TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Cutting the cord and need some advice...

16K views 144 replies 34 participants last post by  Karyn 
#1 ·
So, I've finally reached the point where the cost of my cable subscription has become overshadowed by the ridiculous charges, confusing packages, and general craptastic-ness of all things cable. I've been doing some research and I think I've finally figured out what I want to do and what equipment I want to do it with, but I'm having trouble getting the last few little ducks to line up. I've been doing some searching on the forums here, as well as many, many other places, and was able to get most of my questions answered, but I'd like to be 100% sure I have the info I need before I pull the trigger.

So...here's the sitch: I currently have an Amazon Prime subscription, as well as Netflix. To get most of the other stations I regularly watch (and cant get with an HD antenna), I'm also considering a Hulu Live subscription (mainly for Disney and various sports channels), as well as HBO Now (got to get my GoT fix). Hardware wise, I'm getting an HD antenna so I can get my local stations (the Big Four and PBS are most important to me, and all are available with a decent antenna).

I've been looking at an Amazon FireTV box. It's price point is lovely, and it would allow me to stream all of the services mentioned above. I can plug the antenna directly into my TV, and while it would be annoying to have to switch back and forth, I'm willing to put up with that if I have to. The main problem with this is, of course, no DVR. I'd like to be able to DVR football games as well as some weekly shows, and the Stick wont do that (not without a lot of shenanigans, and while I'm more than technically competent to put the hardware together - I work in IT and I've been building PC's since I was a teen - again, it's far more trouble than it's worth, especially since the rest of my family isn't as technically competent). I've looked into the Channel Master and the Tablo, but neither impressed me as much as the Roamio OTA. Again, after quite a bit of research, I've tentatively decided that this is what I'd like to go with.

BUT...If I'm understand the threads I'm finding right, TiVO only natively supports HBO Go. Considering I'm telling Spectrum to go pound sand, HBO Go is kinda useless for me. I need HBO Now. My question, therefore, is: Assuming I have a compatible streaming service (Amazon Video or Hulu), and an HBO Now subscription, is there a way to get it to play on the Roamio OTA, or am I going to have to get a FireTV stick/box and use that for my HBO viewing while watching everything else on my Roamio?

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: This is my first post on the community, so if this is in the wrong place, I apologize, and ask that the resident mods please put it in the proper forum. :)

See less See more
#94 ·
I know everyone has different needs and preferences, but if you find the right streaming services for the channels you want, you may find that you don't need a DVR as much as you think. When we decided to cut the cord I was adamant about finding a cloud DVR that I liked, and I tried all the free trials to compare and contrast. But I found that because we are, in fact, streaming everything now, I don't need to record anything. It's all just sitting there on the various services' servers, waiting for me to watch. We have no live TV and no DVR, and have not missed a beat (other than NHL hockey, as discussed in previous posts).

#3 ·
Here are several bits of info as well as questions to consider:

1. TiVo only has the HBO Go app. It does not have the HBO Now app and we don't know if it ever will. That said, you can add an HBO subscription to Amazon Prime via their "Amazon Channels" feature and then watch all HBO programming in the Amazon Video app on your TiVo.

2. The new Hulu with Live TV service ($40/mo) requires the new redesigned Hulu app, which is not available for TiVo. Hulu has given no indication that the updated app will ever come to TiVo. So if you want to subscribe to Hulu with Live TV, you'll need to use a different device. (The platforms that currently have or soon will have the new Hulu app are Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, Samsung smart TV, and Xbox.)

3. Depending on where you live, Hulu with Live TV may include all of your local HD channels, in which case you wouldn't really need an OTA DVR anyway. They're regularly adding additional locals across the country.

#4 ·
If you really need OTA DVR that's integrated into the same box you use for all your streaming apps, an option you may wish to consider is Plex. If you have a premium Plex Pass, you can use your Plex Media Server (a PC, Mac or NAS) to record OTA TV from a compatible tuner and then watch those recordings in the Plex app for various devices (Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Android TV, smart TVs, etc.). You can also use that same Plex app to watch live TV on Apple TV and Android TV devices now, with support for Fire TV and Roku coming soon.

Aside from Plex, there are other OTA DVR options available for Android TV devices (the most popular such device being the Nvidia Shield TV). But keep in mind that Android TV doesn't have the new Hulu app that supports Hulu with Live TV and no announcement has been made by Hulu that it will ever get it (although it probably will, eventually).

