CW premiered foreign shows on Sunday

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Aug 3, 2020 #1 of 26
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

So I guess at least CW is doing what I've thought networks should do for a long time (e.g. during the summer), air foreign shows. Obviously they're doing it because they've run out of shows due to COVID-19.

Fridge Wars - a Canadian chef battling show where they use (duplicates of) stuff they find in people's fridges to make meals to battle against each other. The family whose fridge contents is used judges the results. Pretty amusing.. They did TWO families in one hour long episode.. The second family had a bunch of kids (and/or relatives), and one kid said something like "can I spit this out?", and they did show the bit later, but they didn't actually explain what part they were spitting out, because it didn't actually match with the results.

Taskmaster - a British comedy/game competition show with (seemingly) a bunch of D list celebs as the people doing the games competing with each other. While a few of the games were quantitative and judged that way, others were sort of "the points are made up and the points don't matter" (like Whose Line is it Anyway), judged however the host wanted to.

(I think I actually saw these in an ad a few weeks ago, and I skip through as many ads as I can..)

2. Aug 3, 2020 #2 of 26
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I recorded both of these, but haven't watched yet. I figure anything new is worth giving a shot. I watch pretty much every cooking competition show on TV, so Fridge Wars was a natural pick. Taskmaster... well, it's on right after it, so...

mattack likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2020 #3 of 26
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I couldn't get through the first five minutes of Fridge Wars. The host and the format just annoyed me.

4. Aug 4, 2020 #4 of 26
    JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Thx for this thread, I'd never looked at CW before. The show Coroner is pretty good, I watched a couple early episodes on the CBC (on Comcast in the Seattle area).

mattack likes this.
  5. Aug 4, 2020 #5 of 26
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

I set up a 1P for Coroner, but I had to set it to "New & reruns". "New only" doesn't pick it up, as the OAD is from last year. I assume the original Canadian air date. This isn't required for Fridge Wars and Taskmaster. "New only" works for those two.

JandS likes this.
  6. Aug 4, 2020 #6 of 26
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    CW has also been airing Bulletproof which is a UK cop show and Burden of Truth which is a Canadian show.

I've already watched both seasons of Coroner and it's pretty good.

mattack likes this.
  7. Aug 4, 2020 #7 of 26
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I discovered Taskmaster at the start of the lockdown because they started posting "at home" tasks on their YouTube channel.

The season that the CW started airing this week is actually the 8th season (or series as they call them in England). Sometime late last year, they started uploading all their old episodes onto their YouTube channel. They post one episode a week, usually on Thursday. Last week's upload was the first episode of season 7. The newer seasons have 10 episodes each. The earlier ones were as few as 6.

It's a pretty funny show. If you watch on YouTube, there's a lot of episodes to catch up on. Here's the first episode (and a playlist for the first 6 episode season):

The first episode does a better job of explaining everything than the one that aired on The CW did because it was already 8 seasons in.

The premise is pretty easy to understand. Each season, there are a different set of five actors/comedians competing in a series of ridiculous tasks. Each episode starts with the prize task, where they're asked to bring in an item (usually a personal possession) that fits a certain theme. They're graded and awarded between 1 and 5 points. The overall winner of the episode will "win" the five prizes. Each episode ends with a live task, where the five of them go onto the stage and have to perform some stupid task within a set time limit of about 1-2 minutes (often 100 seconds). In between the first and final tasks of the episode, there are 3 pre-recorded tasks that were shot on location somewhere around London, but usually at the Taskmaster House. Often, these tasks are graded based on a measured result, such as the fastest to complete or the greatest distance travelled in a set time. Other times, the tasks are graded subjectively based on the whims of the Taskmaster.

The same 5 competitors appear for a full season, with the scores being cumulative to determine the overall winner. They produced a US version of the show a couple of years ago, with Reggie Watts as the Taskmaster, but it didn't do well and it didn't get a second season.

mattack likes this.
  8. Aug 4, 2020 #8 of 26
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I wish they'd start airing some Japanese game shows. They probably make the contestants sign a medical waiver before they can go on. They can be pretty brutal from what I've seem.

cwerdna likes this.
  9. Aug 4, 2020 #9 of 26
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    The CW seems to be likely FREE on most streaming devices? Streams maybe 'next day' after showing? Don't know but I'll likely find out this week.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Networks HAVE been doing this for years during the summer. Going back to The Prisoner on CBS in 1968. More recently a Canadian show, Rookie Blue has aired on ABC. There probably have been dozens of others, but those are two that come to mind.

11. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    My best of all times CBC TV series is Da Vinci's Inquest, 7 seasons, if you ever get a chance to see it, grab it. Covered lots of very topical issues and many are still, unfortunately, relevant today.

There was a spinoff too, Da Vinci's City Hall, I didn't get to see those.

12. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Another UK import that the CW started airing recently is Killer Camp.

It's awful.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think one of my Tivos still has a bunch of the original show American Ninja Warrior was based on.. (but they're heavily edited and have stupid american voiceovers). one of the cable channels reran a bazillion a few years ago. Maybe back when Spike was still on?

14. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yes I know, I have used the Prisoner example many times.. (Though recently I heard other stories --- I thought CBS just aired what already came from Britain, but something, maybe a game show, had a clue saying CBS wanted to make way more eps and McGoohan insisted on 17?)

But it's still _very rare_. though I admit I forgot about some of these other examples people have been bringing up. I even liked that one "international cop show" that I know I said in a thread here had "a bunch of nobodies", because it had only one person I knew... (IIRC, one season was on one of the networks.. and Netflix has 2 more seasons??)

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah I forgot about Burden of Truth, since I had watched the first season, then when the 2nd one was on, I was watching as many shows as I could on Hulu.. and it wasn't showing up the day after on Hulu.. (sometime later, the 2nd season did show up) so I think I've only seen the first season all the way through. It's probably my American bias, but a lot of these Canadian shows _seem_ like they try to hide their Canadian-ness. I can't think of a great example, but more than once it seems like they're trying to act like they could be anytown USA.. like maybe making vague legal references rather than specific laws that would be vastly different in Canada.

16. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    As for CW in general, obviously they're largely the teen/20something channel. I did watch Arrow for quite a while. They cancelled their remake of the 70s sci fi show after only one season, I think that could have lasted a long time.

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I definitely didn't realize this part. I had expected it to be "celebs of the week".

18. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The Brits did a remake of The Prisoner in 2009 with Jim Caviezel and Lennie James and it was terrible. Nothing at all like the original. The Village was set in what appeared to be a desert, IIRC, and not the posh surroundings of the original series. The only saving grace was that it only lasted six episodes, all using titles from the original series' episodes.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. JandS

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    For anybody liking foreign TV series MHZ is a treasure-trove. If you sign up for their e-mail they regularly send out offers like 50% off for 3 months. Their closed caption quality is excellent. I don't know if they have any dubbed but if they do I'll bet they are similarly good quality.

MHz Choice Offer: Free Trial + 50% Off First Month!

20. lambertman

lambertman I am not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    “Taskmaster” has been pulled. Only 212,000 viewers were registered by Nielsen.

“Fridge Wars” survives with 398,000.