daily update won't complete

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by clivegriffiths, Dec 17, 2007.

1. clivegriffiths

clivegriffiths New Member

Feb 24, 2002

Advertisements

Hey all, I seem to be having a problem updating my TiVo guide data. Basically my TiVo hasn't been permanently connected to the phone line since I moved home about 3 months ago (because there isn't a phone socket in the room), to ensure we have guide data to record I have been running a telephone extension lead to the TiVo once a week and manually doing the daily call. That seems to have been working fine until this weekend ..

I'd been away all last week and then realised on Saturday afternoon (when browsing the TiVo and it said less than 7 days of data left) that I must have forgotten to do the daily call the previous weekend (15th/16th). Anyway, I connected it up as usual and did the manual daily call but it failed (showed up as call interrupted). Figured it was just someone trying to get through and started it again, but after about 8 attemps over Saturday and Sunday, it still won't complete successfully. It connects fine (I've even done 'test connection' or whatever its called and it connected fine). I've even starts downloading the data because it says onscreen its downloading and the yellow light is on, etc, but then later I check and its failed again, always call interruption. Could the fact that its has so much to download (because it hasn't been downloaded in so long) be causing it the modem to timeout? or maybe noise on the line? Any tips to get this sorted would be appreciated!

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It should manage it okay as even a complete guide setup / data download can be done over the phone.

Do you have any other gadgets on the phone line that may also want to make a call e.g. sky box, other person, etc

If so it may be worth unplugging them and having another go.

Automan.

3. clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    Well there is there ADSL filter, then double socket and the extension lead in plugged into that as is the house phone. I'll try and disconnect all the others this evening and see if that works any better.

4. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Also remember call waiting - that blows any modem connection out of the water.

5. Jan 5, 2008 #5 of 16
    clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002

Advertisements

Okay, still haven't resolved this. Had to go back home to the folks for a few weeks and only just got back. We now have no guide data at all. Have tried disconnecting everything, tired it with just the ADSL filter and as before it downloads for about 10-15 mins, then stops and says failed 'call interuped'. Have restarted TiVo (powered off) and still no sucessful daily call. Given how many times I've done a forced daily call and the fact that we hardly get any calls on the house phone, I find it hard to believe its call waiting or someone trying to get through.

Since I posted originally, my housemate has bought a new set of phones. On the last cordless phone we use to get a lot of noise and I just assumed it was the phone. But I made a call this morning on the new handsets and there was lots of noise again. On both phone, the noise can (at times) be so bad sometimes you'd have to wait 30 secs for it to clear up to carry on talking ...

So now I'm thinking there is so much noise on the line that after 10 mins or so the modem drops the call? Can I get BT to do anything about the noise? The annoying this is, its been fine for months, but I suspect I got away with it because the daily download time (even when I left it a week for a daily call) wasn't too long. Any other suggestions beside maybe speaking to BT about the line?

6. Jan 5, 2008 #6 of 16
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Yes BT must ensure your line is silent so that you can hold normal voice based phone calls. Bizarrely and perversely useless Ofcom (telecoms regulator) has failed to so far impose any minimum standards for the quality of the line for data transmission. But if the line is silent for voice you will get both data transmission via modem and a faster sync speed on an ADSL connection.

Dial 17070 on your phone and after the announcement select Option 2 for the Quiet Line test. If you hear any noise on the line then log a complaint with either BT or whoever else you now pay your line rental bill to.

They cannot charge you for making a noisy phone line quiet again unless the fault is on your own home wiring. You can rule this out by taking the face plate off your BT master socket (the two screws for the plate on the lower half) and plugging directly in to the master socket as at this point all extension wiring in your household is disconnected.

7. Jan 5, 2008 #7 of 16
    clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    Problem its one of those really old sockets, so its not got anywhere behind the plate to plug into. I've checked the line and (17070 thingy and also online via bt.com) and its reckons no fault (although not sure noise shows up on that test), only thing is if I call them out, and its the wall sockets, then they'll charge me :mad:

8. Jan 5, 2008 #8 of 16
    clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    .. actually, while I'm trying to get this sorted. We have Sky as the channel line up, but we don't currently subscribe, so I just have the FTA channels. If I were to customise the channels we recieve (as far as TiVo is concerned) to just say the 5 main channels (BBC, ITV, C4, etc) would that drastically shorterned the daily call its attempting (and therfore might complete before disconnecting) or does it download data for all the channels on Sky regardless?

9. Jan 5, 2008 #9 of 16
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No that doesn't help as the Tivo still downloads data for all the channels on the channel platforms you have told it you are using to watch television. So the length of your call won't vary but if you are downloading data every day then a phone call for the Sky platform shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Only a Guided Setup call takes around 20 minutes to download the data via phone line.

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    During the quiet test you are meant to listen to whether the line is actually quiet or not or if there is crackling on it. The automated tests do not involve listening for crackle on the line.

11. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    If a daily call has not worked for a few of weeks - the daily call will have to download nearly as much data as a guided setup.

The last three days worth of data downloaded in one go will not be much less the the time taken for each of the 3 days if they had worked each day.

Saturday/Sunday calls take much longer than a Monday call - as they is more data to download.

12. clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    well there was a little bit of noise, but its always been intermittent, so its difficult to tell. To be fair, the more I think about it, it could well be that its bad wiring, the wiring inside is terrible, with all sorts of extensions coming out of the main box, although when I say main box, its the old fashion (rounded corners says GPO on it) box as it comes in by the window and then a lead goes to a smaller BT box (about the size of a box of matches, but has no port to connect a phone direct into it) and then there are two leads that run from them to one wall socket, and then one extension lead kinda socket.

13. clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    OMG, I'm giddy with excitement, after what must be like the 40th attempt it finally did a sucessful forced daily call :eek: its processing the data now :D. Was getting so stressed .. I'm so leaving it permanently connected to the phone now, even though it means leads running all over the place (we don't have a phone socket in that room yet). Anyway, thanks all for you tips/advice.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    That is obviously a seriously bad phone line. You should report it as noisy and crackling and get BT to investigate. They cannot charge you unless they actually enter your home so if you get them to check out the exchange and other wiring first that shouldn't cost anything.

But given your chronic old GPO socket I really think it might be worth paying BT to install a new Master socket and then connect an ADSL modem router to that and go to an entirely wireless voip based phone solution via that wireless router.

You could actually fit a new master socket yourself as although technically its a breach of BT's terms and conditions they are still available from places such as www.solwise.co.uk/telesun.htm#NTE5 The necessary wiring diagrams are floating around on the internet and all you then need is the relevant professional phone wire punching tool to push the wires in to the sockets. Or you can try using one of the cheap 99p tools but they are less reliable.

15. clivegriffiths

Feb 24, 2002
    I was contenplating just that, but worried it case I messed it up. Maybe I'll do as you said and having them check the exchange, etc first. If thats all okay, then maybe attemp to rewire myself. What I don't want to happen is them come out, say its the crappy wiring inside and then ask for £120 call out fee. BTW, now that its updated and just needs a few minutes downloading for the daily call it has no probs connecting (it had done another daily call early this morning sucessfully).

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...