#5 ·
@Scandia: According to Amazon, the FireTV box works with HBO Now. That's what it says in the product description, anyway. I've looked into Roku, and it's pretty sweet, but FireTV works just as well, and I can get the Amazon equipment for much less.

@NashGuy: 1) Sweet! That's exactly the info I was looking for. :D Thank you!

2) Well, damn...that does put a crimp in things. Hulu Live TV has several channels that are the core ones I watch. That could be a deal breaker. Must ponder...

3) Yeah, with an OTA antenna I can watch my local stations with or without the TiVo, but it's the DVR part of that equation that's critical to this whole deal. I dont watch a ton of TV, but the few things I do watch are important to me. I cant always be around when they're on live, so the DVR part of that equation is pretty critical. Again, must ponder...

RE: PLEX: Thanks. That's good info as well. Who knew cord cutting would be so blasted complicated? I just want to watch the things I watch, and not pay through the nose for it. We shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops just to watch a little tv! :p

#7 ·
Yeah, with an OTA antenna I can watch my local stations with or without the TiVo, but it's the DVR part of that equation that's critical to this whole deal. I dont watch a ton of TV, but the few things I do watch are important to me. I cant always be around when they're on live, so the DVR part of that equation is pretty critical. Again, must ponder...
You may already know this but, in case you don't, Hulu with Live TV has a cloud DVR feature that allows you to record shows off of both cable and local channels. (Unfortunately, you can't FF through ads in recordings unless you upgrade to their "premium DVR" for an extra $15/mo.) Click on their "View all channels in your area" link to see which locals are available in your zip code. If a local is available through Hulu with Live TV, you wouldn't need an OTA antenna or DVR for it.

And, at the risk of further complicating your decision, keep in mind that there are other live cable TV streaming services besides Hulu with Live TV. You can read about them at CNet and click here for their master spreadsheet of which services carry which local channels in every US market.

#6 ·
$29 Roku Express is cheaper than $39 Fire stick. I got a couple of sticks for $20 a few years ago, but haven't seen any deals like that lately. Roku seems to have a lot more apps and is much easier to navigate, IMO.

If you have a universal remote, then Roku has another benefit - one button access to many of the streaming apps, including HBO NOW. That makes for really fast, simple macros when switching to/from watching Tivo. It's actually faster and easier for me to switch to HBO on my Roku than launch it from Tivo. Here are all the Roku discrete app commands available at the moment:
Amazon
Crackle
FandangoNow
Netflix
Pandora
Vudu
SlingTV
YouTube
Cinema Now
Google play
Hulu
HBO Now
Showtime
Red Bull TV
Spotify
TED
PS Vue
Starz
DirecTV NOW

#122 ·
Fair enough. I don't use any of those streaming cable services either.

If I were suggesting to someone the cheapest way to get by, I'd say just watch local OTA TV live with an antenna (and no DVR), and then supplement that with one or two streaming on-demand services like Hulu, Netflix, and/or Amazon Prime, using an inexpensive Roku.

For a lot of folks, Hulu ($8/mo with ads or $12/mo without ads) sort of takes the place of an OTA DVR, since it lets you watch at least the last five episodes of every current series from ABC, Fox and NBC. Episodes are available the next-day after they air on live TV. And some series have all episodes back to the first season available. (Hulu also offers lots of other stuff too, like their own original series, uncut Hollywood movies, past seasons of cable series, etc.) However, Hulu doesn't offer current episodes of shows from CBS, The CW or PBS. But you can watch current stuff from The CW and PBS on their own apps for free. If you need access to CBS shows on-demand, you could subscribe to CBS All Access ($6/mo with ads).

It's not the same thing as having a TiVo Roamio OTA, but then it also doesn't require as much of an upfront expense as buying a TiVo.

#8 ·
@mdavej: So, Sling works with the Roamio? If that's the case, you may have just solved my issue. I looked at the Sling site and I can get all the channels I want with their Blue package and a couple add ons (which ends up being less than Hulu Live), I can still use my antenna for the local stuff, and according to NashGuy I can add HBO to my Amazon channels and watch that through the Roamio.

@NashGuy: LOL...It's already complicated, so no worries. Fortunately I'm the geeky type of guy who doesn't mind creating my own spreadsheets for all this. :) So reading the one on CNet is no issue, and I really appreciate all the info. I like to have the maximum info possible, then winnow down to exactly what I need. :)

So, to summarize the (new, revised) situation: If I get a Roamio OTA, I use the HD antenna for local stuff (I checked and I can get nearly 30 channels in my zip code, free OTA, so that's pretty sweet), then I use the Roamio for Netflix, Amazon (and I load HBO into my Amazon Channels, so I can use HBO Now to watch GoT). Then I get Sling Blue and a couple add ons, so we can have Disney, ESPN, and the others we want (which I can watch live or DVR with the Roamio).

