband account (ironic now I suppose) which accepted the Base64 encoding.
    I'm not sure what DNS/domain itself has to do with it, I thought it was to do with mail server authentication but I'm not professing any expert knowledge as my DailyMail implementation was the result of head banging perseverance not skill :)

5. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    A lot of ISPs have blocked SMTP relay sending, where you have a valid email account but are trying to send via a different ISP - the only way you can send through their servers is when you are connected to the network or via webmail. Some 'independent' webmail-based services will not allow SMTP via port 25, e.g. GMail requiring the secure TLS or SSL protocols instead, which TiVo can't handle.

I have this problem when looking at work emails on my phone - I can receive them ok but can't send out as I have to be on their network, so I end up using the T-Mobile relay and spoofing my work email address (which they are perfectly happy with me doing).

For TiVo DailyMails, I use the Sky User Forum SMTP relay service, which is free to anyone signed up to Sky User (who are not connected in any way to Sky themselves).

6. SteveMcC

SteveMcC New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Trinitron,
    Thanks. I'll try the Sky User Forum SMTP route. Don't have an account for that forum yet (though I do have the standard Sky email account), so will register for one.

Once I create an account, what parameters do I need to enter into Dailymail Config file? Just the new username plus its password?

Cheers

7. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Just remembered that you also need to be on Sky broadband to use it, hope that's not a problem.

I used AUTH PLAIN with base-64 encoded username & password
    mailserver: mail.skyusermail.com
    IP: 77.240.11.49

8. SteveMcC

SteveMcC New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Rats! I'm not on Sky Broadband. Have to use Satellite Broadband where I am.

Oh well, back to the drawing-board.

Any other suggestions for getting this to work?

Cheers, Steve

9. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    You only need an smtp service - why not set up your own?

Here's one picked at random

You only need to use this for your tIvo - of course you _could_ use it to spam the world as well - although I'm not suggesting it! :)

10. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Two issues with that:
    1) You need to connect to a PC to send the email
    2) Not all ISPs allow SMTP relays

@Steve, there are a few free SMTP providers out there. softhome.net is one I have used in the past, looks like they still use SMTP AUTH so should work with TiVo.