Daily show 6/1 - Boiling Frog Myth

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TreborPugly, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1 of 27
    TreborPugly

TreborPugly Unreal!

May 2, 2002
    Eastern TN

Advertisements

I just watched yesterday's Daily show, and he had Bob Woodruff on, who's promoting a special that I guess was on tonight, about a "worst case" scenario for the future of human beings in this world.

He used the common myth about boiling a frog: If you put a frog in boiling water, it will hop out right away. If you put it in cool water, and gradually heat up the water, it won't notice until it is too late.

Not only did Woodruff use the scenario as an example, he said "It's true!" while using the scenario. Jon just nodded and continued the conversation. Given his regularly confrontational nature for some authors, I was really hoping for him to say, "Um, no.. that's a myth, and it's well established that it's a myth."

I had to google it and check out snopes before I posted here, but my memory is correct - this is just an urban legend. Experiments have been done, not to boil frogs, but find out how warm the water can get before they insist on jumping out. Even though they are cold blooded, they have nerves and know when it's too hot for them.

I really hope Jon points out that he ignored a silly myth sometime later this week!

2. Jun 3, 2009 #2 of 27
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There's no way they'd do that one on Mythbusters.

3. Jun 3, 2009 #3 of 27
    blogan

blogan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Liberal media gives free pass to liberal media! News at 11!

4. Jun 3, 2009 #4 of 27
    suresha

suresha New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    why not, it will be a fun show:p

5. Jun 3, 2009 #5 of 27
    danschn

danschn Member

Apr 22, 2004
    New York

Advertisements

Actually, Jon's comment was "Why would you do that to a frog?"

6. Jun 3, 2009 #6 of 27
    dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I never really considered whether this was literally true or not. It's so insightful about aspects of human nature that it doesn't really matter whether it applies to frogs :p

7. Jun 3, 2009 #7 of 27
    alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Same thing goes for lemmings. They don't commit mass suicide, but it's a useful metaphor.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #8 of 27
    Wheens

Wheens Member

Jan 1, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Particularly to "useful idiots" like the MSM.

9. Jun 3, 2009 #9 of 27
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Maybe he didn't know?

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'd be surprised if he knew. This thread is the first time I ever heard that it was a myth. Then again... who freaking cares?

But this thread did find me a couple of posters to add to my ignore list. :rolleyes:

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Being that I witnessed Bob Woodward actually make up a new version what I just saw happen with him just an hour earlier I'd rather believe the frog would reach out and slap him.

Bottom line: Jim Belushi is right. Woodward made up his John Belushi bio out of whole cloth.

I'm also convinced, as is his family, he made up talking to the comatose former CIA director William Casey.

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Jon Stewart's guest was Bob Woodruff, not Bob Woodward.

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Iceberg, Steinberg.... :D

14. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Jon Stewart even made the "Woodruff and Birnbaum broke the Waterfence story" joke at the top of the show.

15. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    That's probably the case. I've never heard one way or the other myself, so in the same situation I probably wouldn't bother to challenge something that was intended as an analogy to illustrate a principle and wouldn't prove the principle even if it wasn't a myth anyway.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think it was World News Now where I saw them show this clip from the Daily Show (and I haven't watched the whole DS episode yet), but that was my first reaction..

I think someone should mail in to Mythbusters for them to try out the myth!

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    < Emily Latella >

Oh.

That's quite different then.

Nevermind.

< /Emily Latella >

18. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Oh my God it's a liberal conspiracy!!!

19. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    What's the point of the metaphor if it isn't true? Why compare humans to frogs in boiling water if you have to make up how frogs in boiling water act in order to allow for the comparison to humans?

If we're going to be making up scenarios, then I could just as easily say, "If you put a frog in boiling water, it will hop out right away. If you put it in cool water, and gradually heat up the water, it will adapt and be able to survive in the water no matter how hot it gets. Humans, like the frog, will adapt to whatever environmental changes happen so we don't need to worry about pollution as long as there are no drastic changes."

20. secondclaw

secondclaw Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Florida
    Somebody tested it:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/01/frog.html

And wiki has entire history of that 'myth' ... not to say its always accurate but at least its an interesting read.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Metaphor does not need to relate only realistic subjects - it only needs to link subjects that have similarity (even if one of them is a debunked myth) - metaphors can be derived from shared experience or common knowledge as well. The reason it works as "A" metaphor is that this is a fairly old and established myth (though not well exposed), so if people are familiar with the Frog story they can link the two subjects. However I would agree that it does not work as THE metaphor for climate change, as it links to a subject that seem to be have traits contrary to what Bob W is trying to argue (in reality, not in the Myth).