Right now we have a Premiere with Comcast in the Phila area. We've been talking about testing cutting the cord this summer. If we do cut cable, then decide we want it back, would we have to go through the rigmarole with getting a new cable card, or will be able to reactivate the one we have? Although they setup the cablecard in a day originally, it took several hours. They had to make a stop back at the office to collect more of them, since the 3 he had in his truck did not work. We are going to stay customers with Comcast for their internet service.