Daily calls but no MRV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pauljb55, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1 of 29
    pauljb55

pauljb55 Now in Miami Beach

May 2, 2005
    Florida

Advertisements

Here is my issue that I have had for some time. I have two networked Tivo HDs and they make their daily calls just fine and download movies just fine...
    the problem is that they cant see eachother...If I disconnect the tivo wireless adapters on each unit and wait 3 or so minutes then reconnect...they show up on the others now playing list and can transfer shows....but if I come back an hour or so later...they are gone again...what gives?

2. Mar 7, 2009 #2 of 29
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    They are involved in a game of "hide and seek". (Sorry, I couldn't resist). I have no idea but at times one of my TiVo machines can't see the other either.

3. Mar 7, 2009 #3 of 29
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    A somewhat random idea would be that there's some issue with the wireless network.

Perhaps the wireless network name being used is the original pre-configured name that came with the router (like linksys, NETGEAR, default, and so on) and a nearby wireless network also has the same name. Heck, I have a unique wireless network name and a silly neighbor decided to name their wireless network the same as mine (well -- almost the same since they're using all lowercase and I'm not). You should always make your wireless network name something that's unique.

Or there can be some wireless interference -- if that's the case, moving the router to a different wireless channel can help in some cases.

- Bob

4. Mar 7, 2009 #4 of 29
    pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    I will try switching the channel...I have a unique name and its not broadcast.

5. Mar 8, 2009 #5 of 29
    pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida

Advertisements

Nope...No workie...scanned channels found one that was empty...both can still connect but can't see eachother...

6. Mar 8, 2009 #6 of 29
    lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You can try either a static IP address for each TiVo, or reserving an IP address for each in the router setup. Both have helped some people having this issue.

Also, when they can't see each other, verify that they're connecting to your network in the Settings, Phone & Network screen.

7. Mar 8, 2009 #7 of 29
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    One other thing I just though about when they can't see each other would be to go into the Advanced Troubleshooting screen (press zero + Thumbs Down in the Now Playing List). This will show all the TiVo boxes on the account and you can scroll from one to another -- and I think it will confirm the connection to each from this screen. It used to even show the number of recordings on each box -- but that was removed a few versions back.

8. Mar 8, 2009 #8 of 29
    pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    ok, tried reserving the ip address, resetup both network settings...still nothing...oh and the 0+thumbs down doesn't work. back to square one. if I want to transfer...I need to disconnect the adapters and reconnect them at the same time...I can transfer one item...this sucks

9. Mar 8, 2009 #9 of 29
    bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    The zero and Thumbs Down should work. You need to be on the Now Playing List first, then press and release the zero key, and then press and release the Thumbs Down key

The screen will show "Advanced Troubleshooting" at the top with the name of the DVR on the next line down -- along with "Transfers Enabled" (if they are) -- but it doesn't verify connectivity any more -- but it does show all the TiVo boxes on your account.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Check your TiVo account and make sure that all your TiVo are set for Allow transfers ..just an idea.

11. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    ahh, will try that bob...when I read your post that was 0+td...I read it as them at the same time...will try that.
    Les, thanks for the tip, but as you can see from above, I can transfer, but not on a consistent basis.

12. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The 0 + thumbsdown does show all the TiVos on the account. It even shows the one on my system that is unplugged (no power). Seems somewhat limited for troubleshooting, but I thank you, Bob, for pointing it out.

13. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A couple more ideas:
    1. look at the port configuration test results under settings/phone & network/network diagnostics. Does it say succeeded?

2. connect one of your TiVos to the network using a wired ethernet cable, replacing the wireless. If the two wireless adapters are somehow conflicting, then the behavior should clear up. I hope you have a cable long enough.

14. sburnside1

sburnside1 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Have you tried pinging the IP addresses that are in the Tivos from a PC? if they stop talking, they likely fall out of the mac-address table in your router.

I would try pinging both. If you can ping them, then check to see if they re-appear in each others Now Playing list. If so, I would see if the wireless router has something set thats dropping them, or causing them to dis-associate.

15. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    I have this problem in the past and never found out what caused/causes it but a simple reboot of both/all tivo's seems to do the trick/

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Just for giggles, what happens if you let the router broadcast the SSID for a few days?
    There are a handful of really odd things that can happen when the SSID isn't broadcast, certain devices can act unpredictably because they assume the name will be broadcast, the Tivo's may be in the middle of one of them :)

Diane

17. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    ok, thanks for the help.
    Broadcast was changed to yes, yesterday..same thing...
    used the 0 + td on each device and when you can see the other tivo but it doesnt have the host information...like the one I am looking at that says "local host", it also doesnt have the model or software info...I can look at the same screen on each tivo and they don't have the info of the other if that makes sense...both say transfers enabled

18. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    connected one via hard wire and checked port config before and after...same results...

19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When I had this problem on the series 2 (before TiVo had the Series3) the TiVo CSR told me to go to the TiVo sight turn off the transfer option on all my TiVos, force a call home on each TiVo in about an hour, the next day turn on the transfer mode on using the web sight wait a hour then force a call home on all TiVos, by the next day all should work OK, that did fix my problem but that was some 4 years ago..just another idea.

20. pauljb55

May 2, 2005
    Florida
    Will try that right now....updates in 24 hrs.