Daily call every hour?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bcronin, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...

Advertisements

I have two series 1 DirecTv-with-TiVo receivers. One (the primary) is a Philips DSR6000R01. The mirrored-to receiver is a Hughes GXCEBOT.

Lately I have noticed that the DSR6000 is making frequent brief outgoing call attempts (there is an "extension in use" light on the phone connected to the line, so I can see when it is trying; it seems to be trying about once an hour). The most recent time it did this I quickly picked up the phone and was able to hear the touchtones it was sending. I am not that big a geek that I could tell what the numbers were that it was dialing, but it was an 11 digit number and the first 4 sounded a lot like 1-800.

This is very odd, since I have the receiver set to make its daily call using a 7 digit local number. I also checked the status of the last phonecall and there was no indication that it had failed. I also ran a test call to the 7 digit number and that worked fine.

So I am confused. What the heck is this 800 number that it is dialing, and why is it trying to do it so often?

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? :confused:

2. Apr 29, 2005 #2 of 135
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Sounds like it is trying to call DTV. The DTV call is a seperate call from the TiVo call.

IT will try several times fairly quickly each day until it is able to get connection with DTV.

3. Apr 29, 2005 #3 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    What is the purpose of the call to DTV versus the call to TiVo? Why might it be trying so many times? I have the receivers connected to a measured-service line and I get charged 9 cents a call, so I would like to minimize the number of calls.

4. Apr 29, 2005 #4 of 135
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    The purpose of the DTV call is to upload PPV info and other DTV subscription data. It seems that no call is truly needed as you can order PPV from the web or by ophone and the guide data comes from the sat.

If you have no phone line connected you will get nag screens after a while but nothing else bad seems to happen.

Since you have an interent connection you might want to try PPP over serial for the TiVo call.

PPP Info: You need a computer running XP or 2000 with an internet connection.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #5 of 135
    bbristow

bbristow Member Since 2003

Jan 14, 2003
    Central...

Advertisements

Seems like my daily calls were scheduled about 9 days apart on my old Hughes HDVR2 (running 3.1.1e) , but now they are every TWO DAYS on SD-DVR80 with same software! What is going on?

6. May 1, 2005 #6 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Well, this is getting silly. I have been watching the phone and the darned receiver is calling out every hour. It can't be failing to connect every time, why is it calling so often? I wonder, might there be some requirement that the receiver be calling in on the same number that the account was originally associated with? When I converted my main telephone line to Vonage, I reconnected the receivers to my remaining analog line. So, they would be calling in from a different number than DirecTv has on file for me. Possible?

7. May 5, 2005 #7 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Well I spent over an hour with DirecTv tech support on this issue yesterday. The bottom line is that it is the once-a-month call to DirecTv that is failing, not the regularly scheduled TiVo call. Those are working fine. The DirecTv call was supposed to have happened on April 28th for my account, according to the tech. Apparently it failed on that day, and it has been retrying it every hour since.

When it tries, I see two very short calls. Each lasts no more than 20 to 30 seconds. After the first one fails, it pauses about 10-15 seconds and then tries once more before giving up for another hour. I have two receivers in the house and both receivers are acting the very same way (which would tend to rule out a hardware issue with the receiver, since it is unlikely that both could have failed the same way at the same time). We tried changing various settings in the phone-setup (e.g. turning phone line detection on and off, adding various prefix strings to try to slow the modem down, etc.) all to no avail. Each time the tech triggered either receiver to phone-home, I'd see the two-short-call failures.

Several times I picked up the extension during the call just to see what was happening on the line. You could definitely hear the local and remote modems trying to handshake. So my best guess is that the root cause of the problem is that they are unable to complete the handshake for some reason. I'd suspect some issue with the phone-line or the local modem, but then the calls to TiVo work fine!

The tech told me that there are actually two modems in the receiver, one for TiVo calls and one for DirecTv calls, and that it is possible that the DirecTv modem failed in both receivers (but this seemed pretty unlikely to me). Both receivers are Series 1 DirecTv-with-TiVo boxes (one is a Philips DSR6000R01, the other a Hughes GXCEBOT). Both receivers have had their hard drive upgraded (one to 120GB, the other to 240GB), but the upgrades were done 2 years and 1 year ago respectively and unlikely to be related to these failures as things have been working fine until just recently.

