1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut the cord with Roamio Pro?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by catiesparkles, Jul 18, 2018.

1. catiesparkles

catiesparkles New Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I'm looking for some advice. I've searched around in the forums but it just left me confused and overwhelmed. We currently have a Roamio Pro with a month-to-month subscription. I love it - I love Tivo in general, and have had their boxes for years.

I am really wanting to cut the cord and get rid of cable completely. We currently have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon streaming services, and we have an Amazon FireTV. We don't have HBO or Showtime or any premium channels. I guess my question is this: if we cancel our cable, is my Roamio Pro worthless? Can I use it at all without a cable subscription?

I love the OnePass and having all of my shows that I have picked organized in one spot. I don't want to have to have multiple different streaming apps with multiple different watch lists. Is there a way to continue using my Tivo and not have cable, but simply have a handful of streaming apps and an antenna for local channels?

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    The Pro would be almost useless. No OTA tuner. You couldn’t record anything on it. You could use it only to launch apps.

catiesparkles likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Roamio Pro is cable only. It is not worthless. Check if selling it would make you enough money to buy a Roamio OTA.

Buyer/Seller Area

PCurry57 and catiesparkles like this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You might want to consider purchasing a Roamio OTA (currently $349.99 at Amazon.com)--it includes an All-in (formerly known as "Lifetime") subscription (the life of the box, not your lifetime) and thus would be paid off in just shy of 2 years - 2-1/3rd years compared to the subscription price alone for a TiVo box on monthly or annual subscription.

PCurry57, tim1724 and catiesparkles like this.
  5. catiesparkles

catiesparkles New Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thanks for the quick responses. Will the Roamio OTA integrate with Hulu Live?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    catiesparkles and krkaufman like this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sadly, no; nor any of the other OTT cable replacements (PS Vue, Sling TV, DirecTV NOW, Philo; not sure about YouTube TV). You’d think TiVo could partner with one or more to create a well-integrated solution, but I expect that TiVo is too dependent on cable companies for revenue to risk their ire.

catiesparkles likes this.
  8. catiesparkles

catiesparkles New Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ugh, that's a bummer. Since Hulu Live comes with cloud DVR, would there really be any reason to get the Roamio OTA? $350 seems like a lot just for additional recording space and organizing my shows.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio OTA (and 4-tuner BOLT) can be used for recording content from Over-the-Air (OTA) antennas (local broadcast TV); if you're not looking to do that, then these boxes wouldn't make sense -- and dumping cable, as well, would put you outside the TiVo product line, entirely.

If you're considering an OTT service, a $30 Roku Express (e.g.) would be a good sampler device.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If most of what you watch is on OTA, then you might want the Roamio OTA, since there is no further subscription fee. The Roamio OTA would pay for itself over time with the HULU subscription fee savings. There are some local programming and subchannels on OTA that aren't on HULU.

11. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    No, it will not. The Hulu app only supports the old (base) Hulu. Frankly, the Tivo makes for a lousy streamer. The apps are outdated and there are very limited choices. You should really get a Roku Ultra. Apples to Oranges.

aaronwt likes this.
  12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    A cheap alternative to a Roamio OTA / Roku combo is the Channel Master Stream+. It only has 2 tuners, a very basic DVR, and you must add your own external storage. But it's only $150 and, being an Android TV box, runs most OTT and streaming apps. Granted some must be side loaded, but generally work fine. I'm running DirecTV NOW, Netflix, Prime Video, HBO GO and several other streaming apps on mine. The Google Live Channels DVR app works moderately well considering the price (free). However, it has no whole-home capability like Tivo.

One nice bonus is that Live Channels can integrate several other streaming / channel sources into guide. So my guide has all my OTA channels plus Pluto, Haystack and PuppetMaster which gives me access to several foreign channels like BBC and ITV when my VPN is active. And of course one of the big advantages of running Android is that you can also run Kodi.

I'm still running my Roamio and Stream+ side by side for now and have not switched entirely to the Stream+ yet. But I probably will if my Roamio and spare Roamio ever fails and is unrepairable.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  13. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    For Hulu Live, YouTubeTV, DirecTV Now, Sling TV just get an Android TV box like a Nividia Shield, there are many less expensive units that may not get updates. Nividia had already proven their determination to continue support. Even first gen units are kept upto date with current 2nd gen.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's because the Shield TV hardware is the same. Only the newer ones actually have less features. Like no SD card slot. But the internal hardware is the same as three years ago. They just reduced the size of the housing.