Does all that look correct? If it is, I'm golden.

And again, thanks for all the advice. :)

EDIT: Hmmm...upon re-reading this, it looks like @mdavej meant that Sling works with Roku, not Roamio. It that's the case, I'm still not quite there. But I am closer. :)

#20 ·
Have you thought about how much all these extras are gonna cost you?? First the TiVo ota box, then hbo, then Netflix, then sling, then Amazon prime, then Hulu!!!! Sounds like you should have just kept a slimmer cable package. The whole point of going ota is just that. By a fast estimate you will be paying like $75 a month for the next 3 years figuring in the cost of the tivo box. Add in a Roku or Apple TV ups it again. You can get many shows via computer with an HDMI connection, then pick one or two sub providers to keep you monthly tv bill below $50. Just my thoughts...

#36 ·
Have said that many times - I pay $124/mo. total for Comcast HSI (75mb) and all digital channels + free HBO and Starz. I think that's a pretty fair deal given that HSI alone costs something like $75 (which is ridiculous in and of itself, but they've got everyone by the balls for HSI here). Depending on what you want, a cord-cutter setup can cost as much as a double play deal from your cable provider.

But I have to admit I'm a big sports fan so streaming is really a non-starter for me.

#22 ·
If you haven't chosen yet, here is a good article that lists pros and cons for each box discussedThe best media streaming devices I found it very interesting ......
That looks like a very good article, which gives top recommendation to Roku. But don't put your faith in just one such review. Note the statement just below the byline:
This post was done in partnership with The Wirecutter, a buyer's guide to the best technology. When readers choose to buy The Wirecutter's independently chosen editorial picks, it may earn affiliate commissions that support its work. Read the full article here.
I have a gen 1 Fire TV (box) and am very happy with it. I've never used a Roku so will not presume to make comparisons. However here are some comments that may be relevant:

1. The bible that is must reading about Fire TV/Stick is: AFTVnews.
Amazon is rapidly adding/improving apps and upgrading software and this site is the best way to track this. The linked review is two months old, so check the AFTVnews stories for the last two months to see Fire TV improvements since then.

2. Gen 2 is the current Fire TV box version but there are indications it is being discontinued, presumably due to a gen 3 model coming:
Amazon removes the Fire TV box from the "Fire TV Family"

3. I am biased toward hardwired network connections vs. wifi. I believe a good wifi connection will rival hardwired but I'm convinced that many folks' wifi systems are not that good. This means I would not recommend a "stick" (Roku or Fire TV) unless a hardwired network connection is just not possible.

#29 ·
While all the 4k stuff is great, I'm stuck with 2 very fine 1080P Plasmas, but not really stuck cause at my declining years 1080P looks fantastic to me.
Sometimes, enough is enough. ;-)
LOL! :D

I'm satisfied with an "Entry Level" Panasonic 32" 720 LCD that I watch from ~12' away, reclining on my old couch. It replaced a Panasonic 27" CRT which, along with all of my a/v gear, resides in a ~15 yo ~$700 oak veneer entertainment center that I talked the dear wife into (i.e. it's here to stay). I have a Panasonic 37" 1080 LCD "New-in-box" (largest HDTV that would fit the opening in the entertainment center) still waiting, along with a Panasonic 42" 720 Plasma in storage from my late Dad. I bought a wall mount for the plasma, but it's going to be a hard sell having a 42" plasma ABOVE the 37" LCD in entertainment center. o_O Plasmas DO suck the electricity though...

#31 ·
Flash! AFTVnews has just described two new soon-to-be-released Fire TV/stick models:
Exclusive: These are the two new Amazon Fire TV models being released in 2017
The new box, actually a set-top cube, looks amazing -- a combination of an Echo and a Fire TV, with the capability of controlling your TV either via CEC or a built-in IR blaster in response to voice commands -- no separate Echo or Dot required.

Looks to me like competitors such as Roku are going to have a hard time matching the development pace of big-pockets Amazon.

#32 ·
From the "happy wife, happy life" pool.... Since my TiVo died from lighting strike I have been using YouTube TV and just last night we found that the Miss America Pageant was not available on ABC via YouTube TV due to licensing streaming restrictions. She was NOT happy when she went to her phone to cast the Pageant to the TV and found the big "X" overlaid on the listing.

