CW network to replace WB, UPN

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

Odd news:

Sounds like you'll have former UPN shows battling it out with WB shows for time slots, come this fall.

Update: Full press release.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Did somebody bother to consult Paramount about this? :D

Seriously, though, any network with both Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars on it -- and Smallville and Supernatural don't hurt, either -- gets my stamp of approval.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "urban" sitcoms (other than Everyone Hates Chris) may be the ones getting squeezed out here. Only Girlfriends is mentioned in the press release.

Apparently, it's still only 13 hours of prime-time programming a week.

3. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Why consult Paramount when they are a Viacom property? ;)

4. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    That is weird

5. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

This just makes it harder for a new Star Trek series to find a home and time slot.

6. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Why bother? The B&B boobheads ran the franchise into the ground.

7. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    They can still go the TNG/DS9 Roddenberry route.

8. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    At first glance I thought "Country & Western!"

9. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    OK, it says that the D.C. affiliate will be the Tribune station - anyone know if that's the WB channel or the UPN channel?

10. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Found the answer in another link on that page:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060124/cgtu033.html?.v=44

Which I'm happy about because our UPN affiliate's HD signal is extremely weak.

11. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182631,00.html

quotes

"Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS Corp., said the new network will air 30 hours of programming seven days a week aimed in part at young audiences."

Perhaps they'll use Saturday's as a dumping ground too.

12. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I hope all of those programs are kept on this new network, plus Everwood.

Smallville and Supernatural are a good pairing, and Gilmore Girls would work well paired with Everwood, but I don't know what they are going to do with Veronica Mars. VM is darker and more cynical than anything on the WB. I hope it survives at least one more season, and the press release is correct that VM is viewed as a "programming asset."

I'd love to see GG as a lead-in for VM, because they probably have the most overlap in fans, but somehow I don't see it happening.

13. FourFourSeven

FourFourSeven New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Not bad news. The combined offerings of the two networks is a pretty good slate of shows.

Hopefully they'll be able to broadcast on the more powerful station in each market where both exists...

14. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    This sounds like a reasonably good deal and the combined network should be able to fill all the primetime slots, which neither netlet is doing now. However, I am baffled that Time-Warner is cooperating with Viacom like this.

15. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is bizarre. It's also going to make quite a lot of jobs reduntant. For someone like me who is already having trouble finding a job in television, this is very bad news.

16. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    What will they do with the local affiliates? Granted I don't watch anything on UPN.

17. mitchrc

mitchrc New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Los Angeles

Viacom has nothing to do with this. This is CBS, Time Warner and a lucrative 10 year year affiliation agreement with Tribune. It all makes perfect sense when you consider it finally allows UPN to get off the Fox owned UPN affiliates in Los Angeles and New York. KTLA and WPIX are far stronger stations. The next question is how Fox responds to this since they will have two stations in the #1 and #2 markets and a large body of affiliates which are going to be left out in the cold.

18. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Well the stations they're on now for the most part were around before they became WB or UPN networks. I guess they'll go back to being independent stations. UPN 20 in D.C. still does games for certain sports - the Orioles and Nationals, IIRC.

As far as why they're doing this, it sounds like the main mutual benefit is the expanded coverage for both networks. Maybe they realized there just aren't enough people watching all the shows on these channels to justify the existence of both of these networks. Then again, maybe they're cheap enough to produce that the profit margin is still good.

19. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a copy of the letter to CBS/UPN employees. I have a friend who works for UPN. Hopefully this won't leave him unemployed.

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Indeed, this saves me a trip to the roof this weekend to give UPN20 a shot at getting pulled in. I know it was bound to fail, but it was on the To Do List. WB50 comes in fine even 50 miles away, so this is good news to me.