D* New, Smaller HD Satellite Dish?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cosmo, Oct 1, 2006.

1. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Seattle,...

Advertisements

I have been a D* TiVo Series 1 user for over 5 years, and finally decided to take the plunge and get the new D* HD DVR. Service guy came out, and told me that the new dish could not get good line of site, and that even if it could, the new dish was so big that it would essentially be a "sail," and in a good wind, could damage my roof. He told me though that D* was coming out with a newer HD dish that is smaller and weighs less. He said it was due in February. Has anyone heard of this, and is it worth waiting for so I can stay with D*? Thanks

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The new "Slimline" 5-LNB dish should come out next year, but it's only slightly smaller and lighter than the current AT9 Ka/Ku dish. And if you don't have clear line-of-sight, a different dish won't solve that.

The next couple of weeks provide a good opportunity to perform your own site survey using the sun and shadows. Read more here ....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=314458

3. andbye

andbye New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Sacramento
    \

Local Ironwood Installers here in the Sacramento area have an under-eave mount,(which I have) for the new larger dish that appears to be fairly stable; at any rate it probably wouldn't damage your roof. They charge about $60 for it but you might get that reimbursed by D* retention dept (800-824-9081) especially since you are a long time subscriber. Supplier is American Sattelite Accessories. Another alternative could be to get an HR10-250 HD Tivo DVR (uses the older smaller 3lnb dish) from a retail store with reimbusement by D* or get one directly from D* It is not hard to get a freebie HD DVR from D* or a good deal like $49 or $99 if you are a long time sub; especially if you have the NFL Sunday ticket. Later you coould upgrade to the new HR20-700 HD DVR which might have the bugs fixed by the time the new slimline Dish comes out If you don't have a line of sight problem now it is possible you won't have one with the new dish

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    smarthome.com also sells the under-eave mount - for less, I think. I've had one for a few years and it's great.

5. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Seattle,...

Advertisements

Thanks all for the suggestions. My problem is that to get the proper line of site, I must mount the dish almost at the roof peak, where my current one is now. Any lower on my roof, and it won't get the satellites, I am told. If the new dish is smaller and "squatter," then it could work on my roof. The big question now is do I wait, or move to Comcast? Anu other thoughts on any of these concerns?

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    See the link in my previous post. Next week in Seattle you can perform your own site survey using the Sun. Actually any days starting now will be pretty close to the "ideal" days next week. Perhaps you can find a better location than the peak of your roof.

7. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Thanks Litzdog, I will give it a try, although the installer had a device that looked pretty accurate.