I am at this point waiting a call back from a "supervisor" at DirecTv (supposedly to try to escalate the problem to the next level). It seems to me there ought to be a log file somewhere (either locally, or at the DirecTv end) that might have more information pertaining to the connection failures).

Is there any way I can get access to a local log file on the receivers that might reveal more information? Any other suggestions?

:confused:

8. May 5, 2005 #8 of 135
    UR14Me

UR14Me New Member

May 19, 2002
    Wake...
    Is it 1-866-709-2073?

My CallVantage log is full of outbound call attempts to this number, on the average of four per hour.

UR14Me

9. May 5, 2005 #9 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Now *thats* interesting. That could well be the number, hard to tell, but I wonder ... do you also have two receivers? If so, this looks to me like you could be experiencing the same issue as I am. Two calls every attempt, two receivers, two attempts per hour, 4 calls per hour ... This may well be a more pervasive problem that only I have noticed so far. The only reason I noticed is because there is a phone on the line that has a red light that comes on every time the line is picked up (and I sit here all day working with that phone right next to me and since it is the only phone on the line, when I see the light come on by itself, I know it is one of the receivers). Do your calls occur in groups of two, that is, two calls in rapid succession?

10. May 5, 2005 #10 of 135
    UR14Me

UR14Me New Member

May 19, 2002
    Wake...
    I indeed have two DTivo's, and looking at the call log, there are indeed two calls to the same number within a minute or two of each other.

UR14Me

11. May 5, 2005 #11 of 135
    Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    I have the same issue:

One of my tivo's, t60, or hd250, has been calling this number: 866 709 2073 hundreds of times a day. The reason I know this is I have ATT Calladvantage and I can check my call logs.

The strange thing is, neither tivo has that number set as a call in number. I have a local number set for both tivo's. Tonight I hope to narrow down which tivo is the offender. According to the logs, this has been going on for two weeks.

12. May 5, 2005 #12 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Do they occur every hour of the day, and for how many days has it been happening, can you tell? Do your logs go back that far?

13. May 5, 2005 #13 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Right, this number is not the TiVo number, this is the DirecTv number. It is for reporting PPV events and stuff like that. Can you too check your logs to see how long this has been going on? I bet it is both your receivers. Both of mine are doing it. One receiver makes its two calls at 35 minutes past the hour. The other at 10 minutes past.

Oh and my receivers are connected to a regular analog line, so I doubt it has anything to do with broadband phone service.

14. May 5, 2005 #14 of 135
    Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    I went back in the call logs and found out they started on 4/13/05 at 12:13 PM. It looks like my tivo actuallt tries calling around 32 times per day in 2 call increments.

15. May 5, 2005 #15 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Ok, so I bet the 13th is your day to call. Check back and see if there was a call on March 13th to that same number, if possible and then none until April 13, and then the zillions-per-day since then.

16. May 5, 2005 #16 of 135
    Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    There was a call to 800 713 9274. My guess is DTV changed the call in number on that date and it is screwed up going forward.

17. May 5, 2005 #17 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Interesting. So there was a call to that number on the 13th of March (that number definitely has a modem on the other end, I called it to be sure) and then nothing until the 13th of April, when it began trying to call the new number, and it has failed ever since. That about sum it up?

Sure seems like the same issue.

Feel like tring to call it in? I have a feeling that the more they hear about this the better the chances someone will realize it is a widespread issue (and not just confined to me).

You can reference my original incident number if you like ...

DVR calling DirecTv every hour [Incident: 050501-000798]

(although that was the incident number assigned to the email I sent originally, which was answered simply telling me to call tech support, I sort of doubt when I called tech support that the original incident number was preserved). I know I have an open ticket at DirecTv because they have been trying to reach me for a day or so. We keep playing phone tag (they call at the oddest times of the day).

For what its worth, the latest person at DTV to call and leave me a message was "Jamie" at 800-695-9251. He is supposedly a supervisor.

18. May 5, 2005 #18 of 135
    Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******

I'll call in later today, when I'm at home and can plug the phone line back into the tivo

19. May 5, 2005 #19 of 135
    scottt

scottt Macintosh Guru

Sep 6, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I have the same problem. Something (I have a T-60 and a HDVR2) is dialing 18667092073 many many times. I'm on the phone with DTV (using the 800 # above right now).

20. May 5, 2005 #20 of 135
    bcronin

bcronin Member

Dec 28, 2001
    The...
    Any progress?