Due costs of a la cart components and ease of use, I'm just going back to TiVo. I tried alternatives and have come back home.

#46 ·
Here's the deal with ads on Hulu with Live TV:
  • Live channels have ads in them (of course), just like they would with any other source.
  • Hulu's basic/original on-demand library of shows contain limited ads (about half the amount of time as on typical broadcast TV). They can be removed by paying an extra $4/mo.
  • The Live TV option automatically comes with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage. Unfortunately, you CANNOT fast forward through the ads in your recordings unless you purchase...
  • The Premium Cloud DVR option costs an extra $15/mo and comes with 200 hours of storage plus the ability to FF through ads.
  • I *think* that Hulu will replace a recorded version of a show with their on-demand library version if it's available there, e.g. for a show that aired last night on NBC, ABC or Fox. That could be a good or bad thing depending on whether you paid the $4 no-ad fee or the $15 Premium DVR fee.

#48 ·
Here's the deal with ads on Hulu with Live TV:
  • Live channels have ads in them (of course), just like they would with any other source.
  • Hulu's basic/original on-demand library of shows contain limited ads (about half the amount of time as on typical broadcast TV). They can be removed by paying an extra $4/mo.
  • The Live TV option automatically comes with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage. Unfortunately, you CANNOT fast forward through the ads in your recordings unless you purchase...
  • The Premium Cloud DVR option costs an extra $15/mo and comes with 200 hours of storage plus the ability to FF through ads.
  • I *think* that Hulu will replace a recorded version of a show with their on-demand library version if it's available there, e.g. for a show that aired last night on NBC, ABC or Fox. That could be a good or bad thing depending on whether you paid the $4 no-ad fee or the $15 Premium DVR fee.
That's ALL correct! My issue was with the Roku version...Hulu Live Beta doesn't work correctly. It's that simple.

It works on Fire but not on Roku. It's still beta and buggy as heck.

Everything you said is true but it's not worth $44 per month for Roku users at this time. Fire users, maybe.

This post has been deleted
#52 · (Edited)
Hey Artie!

My response are under each point in bold so I could address each issue. :). Click them to open.

Yes...I agree...now that TiVo updated the Roamio OTA software best out there. Wish they could allow the add on apps (as say, Roku allows) though but that would be very costly to write the software for. There ARE boxes out there that one can fully customize but that's a whole different game. One I'm thinking of isn't even widely available,

#53 ·
Best bet is to just cut the live TV streaming, unless you really need live sports. Most of what I watch is off the antenna. I have Netflix to supplement this. I justify my Amazon subscription, since I shop there a lot. I use bing points to purchase HULU basic, otherwise, I don't have much use for HULU. Since I do have Amazon, then I'll subscribe to Showtime thru Amazon for one or two months a year, just to watch Ray Donovan. Few shows like Walking Dead, Last Ship, Better Call Saul, etc., I'll just buy the season in SD on Vudu. This is great, since I can then watch those commercial free. I keep an eye on UVgrab.com, and a few other sites, to buy ultraviolet movie codes for $5 on average, then watch those through Vudu also.

If you need some news, you can setup plex to play foxnews clips nonstop. It's not "live", but it will catch you up on the news of the day. There is also plenty of content on youtube. I'm watching a VH1 GNR documentary right now off youtube.

I do understand the desire to have live TV, and just turn a station on. I'm in a good market for this, though. I have a great rooftop antenna, that pulls in about 50 stations from 2 different markets. So I literally get 2 broadcasts of every major and minor OTA network. If I didn't get so many stations, I might be more inclined to subscribe to sling or such. Perhaps check dtv.gov, and see how many stations you can receive, or if you can pull in multiple markets.

#54 ·
Best bet is to just cut the live TV streaming, unless you really need live sports. Most of what I watch is off the antenna. I have Netflix to supplement this. I justify my Amazon subscription, since I shop there a lot. I use bing points to purchase HULU basic, otherwise, I don't have much use for HULU. Since I do have Amazon, then I'll subscribe to Showtime thru Amazon for one or two months a year, just to watch Ray Donovan. Few shows like Walking Dead, Last Ship, Better Call Saul, etc., I'll just buy the season in SD on Vudu. This is great, since I can then watch those commercial free. I keep an eye on UVgrab.com, and a few other sites, to buy ultraviolet movie codes for $5 on average, then watch those through Vudu also.

