D*Tivo Noob seeking wisdom

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by joshhuggins, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1 of 17
    joshhuggins

joshhuggins New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Margaritaville
    Hi all, first what a great site! I've been searching around and reading up as much as I can, but I am running out of time on making a decision for my new home on which way I should go as far as what box to get. My installer is getting ready to finish bringing out my A/V equip. I need to make a decision, but I'm afraid I can't narrow things down enough. Here's my list of things and info that are holding my decision up:

- Going to start a first time Direct TV Service (D* seems to be the lingo aroud here eh?)
    - I need a Tivo system that supports the Home Media Options. I'll be using J.Rivers Media center to pass on my Music & Pics to the Tivo display.
    - Want to use a internet connection instead of a phone line.
    - I don't mind having to hack a system to get things to work as long as the hack is clean and works good.
    - Idealy would like to be able to DVR off air HD signals, but not a must. Only five locals now anyway.
    - What will happens with the sats going to mpeg 4 if I use a current series 2 box? Are they going to make me switch to a new box no matter what and loose my Home media options? Does the R15 have any Home media tools?
    - Anything else you guys think I should know would be GREATLY appreciated. I hope to become involved in this forum and have been thinking up some sweet mods already! :D TIA

Josh Huggins

2. Jan 9, 2006 #2 of 17
    morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    D* goes back to E* (Echostar, ie., Dish). DTV is used too.

Series 2 with 6.2 (i.e., any of the newer DTivos other than the R10 which is not HD) can do what you are asking with "the Zipper" mod.

A (i.e., any) phone line is only needed for the first call. Search on VoIP or serial PPP for other avenues not to use phone line.

See above

The HD Dtivo does not currently have 6.2 so the above is directed to SD only. Personally, I'd wait on the NDS derived HD DVR sometime next year. The R15 is SD too and no HMO or hacks yet to do it. Also would not hold breath on hacking the NDS derived HD DVR.

Check up on the CES announcements as NDS (the non Tivo DVR that "should" not be discussed here) has lots of announcements, but nothing yet available other than the aforementioned R15.

3. Jan 9, 2006 #3 of 17
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Historical footnote: At one time, there were 4 DBS companies: Primestar, Echostar (aka Dish Network), Alphastar and DirecTV - note 3 of the 4 had 'star' in the end of the name. Over the years, in the newsgroups and online forums it just became a handy shortcut to use P*, E*, A* and D* to refer to each company. A* and P* are long gone now, but participants still use the D* and E* to represent DirecTV and Echostar (Dish Network). Some people may have even used V* in some of the DBS forums for 'Voom' (a now defunct DBS HD provider).

4. Jan 9, 2006 #4 of 17
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hacked DTivos!!

As mentioned, your Zippered non-R10 Series 2 DirecTivo will be your goal, running V6.2 software. Get two or more hacked DTivos running and then you can do MRV (multi-room viewing) - it's very, very nice. You can continue watching a show on a 2nd box that you paused while watching it on the 1st box. With V2.0 USB adapters (I suggest the Netgear FA120 for a hardwired network) you can xfr an hour-long program from one box to another in 10 minutes or so using the updated drivers that are installed during the Zipper hack.

You may want to also check out JavaHMO as you will go way beyond music and pix on your Tivo - you can check movie times, get weather info, streaming internet audio, web pages, web images, play MP3s organized by the tag info (artist, year, album, song) etc. - see screen shots here.

Note: JavaHMO is officially a dead project, replaced by Galleon, which is fine to run if you have a V7.x standalone Tivo, but the DTivos running V6.2 cannot take advanage of Galleon, so you run JavaHMO instead. If you find a JavaHMO module that doesn't work (e.g. the movie theater showtime module quit working around Nov. 30th, 2005) then look in the the support links for JavaHMO and you'll find that someone has posted updated modules (that support the changes made to the movie feed data format).

5. Jan 9, 2006 #5 of 17
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Even a non-hacked DTivo has little need for a phone line - after the Zippering, it will never attempt to phone home again. If you want PPVs, order them via the DirecTV website instead.

