D* OnDemand

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AVPhan, Aug 27, 2007.

1. AVPhan

AVPhan New Member

Oct 20, 2004
  2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Interesting.

3. joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Looks very interesting. From what I've read, Video on "Demand" might be stretching the truth a little bit as you still have to wait until you've downloaded enough of the video before you can start playing. Very similar to how MRV works with the Tivos, except now you're downloading video via the Internet and not just via the LAN at your house - much more traffic to contend with. Also, the HD content will be huge, although having them in MPEG-4 will certainly be a help.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Also full information on dbstalk.com in a bunch of forums.

The field tests have begun.

5. Bugkillah

Bugkillah New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Quote from engadget article comments:

"Jeff Rutherford @ Aug 27th 2007 12:19PM

Too bad it requires the crappy DirecTV DVR. I am going to hold-out for a new DirecTiVo. With all of the new HD channels coming online soon, who cares about this somewhat on demand service. I predict underwhelming demand for it."

New DirecTivo? Does Jeff know something we don't?

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not only does he know nothing, I am not sure how he is going to get all that new HD if he doesn't use the "crappy DirecTV DVR."

7. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Jeff Rutherford = Visionary?

8. joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Like everything else, it's success or failure will depend on the content that's available. I'd definitely use it if there was relevant content. We shall see!