If you need some news, you can setup plex to play foxnews clips nonstop. It's not "live", but it will catch you up on the news of the day. There is also plenty of content on youtube. I'm watching a VH1 GNR documentary right now off youtube.

I do understand the desire to have live TV, and just turn a station on. I'm in a good market for this, though. I have a great rooftop antenna, that pulls in about 50 stations from 2 different markets. So I literally get 2 broadcasts of every major and minor OTA network. If I didn't get so many stations, I might be more inclined to subscribe to sling or such. Perhaps check dtv.gov, and see how many stations you can receive, or if you can pull in multiple markets.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:EXCELLENT post, Al! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! And, to expound, if one checks their smart TVs they will find that MLB, NFL, and NBA are BUILT right in! They are live so all one needs to do is dig out the old VCR or whatever to record them.

After months of tedious review of all these streaming services, most of which I cancelled trials SAME DAY, I've determined they are, for many person's needs, utter nonsense and will rarely be utilized.

I might keep basic Hulu no commercials for $11.99 a month but these other services are, IMO, again after much hands on review, nonsense. I like to occasionally watch an old long running program that one can only get from Hulu or Vudu in binge portions but $20, $30, $40, and one has the gonads to be priced at $74.99 per month...H*LL NO!

My TiVo Roamio OTA rocks! It and my Obihau box and Google Voice were the BEST "financial planning" decisions I've made in a LONG time!

:up:

#59 ·
We just cut the cord this summer. When I first started thinking seriously about it I was convinced we needed live TV and some kind of DVR. I tested all the major services, but in the process I realized we virtually never watch anything live. I decided to try streaming only, figuring that if we missed live TV we could always add it later. No need.

We went with an Apple TV, Hulu (streaming only, no commercials), Showtime and HBO. We also already had/have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so those are not added expenses. We kept FiOS and our two TiVos for a couple months just in case we decided we weren't happy with the new setup, but we never went back to them. Everything we watch was available via one of the streaming services, so we didn't even go back to finish up the content that was already recorded on them.

Our net savings is $98/month* over what we were paying for our FiOS package. When I called to cancel, it was considerably cheaper to keep their "lifeline" TV service than to keep internet only. So technically we're still getting FiOS TV, but we don't have any boxes/cablecards to view it with.

*For the first year, it will actually be an even bigger savings, because during our conversation VZ gave us HBO free for 1 year, so I don't need to buy it via Hulu.

Admittedly, all this would be very different if we were big sports fans. Hockey is the only sport we care about, and now that the season is here we'll see how that goes. We're going to try just listening to the games on SiriusXM. But even if we end up buying the NHL.tv package, financially speaking we will still be way ahead.

#70 ·
We just cut the cord this summer. When I first started thinking seriously about it I was convinced we needed live TV and some kind of DVR. I tested all the major services, but in the process I realized we virtually never watch anything live. I decided to try streaming only, figuring that if we missed live TV we could always add it later. No need.

We went with an Apple TV, Hulu (streaming only, no commercials), Showtime and HBO. We also already had/have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so those are not added expenses. We kept FiOS and our two TiVos for a couple months just in case we decided we weren't happy with the new setup, but we never went back to them. Everything we watch was available via one of the streaming services, so we didn't even go back to finish up the content that was already recorded on them.

Our net savings is $98/month* over what we were paying for our FiOS package. When I called to cancel, it was considerably cheaper to keep their "lifeline" TV service than to keep internet only. So technically we're still getting FiOS TV, but we don't have any boxes/cablecards to view it with.

*For the first year, it will actually be an even bigger savings, because during our conversation VZ gave us HBO free for 1 year, so I don't need to buy it via Hulu.

Admittedly, all this would be very different if we were big sports fans. Hockey is the only sport we care about, and now that the season is here we'll see how that goes. We're going to try just listening to the games on SiriusXM. But even if we end up buying the NHL.tv package, financially speaking we will still be way ahead.
I'm not much of a sports fan myself and I also find that commercial-free basic Hulu ($12) plus Netflix, Showtime and occasional HBO or Amazon Prime Video meets my needs (plus live locals OTA for local news, Sunday NFL, mindless channel surfing). Live streaming news from CBSN and free recent on-demand from the PBS app round out things, along with an occasional rented or free movie on VUDU. I do like being able to record some stuff here and there with my Roamio OTA but it wouldn't be *that* much of an adjustment to live without it as long as I keep Hulu.

