D* requesting FCC to approve Sat. move

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by moonman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Jul 5, 2006 #1 of 34
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....

Advertisements

D* requests FCC OK for 7S sat. move

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D* is requesting the FCC for permission to move it's 7S satellite, a KU bird which
    carries H/D programming from it's location @ 119.2 to 119.05. The company say's
    the move is designed to improve signal reception to it's customers. The Sat.
    currently carries ESPN-2, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, and the N.Y. & L.A. feeds
    of NBC,ABC, and FOX. and YES Network as well as many S/D locals & others.
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa119.html

2. Jul 5, 2006 #2 of 34
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I'll ask the same question that I did over at dbstalk.com

Will this suttle change by .15 mean we need to tweek our dishes, or is the movement basically going to do the "tweaking" for us.

How much of a signal improvement are we talking here.

3. Jul 5, 2006 #3 of 34
    moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
    Earl...I think their is enough "play" in the angle to make the move OK without
    realignment..they can "bump" the position slightly to improve the angle, but
    they need permission from the FCC so they don't hit anything else in that spot
    (including debris...booster parts etc)

4. Jul 5, 2006 #4 of 34
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    DAhhh... just move it... they won't notice..

They are too busy with the Space Shuttle.. :)

5. Jul 5, 2006 #5 of 34
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...

Advertisements

What are they going to do if DirecTV moves it without permission? Shoot it down? :p

6. Jul 5, 2006 #6 of 34
    pintnight

pintnight BOO!

Oct 6, 2004
    West of...
    FCC might order DirecTV to turn off the sat and/or fine them a lot of money.

7. Jul 5, 2006 #7 of 34
    rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    You did notice the big old smiley face at the end of my post. It was a joke...

8. Jul 5, 2006 #8 of 34
    rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I certainly hope it doesn't require reaiming. But if it does, DTV better do it for free or they are going to have a large amount of very irate customers with no signal;)

shoot it down? lol. i can see some crazy missle launch to take it out hitting something important like the HBOHD ;)

9. Jul 5, 2006 #9 of 34
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    how do they (FCC) cotrol these things. What if N Korea wants to put a Satelite .... hell, wherever they please. Who controls space??

10. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I don't think its space thats important here. its the fact that this sat is beaming info to the USA and the FCC therefore is presiding over it.

But I dunno what would stop a foreign power from doing the same to send us propaganda. then again who says they arent and the govnt is jamming it.

11. unclejon

unclejon New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    But Fox News comes in quite well already... :eek:

12. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    :pPppPppP

i am due to do some work on my house and the dish has to be moved/reaimed so i hope htey do all this around then so im covered. sure aint going ot pay to have it reaimed;)

13. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    This will most certainly NOT require dishes to be reaimed. For example, the 101 LNB has to look at 2 birds at 100.8 and 1 at 101.2, so a change of .15 degrees at 119 ain't gonna make a difference to dish alignment.

14. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Sure its going to make a difference, do the math, figure a 20" dish, why a 0.15 degree difference will amount to almost 3 hundredths of an inch in difference at the rim. :D

15. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I still don't get why they have to ask to move it.

I thought they were constantly moving satellites to keep them in the proper slots, little adjusments here and there.

That's how we lost a couple Telstar's five years or so ago.
    They started the firing sequence to stabilize it in the slot, but couldn't stop it and it moved too far, or something like that.

.15 degrees here equates to how far up there?

phox

16. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    IIRC correctly they are about 23,000 mi high, if I did the math right .15 deg would be about 60 miles.

17. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The Dish Network "AMC 16 & EchoStar" is also in the 119 slot. What would happen if they both decided to move? Also the FFC has to keep track of possible interference with other communications.

18. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    As far as reaiming goes, first of all they are trying to improve reception, not degrade it. If they moved it far enough to need a realign, that would be monumentally stupid, because it would be effectively a degradation to the alignment for everyone at first, needing millions of service calls to fix. Unless......they have discovered after the fact that the multi sat dishes were actually designed for 119.05 originally, which means every install has been a compromise to get all 3 since day 1, and this may or may not fix it for an individual case.

The other thing is that the azimuth offset between the three LNBFs is fixed on the receive dish--pan one to the left or right, you pan them all. Declination can be adjusted to match the arc and therefore align that somewhat independantly, but not AZ/EL.

I am intrigued by what the strategy might be, tho.

19. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I have 0 on the 119 now. What's my reading going to improve to now? :)

20. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    The FCC's duty to make sure that all of the users of the USA's agreed on segment of space are happy or at the very least treated fairly.