1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting the cord with Premiere XL4 and Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sslandy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. sslandy

sslandy New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Hi,
    I know the Premiere XL4 and Roamio Pro will not work OTA. However, would I still be able to use the TiVo Minis to access content on the TiVo boxes? I have another older TiVo Series 3 which does OTA. If I were to record network Television on the Series3, could I transfer it to either of the other two Tivos (with no cable cards) and then access it through the Minis? How about NetFlix and Amazon?

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should be able to transfer the shows from the S3 and stream it to the Mini.
    Mini should have their own apps for NF and AM and not impact the other boxes.

(Congratulations, you are the receiver of my 7000th post, so you win a Smiley ;))

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, you should be able to do that, assuming the DVRs remain active on your TiVo account. The downside is that the transfer has to be initiated from the receiving DVR, rather than from the Mini's UI. Streaming apps on the Mini will continue to work, so long as you have a compatible host DVR on the account/network.

If you think you're cutting the cord permanently, one of those units, assuming All-In, would more than cover the cost of a Roamio OTA w/ All-In, and the other most of the cost. Just a thought.

4. sslandy

sslandy New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    All the TiVos have lifetime subscriptions. All three have hardwired ethernet. The Minis can see the Series 3 but the there is a next to it. If I select it, it will show me the recorded shows but they have a red X next to them. I haven't cut the cord yet. Just trying to figure out how long the TiVos are worth keeping around. We have two Roku2's, one Amazon Fire TV, two SmartTVs, a home theater projector and 2 other TVs. A bit much but it is what it is with 4 kids (with the their own iPads, etc.).

5. sslandy

sslandy New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Honored!

6. LakeGirl

LakeGirl New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    So I will need a lifetime subscription? How much do those generally cost? And would I need a Mini and something else (besides the subscription?) I am expecting to cut the cord permanently.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You do not need a Mini unless its for another TV without a Tivo.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: Mini... It depends on whether you're looking to provide content to more than 1 TV.

Re: Subscription... answered in your previous thread, here; at least for the Roamio OTA. If one had to buy the All-In plan, the retail cost is $550.