Customized guide Data. Possible?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MaryT, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 #1 of 20
    MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ

