Daily Show, Colbert Report Season Pass

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ITGuy72, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ITGuy72

ITGuy72 New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Hi there, new to TiVo here so please be gentle! I'm having a hard time setting up a Season pass for these shows without getting a bunch of repeats each day. I set it to record only First Runs. It should only record the 11pm Daily Show and 11.30pm Colbert Report each day. Can I set it for a specific time slot so I don't get all the superfuous repeats?
    ------
    EDIT: I think I found the answer..does this cover it???

"A "First Run" season pass will record the selected program, if the OAD is within the last 28 days and the program has not already been recorded. So, (OAD + 28) is the time window that a program can be recorded as first run.

Additionally, the "28 day no re-record" rule is enforced for any specific episodic program (EP records), movies (MV records), sporting event (SP record) or one-time airing showing record (SH record). Programs of these types will only be recorded once within the 28 day period. This feature prevents the same program from being recorded multiple times. "

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The guide data for these shows is notorious for being frequently incomplete. When the data is incomplete the TiVo errs on the side of caution and records the show. My path of least pain is to schedule manual recordings for each night of the week Mon-Thurs (e.g., record 11 PM Monday, 11 PM Tuesday, etc) and deal with the cases where something else airs on Comedy Central at that time.

3. ITGuy72

ITGuy72 New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Would'nt it be nice if there was a "Season Pass in this timeslot" option?

4. cxc273

cxc273 New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I use the same method of just setting Tivo to record Monday through Thursday at the 11 p.m. timeslot and it works pretty well for me.

The only real annoying thing is whenever the show goes on hiatus for a week or two on occasion, when it records the reruns. Still it works well enough for me. Ideally, the program data would be more complete, but such is life.

5. bugmenever

bugmenever Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Had the same problem and found this tip online

http://www.nofactzone.net/?p=2735

Basically it makes a wishlist auto-record that filters out the reruns. I used "Discuss current issues" as the thumbs down keyword for the Colbert Report

6. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Giving credit where credit is due, the "No Fact Zone" instructions were lifted from this post (made three weeks earlier) by TCF member Martin Tupper about how to create a Daily Show WL that will eliminate repeats, multiple recordings, etc. Since implementing his directions back in November we have never received a repeat...even through the writer's strike. Thanks again Martin! :up: (No discredit to bugmenever of course ;))

7. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    I'm going to set this up as soon as I get home tonight. Exciting!

I've been doing manual records 5 days a week, deleting the stand-up comedy on Friday nights, deleting reruns as they turn up... and recently deleting the Tivo suggestion recordings. (I didn't feel right giving Daily Show and Colbert Report thumbs down to discourage the tivo suggestions.)

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Getting repeats of a show as Tivo suggestions when you have an SP set to FRO is not limited to these two shows. I think suggestions should only be listed in the suggestions folder. If I wanted them recorded I wouldn't have a SP for first run only.

9. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    And my "Group by Show" folders...... regardless of where they end up, I still gotta delete them (or, technically, let them fall off the tivo suggestions of their own volition)

10. Burrens

Burrens New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Austin
    Thanks for this tip. Hated the reruns in the Daily Show folder. FYI, I also applied the tip to the Colbert Report.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    We should actually be crediting long-time TCF member Martin Tupper for coming up with these instructions and sharing them on this post back in November. It's good to see that NoFactZone is giving him credit now. :up: In any case...it still works. Thanks (again) Martin! :)

12. sgreen0

sgreen0 New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    I've set Tivo to record Daily Show and Colbert Report in the way suggested above. For some reason, I'm still getting a lot of Colbert Report repeats especially on Sunday nights and Mondays.

Also, on their show hiatus', I still get Colbert, even though Jon Stewart is NOT recorded...

Any suggestions?

Stephen Green

13. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Cancel/clear it out and program it again following the directions exactly. It works perfectly for us.

14. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Will this work? I am not at home so I can't see for sure, but according to the online guide, only a few of the repeats have "discuss current events" in their description. Most of them are blank.

Plus, what happens if the new episodes switch back to using "discuss current events" in their descriptions?

15. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    OK, this will not work. Both The Colbert Report and The Daily Show will not work this way because both the new shows and the reruns have nothing in the description. So, creating a ARWL that excludes something in the description would not exclude the newest reruns.

I guess a manual recording is all that will work?

16. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Apparently the Tupper Method (tm) works fine for loads of folks. As Rich suggested you should clear your WLs and follow the instructions to the letter.

17. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    While I admit I have not tried the Tupper Method, I don't see how it can work. If you are recording everything except those episodes with a certain sentance in the description, how will that exclude all these reruns that don't have anything in the description?

For those of you that gets this to work, what is the description for these shows? In our area, there is no description.

For instance, look at the attached file. This is what my tivo shows for the upcoming episodes of TDS. If I have a ARWL that only excludes episodes that have a certain description, I have only excluded 3 episodes.

Maybe it is something that can't be explained. Maybe it is some little odd glitch that the ARWL is able to pick the correct ones out and the season pass can't, but standing on this side of it, I don't see a logical reason why this would work. I guess I need to just try it and see.

Attached Files:

18. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Don't know if this helps but the Tupper Method is also set to record new episodes only. Maybe if the information is completely blank the original air date several years old (on many programs such as Leno/Letterman it defaults to the original date the show aired with that host).

19. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    I actually use the Tupper method and over the last two days it hasn't worked (it worked flawlessly for months before that). I think Comedy Central has started using the "new episode" blank guide data for all time slots (rather than the generic guide data for the reruns). I sincerely hope that won't continue... It affects both Colbert/Daily Show.

20. whitenack

whitenack New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I have my season pass set to record new episodes, but that doesn't work.

On both new and reruns, the guide data has (R), which I think means rerun. I don't know how the season passes and ARWL even get any shows.