Daily call fails at download

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ShinobiGarth, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 #1 of 10
    ShinobiGarth

ShinobiGarth New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    my Sony SVR-2000 is failing the daily call now. just started happening recently, before that it was fine. im on the last day of data today and i have tried doing several daily calls, all have failed.

it seems to connect and start downloading, but after a couple minutes fails during the download part saying "call interrupted". so that means the phone cable and line is fine, just doesnt want to download. this problem has happened intermittently before, but its always managed to succeed when its tried automatically before it got to the last day. now, it wont work when it calls on its own nor will it when i tell it to call.

i have tried 3 different phone numbers in my town so far, out of 6 or 7. im not sure i have the patience to try them all when they will likely just fail anyway. any ideas?

2. May 5, 2011 #2 of 10
    ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    When all else fails, try rebooting. Mine fails occasionally with Failed Loading Series. A restart almost always fixes that.

3. May 5, 2011 #3 of 10
    ShinobiGarth

ShinobiGarth New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    by rebooting i assume you mean power cycling by unplugging from power for 30 seconds? i just tried that and it still didnt work.

at this point im starting to think the modem is on its way out. if thats the case, i dont know if i should get a new one or look for another box altogether.

4. May 6, 2011 #4 of 10
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The Series 1s has notoriously likely to go bad modems (you might want to google tivo external modem and start trolling Craigslist for external modems), but what you've got sounds like what a bunch of S1 owners went through last fall, and one year before that, so it's more likely the problem is on Tivo's end of things.

The reason those S1 modems go bad is that they're easily damaged by spikes on the line. Take the phone cord connecting the TiVo and tie a knot in it at each end. That creates what the extremely (relative to phone line frequencies) high frequency of a spike sees as a high inductive "opposition" to current flow (it's called inductive reactance and it's sort of like resistance, but frequency dependant).

Also plug it into the surge protector jacks on the UPS you should have your TiVo on.

I assume that your S1 is lifetimed. If not, google site:craigslist.org tivo, click on the search tools or options thingie on the left and choose past month and sort by date and look for a Series 2 double tuner selling for $10 to $30 bucks and transfer your subscription to that. Be aware that a lot of the sellers don't actually know what they have and often use the wrong picture. Get them to give you the TiVo Service Number off of the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in. It'll start with the first part of the model number.

5. May 6, 2011 #5 of 10
    ShinobiGarth

ShinobiGarth New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    (yes, its Lifetimed). thanks for the tips ill look into that if the problem doesnt fix itself.

what about getting one of those after market ethernet cards that can plug in and give the Tivo the ability to connect to Cable or DSL? based on what ive said do you think that would do anything to fix the problem?

6. May 6, 2011 #6 of 10
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Back last fall when almost everybody was having problems I had problems with my SVR2000 (external modem) and with my S1 Philips (turbonet card), but almost none with my internet connected S2s, so apparently it was more of a S1 problem than a telephone problem.

The turbonet card (or better yet the cache card, which is a turbonet with a DIMM socket to add memory as well) is nice to have, but I don't think it'll solve your problem, which I suspect is really TiVo's problem.

7. May 6, 2011 #7 of 10
    ShinobiGarth

ShinobiGarth New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    so i should probably look for an S2 then?

i dont suppose theres a way to transfer the lifetime from one box to another is there?

8. May 6, 2011 #8 of 10
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you paid Tivo full price for new Premiere and an additional fee they might let you transfer to that, otherwise, probably not, but as I said, the problem probably isn't on your end, but on TiVo's, so next month it could be happening to S2s or S3s. I said that last fall I had almost no problems with my S2s, but I didn't say I had *no* problems.

On some of the very earliest Philips S1s, they didn't have lifetime as carefully defined as they needed to in the fine print, so it was arguble that it was lifetime of the owner and not the unit, and on those I understand they offer a one-time transfer to a newer unit, but the cutoff on date of manufacture was before Sony began making S1s.

You might be able to get lifetime on a second Tivo for $200 since you already own the Sony and have lifetime on it, you'd need to check with Tivo.

If you go that route, and expect your cable company to continue to offer analog channels for a few more years, get at least the dual tuner S2.

It's (almost) like having 2 TiVos for the price of one, and since you already have the lifetimed Sony you should be able to get service for it at the Multi-Set Discount of $9.95 per month instead of $12.95

Watch out for the Premiere. Last November they started a promotion where you can buy one for $99, but it's a one year commitment at $19.95 per month for the service (even if you'd otherwise be qualified for a multi-set discount) and nobody yet knows if you can get a better deal after the year is up or not. You pretty much have to prove your unit was originally purchased before a certain date back then to avoid that monthly rate.

Sometime when you aren't going to need to record anything for several hours to a day, go into the setup menu and choose "Restart", and after hitting the thumbs down 3 times and pressing enter, unplug it before it can start up again. Leave it that way for a few hours, then plug it back in. Maybe that'll help it complete a call.

9. May 6, 2011 #9 of 10
    ShinobiGarth

ShinobiGarth New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    thankfully i just checked and it finally made a successful call yesterday afternoon. heres hoping it was just a temporary problem on their end and that it wont happen often. thanks for all the help.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It was more like a lot of verbiage than actual help--my advice, boiled down, amounted to "wait for Tivo to straighten things out"--but, you're welcome, and remember what I said about knots in the phone cord, surge suppressor, and an uninterruptable power supply.