Cut the Cord Now, Reconnect Later... A Cablecard Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by HellFish, May 7, 2011.

1. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    Right now we have a Premiere with Comcast in the Phila area. We've been talking about testing cutting the cord this summer. If we do cut cable, then decide we want it back, would we have to go through the rigmarole with getting a new cable card, or will be able to reactivate the one we have? Although they setup the cablecard in a day originally, it took several hours. They had to make a stop back at the office to collect more of them, since the 3 he had in his truck did not work.

We are going to stay customers with Comcast for their internet service.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They can reactivate your card with a phone call (assuming you can reach someone who knows anything about them, which is a big if), but if you cut the cable cord won't they want it back?

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Do an experimental "cut" now. See which season passes you can do without, which you might be able to grab online (Netflix, Hulu), and which you might be able to grab with an antenna. Keep the season passes, and allow them to record, but don't watch them. See if you can go 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month without the shows, or by finding them online or with an antenna. Are there any shows you absolutely NEED Comcast for that you just CAN'T live without?

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    You probably will have to return the cable cards if you stop cable service.

5. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    I recently dropped Directv. $92 a month was a luxury I wasn't getting enough out of anymore. It's only been 2 weeks now but I don't miss it yet. There are some shows that I can't get on Hulu or Netflix that I just get from Amazon VOD. I get Mythbusters for $1.89 each for example. I figure even if I buy 100 shows a year from Amazon, I'm still out just 2 Directv monthly payments.:up:

6. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize they'd want their cablecard back, but you are probably right. Looking at my bill, I see I'm also spending $7 a month on the modem rental. I'll be stopping at BB later this week to see if I can eliminate that cost as well.

I hooked up a nettop Revo 3700 (amazon link) to our living room tv. The past couple weeks I've been getting my wife used to using Hulu & XBMC on the TV. We'll probably hang on to the TiVO for OTA & Netflix as well. Netflix looks better on the Tivo vs the Revo. We currently have a special $29 a month deal with Comcast for TV service that is set to expire at the end of this month. Once this deal is gone, we'll probably be dropping cable. The only thing I'll miss is the Wishlists that I have set up to search for specific subjects.

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    You should be able to pickup a Cisco CM100 refurb cable modem for $40. It's DOCSIS 2 compliant. That would give you a payback of < 6 months :)

8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    If you have Comcast phone service you might not be able to
    buy a Emta to use with the phone service. If you just have internet only I would get a Motorola sb6120 d3 modem. Cast is switching over to docis 3. The d3 modem will give you a more stable connections using 4 downstream paths.