Cut the darn cable.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jluvs2ride, Jan 12, 2019.

1. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Sick to death of high cable costs, paying for gillions of channels I never look at, and un-ending problems with tuning adapters and cable cards.

I'm considering a strong uni-directional antenna supplemented by a number of strong directional yagi type antennas in my attic, a Hulu account along with my Netflix and Prime Video accounts and just drop cable except for the internet.

So I have a TiVo and three Minis. I believe the problem is going to be the TiVo. It's a Roamio Pro which apparently doesn't support OTA.

So, what prevents the Roamio Pro from receiving OTA and does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The Plus & Pro versions of the Roamio don't have any ATSC tuners. You would have to switch to one of the 4-tuner Roamio or Bolt models.

If you do any mobile streaming or use TiVo online, I'd keep the Pro around for its built-in Stream hardware.

jluvs2ride likes this.
  3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
  4. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    kettledrum likes this.
  5. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    When I talked to Spectrum retention about this, they stated that it did work with TiVo. Once baseball season is over, I'll be going this route. Haven't been able to find any other way to get ATT Sports Net for Pittsburgh.

6. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    So is it an app, or is it delivered like regular cable?

7. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
  8. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    My understanding of this option is that it is delivered via regular cable, then you can use a cable card (plus tuning adapter if any channels are SDV) or a Spectrum receiver/DVR to watch. You would also have access to the Spectrum streaming app for your selected channels.

Here's the link I was given...

spectrum.com/content/spectrum/residential/microsites/choice-channels/index.html

Noelmel and jluvs2ride like this.
  9. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Seems like a friend of mine tried to downgrade to this and was told it's for internet only customers only.

Noelmel likes this.
  10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    It isn't. I had it for a couple of years as a cable TV customer. You just have to try harder. The only way I could get it at the time was to threaten to cancel. Then retention offered it right away. It's a good package, but streaming services like DirecTV NOW are a much better value, which is what I switched to after dropping Choice. But DTVN is a cloud DVR service incompatible with Tivo (I no longer use Tivo either).

samsauce29 likes this.
  11. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Agreed. The streaming services have caught up. I'm considering it as it allows me to retain TiVo in 4 rooms and to leave my MoCA network as is. So it's not the best maybe, but in my case the simplest.

12. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What happens is, is that you end up bumping in to your Data Cap...

-KP

13. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Currently no caps on Spectrum, but this could definitely be a problem for those facing caps. I'd be curious if anyone here has data points on that. My parents have a 1 TB cap that concerns me if they were to go to streaming.

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    True. But luckily, Spectrum has no cap (at the moment). And I forgot to mention that more than half my TV viewing is OTA. So I estimate that I use less than 300GB/month for TV streaming (~3hr/day at 3GB/hr = 3*30*3 = 270GB). 3GB/hr is what an HD Netflix stream is.

My mother, on the other hand, has Fox News running all day long. So she's probably 8hr/day*30*2.5 = 600GB assuming DTVN is a lower rate than Netflix.

15. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    From what I've read, Spectrum is very picky about which folks they'll offer that package to. They don't offer it to their current regular TV customers like you.

Keep in mind that the streaming cable TV services (DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, PS Vue) offer major local channels. Which locals each service offers varies from one area to another, depending on whether they've worked out deals with the locals in that market. What's your zip code? It's worth checking to find out which local channels you could get from each of those streaming services. Because if you got all your locals that way, you wouldn't even need to worry about having a TiVo or other DVR to work with an OTA antenna. (Although you might still want to connect an OTA antenna directly to your TV, just as a backup in case your internet service went out.)

Noelmel and OrangeCrush like this.
  16. SOUTHDAYTONA DON

SOUTHDAYTONA DON New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I spent one whole hour on the phone talking to two sales reps and the Internet Tech department at Orlando Spectrum. The consensus being that if you are talking about TV Choice you can get a DVR from Spectrum. And the Bolt is not a compatible DVR. But the first sales rep would offer me a cable card for $2 but none of the people that I spoke with knew what a tuning adaptor is. Now they stated that tv choice uses the internet. I, also, found a forum on this topic with a Spectrum employee who provides input. I never saw any comments about anyone using a DVR of any kind. I would not put any faith in anything that they stated as they sounded like this was the first day in the sales department. Perhaps you should try to get a reading from TIVO support. LOL

samsauce29 likes this.
  17. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Lol yes. I believe what you're saying is very true! My plan will be to try it, if it doesn't work, retreat to a YouTube TV or Hulu Live TV solution. At that point, I'd convert my Bolts to OTA and leave Spectrum behind for any sort of TV.

18. SOUTHDAYTONA DON

SOUTHDAYTONA DON New Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I found a youtube for you to watch. It points out that you have access to on demand for the channels you picked. This is kind of in lieu of your dvring stuff. It did mention that you could get their dvr box for an extra $20. This may fit your needs.

Noelmel and samsauce29 like this.
  19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    As I said before, I had this package for nearly 2 years using various cable card DVRs (WMC and Tivo), if you have any more questions. In spite of what Spectrum may tell you, it works fine with their own DVR and any cable card DVR as well as the the Roku and Apple TV apps.

Noelmel and samsauce29 like this.
  20. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Thank you both. This is definitely good stuff.

The app has been downloaded and is in-use for the Roku stick in our kitchen. With the few minutes per day that cable is viewed in that room, the A92 Mini was a bit of overkill. That will find a nice home for someone on eBay soon.