#71 ·
Live streaming news from CBSN and free recent on-demand from the PBS app round out things....
I have both these apps installed as well, but I haven't used them much. Used CBSN to see some of the Hurricane Irma coverage. So far the Reuters app is my favorite news app. When you launch it, you can select a 10-, 15-, or (I believe) 30-minute current news update, or select individual stories one-by-one. There's also a live feed, which is often just video with no commentary at all, which I find oddly mesmerizing.

#125 ·
Okay, it's THREE services you need to subscribe to, not 1, and then it's a giant pain to try to juggle them, figure out when shows will disappear, etc. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier and cheaper too to just get a TiVo. Then just supplement with other services as you like on a month to month basis.

Comcast's Instant TV might be a plausible alternative, though it's more than just buying a TiVo, limited to only 20 hours for some reason, and limited to two "tuners" for some reason...but at least it gets all 6 major networks with one service.

#126 ·
Okay, it's THREE services you need to subscribe to, not 1, and then it's a giant pain to try to juggle them, figure out when shows will disappear, etc. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier and cheaper too to just get a TiVo. Then just supplement with other services as you like on a month to month basis.

Comcast's Instant TV might be a plausible alternative, though it's more than just buying a TiVo, limited to only 20 hours for some reason, and limited to two "tuners" for some reason...but at least it gets all 6 major networks with one service.
All depends on your preferences, budget, etc. <shrug> I have a TiVo Roamio OTA and I also have ad-free Hulu. But I will say this, I guarantee you there are a heck of a lot more Americans with a Hulu subscription than there are using all brands of OTA DVRs combined.

#131 ·
I think the cost and functionality of a TiVo Roamio OTA is the best investment you can make if you're looking to cut the cord and save $ on TV (assuming you have decent reception at your location). It gives you a heck of a lot of free programming with a great interface and even incorporates Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime if you chose to subscribe to those. We went for close to 7 years with just OTA & Netflix and found plenty to watch. Roamio OTA is well worth the one time cost to purchase. And if you watch for the TiVo White Out sale that's coming up quickly there may be a great deal on Roamio OTA refurb units but you'd have to strike fast! As others have said though, beyond getting the free OTA channels what you want to use to supplement OTA is a personal preference thing. The nice thing is that none of the current over the top streaming services have contracts. So just buy a $40 Roku or Fire Stick and try some of them out. Most have free trials as well. See what works best for you as you only pay for 1 month at a time after the trial and can drop a service and change to a different one easily.

Reactions: Karyn
#11 ·
@NashGuy: Yeah, I've discovered that. :p It looks like, to get what I want, I'm going to have to get the Roamio and the FireTV box - I looked at the Roku, and I like it, but The Boss (aka my lovely wife) prefers the FireTV...so we compromised...and we're getting the FireTV. :D

On the plus side, I really like the Roamio's features, especially how it grabs all the various schedules and puts them into one interface. It really seems to take the 'smooth, easy to use interface' seriously. :) And the FireTV will let me get Sling, which gives me the channels I want - plus a few other ones that my current cable doesn't have, so that's cool.

@tenthplanet: Yeah...been working on that list (wife actually started a spreadsheet). We figured out what channels are essential, what are 'want to have but can live without', and what are 'meh'. I figured out what services we want to use to get the channels we want, mostly it was just a matter of finding the hardware that could give me all of them. Sadly, there was no 'one box' solution to do it all. The Roamio came close, but it wont do Sling (I was going to go with Hulu Live instead, but TiVo wont do that either :p).

Once I have all my ducks in a row (they're mostly there now), I'll post again. And if I have more questions I'll definitely post. Hopefully once I finish headbutting my way through this process, I can pay it forward and help someone else eventually. :)

#15 · (Edited)
If you accept that you'll have to use 2 boxes and get a universal remote, your options are wide open. If you insist that every streaming app lives on your Tivo, then your options are very limited. That pretty much eliminates every TV channel streaming service. My 80+ y/o mother handles Roku and Tivo just fine with a universal remote, every service is just one button press away.

The closest you can get to a one box solution for OTA DVR and TV channel streaming is with an Nvidia Shield and HD HomeRun or with a Channel Master DVR+ that can run Sling TV. Personally, I think the 2 box solution is much more desirable and flexible and is what I use myself and have set up for other family members in their households (parents, kids). I've programmed their remotes so they can instantly switch to/from any app/source with one button and even have nice icons/logos so there is no confusion whatsoever, even if the user can't read (toddlers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.