Cutting off last 5 minutes of every recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by itsdavetime, Sep 21, 2011.

1. itsdavetime

itsdavetime New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    I have a Tivo Premier, and just about every recording, the last few minutes are cut off. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Do I have to go into every single season pass and extend it by 5 minutes? My only issue with doing this, is it will cause issues if I have something set to record after it.

Thanks

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    On what channels and shows are you seeing this problem? Not seeing it on any of my TiVos.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do the recordings start on time? Late? Early?

Off-topic for future searchers:

If you use TiVo Desktop with SD recordings and 2 hour movies somehow become 1:55, it's probably because your "My TiVo Recordings" folder is on a FAT32 partition, and it can only handle files up to 4GB, which is just a little less than 2 hours at Best Quality. It needs to be on an NTFS partition.

4. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Are these local broadcast channels or "satellite" channels? Do you have an antenna or cable? Are you recording cable analog or digital? Is it really missing 5 minutes or usually only 30 seconds to a minute?

There are issues with some of these that will help explain what is going on.

Can you cite a few specific examples?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should try a power cycle/reboot the tivo.

6. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I've always had this issue too since I got the Premiere. Its mostly cable channels, a typical example is Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on Travel Channel. It always stops in the middle of his last sentence before the credits roll. It almost always stops during the credits somewhere on other programs, its just not so annoying as when it clips the last seconds of the actual show. I'm on Time-Warner SoCal, East Valley

7. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Sounds like your clock is out of sync with the networks. Your provider sends the clock signal to your Tivo so if it's not correct it's going to throw your entire recording schedule off. Your best bet is to pad the beginning and end of each recording to avoid losing any of the program. I've always done this for every season pass on every Tivo I've owned. If you're losing five minutes from every program I'd pad it by at least 6 or 7 minutes, if not more.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    TiVos set the clock during their daily connect, not from a time signal sent to the TiVo by the provider.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :up:

and the issue really has nothing to do with Tivo. Recording from time A to time B is all Tivo does. What happens between those times is up to the individual content providers. Apparently, they can choose to falsely advertise the start and end times of their programs.

10. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Cable channels are particularly susceptible to being delayed a few seconds up to a minute or so.

Remember, those signals are bounced off a satellite and encur delays. Remember two newscasters trying to carry on a conversation across the ocean? You have surely seen this. There are uncomfortable delays in their conversations. Also, every piece of digital equipment that the signal passes through adds some more delays.

And as scandia101 said, many providers do not publish actual program start and stop times. Some networks are much worse than others.

However, usually, your local broadcast stations will be much closer to being correct than the satellite distributed signals.

11. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
  12. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I stand corrected. I must have been thinking about the old days when some VCRs would get their clocks synched up with a local PBS channel. I think cable boxes get their time data from the provider.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Which left you at the mercy of the local PBS affiliate who could screw up your recordings by not keeping that time reference properly maintained.

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That could have been a great motivator to donate during pledge drives.:D

15. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Yes.

That's what I do...

Rarely -- but if there are things you want to record at the same time on more channels than you have tuners, there really isn't a way to avoid that...