Zippering is the best bet - very, very successful method used by old hands and tyros alike. You'll need to temporarily connect your DTivo drive to a PC, boot via a disc that you will have previously created and after booting will use another disc that you will have made. The PC need not even have its operating system hard drive connected during a Zippering of a DTivo drive.

6. islander

islander New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Woodbridge, VA
    Ahh! I've always wondered how the abbreviation D* came about! Thanks morgantown and goony!

7. joshhuggins

joshhuggins New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Margaritaville
    Awsome guys, thanks so much for the info, now all I have to do is figure out which series 2 Tivo to get and how. Does anyone know if Direct TV offers non-r10 series 2 boxes anymore or am I off to ebay? Don't want to start a war, but any recommendations on which box? I'm off to do more searching. Thanks again so much! :D

8. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Weaknees (ad at top of page) has them, Value Electronics does too (former sponsor of site). DTV can not guarantee what they will send you, you only find out when the installer gets therr. Through DTV you're very likely to get the NDS R15 or a R10. Some big box stores still have some Series 2 DTiVos but that is sporadic at best.

All of the series 2 Dtiovs (less the R10) are for all intents and purposes identical. I would not personally take the Ebay route first as a matter of personal preference. Plus, if you buy a new unit, I do believe the $100 is alive and well from DTV.

9. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    And using it would be incorrect most of the time. Over in the HDTV forums (here and at AVS) it is commonly used for Digital Television. The correct usage is actually enforced by the AVS moderators.

-Robert

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    when did robert become 'former'? I hope this won't affect the service we've all come to know

11. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Several months ago (note the white space at the top of the page where his banner uesd to be with 9th tee & PTV Upgrade). I doubt his sponsorship and service are much related. Periodic complaints about service generally surrounded by many satisfied customers as I see it...

12. joshhuggins

joshhuggins New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Margaritaville
    Looks like I'm going for the Hughes 80 from Value Electronics. I'll be back and let ya know where things end up. Thanks a lot my new friends! :D

13. morgantown

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Cool beans (anyone still say that?!?)....and welcome to the forum. :)

14. joshhuggins

joshhuggins New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Margaritaville
    Well I've been waiting for my Comcast Broadband to be hooked up at our tract. I am very familiar with creating PC hard drive images using Drive Image & Ghost. Is there anything special to do to create a image of my non-hacked hard drive before I start working away, or will a standard image work? Going to be using the original drive, and just wanted a image for a backup. Going to download all the files today at work to take home tonight. I did get 2 of the Hughes DVR80s, doesn't look quite right on my HDTV, but rather have the HMO's. One is activated for Sat, and DVR service is on the account, but no phone line to activate. Do I need to activate the DVR section of my new box on someones phone line before I zipper it or will zipper take care of that too? I can't wait anymore. I have to play, Zipper here we come! TIA (again) :D

15. joshhuggins

joshhuggins New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Margaritaville
    Well I FINALLY have broadband, and everything on the zippered DVR80 seems to be working good for the HMO (sweet!), but I have a few problems I can't nail down or find an answer to via forum search.

1. I can't get it to dial out to activate the DVR service, or even dail a test call. I've tried the ,#401 prefix but no luck.

2. My FTP access to the unit is read-only.

3. The 51 killer script will run, but when I type yes and hit enter it says "Not changing anything" and returns to the prompt. Any ideas? TIA (again)

16. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    1) the zipper BLOCKS all calls tivo inc. Fakecall.tcl is all you need to run to get past the "activate dvr service" Just run it from the bash prompt.
    2) use the alias rw to change the tivo file system to read write and ro to change it back.
    3) are you seeing an error 51 message on your screen? if not, no need fo 51killer.tcl as for the not changing anything message, are you typing "yes" in lower case, or all caps? All Caps won't work.

17. rjay717

rjay717 Member

Nov 18, 2005
    melissa, tx
    Did you use the unset crlf command after telneting? I recieved the same message after forgetting to unset once.