Daily reboot Edge

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Kiricenkov, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Kiricenkov

Kiricenkov New Member

Jun 5, 2011

Advertisements

Edge worked OK for about a month. Last 4 days it does not connect to TV when I turn on the TV in the morning. Works OK after I unplug & restart it. Any ideas?

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    If you have standby mode set maybe turn it off. Saves minimal power anyway.

3. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Maybe a faulty HDMI cable?? Maybe not completing the “handshake “... Try switching over to another just to rule it out.

4. johnbrown44

johnbrown44 New Member

May 10, 2015
    Occasionally I will get a black screen when turning TV on. Changing the channels brings picture back. I leave my 2 Tivos on all the time, so I can share recordings. I used to put them in standby, but the fan always runs anyway, and I understand the buffers are also recording when in stdby. Auto stdby turned off.

Agree may also be HDMI issue.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

In Standby, buffers are not recording. The fan does run, as does the HDD (debatable), and all audio & video is disabled. Power saving is about 2-3W.

If you check Diagnostics, all tuners are displayed. The counter Time Since Tune Start shows how long that tuner has been recording.

johnbrown44 likes this.
  6. johnbrown44

johnbrown44 New Member

May 10, 2015
    Thanks for the info on where to look to see if buffer recording is stopped when in standby. I verified they are not recording. I am going to upgrade the hard drive this weekend, so while the lid is off I will ck to see if it spins down in stdby. Another test can be to see if/when the drive spins down after a scheduled recording finishes while in stdby.

Even if it doesn't spin down, the fact that it is not constantly writing should give longer life to the hard drive. But it is a moot point for me, as I will leave them on, to share recordings.

It also seems a waste to have the cooling fan running 24/7 if in stdby. Fans tend to get noisier as they age. One would think it doesn't get hot when in stdby. I suppose I can check temps of various components while unit is open.

None of this is intended to save a few measly watts, it is to prolong the life of the unit, fan, and drive.

Update 2/17/21:Appears drives do not spin down in stdby. But have units set to go into stdby automatically. Don't need the recently acquired Roamio writing 4 channels worth of data when not in use.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021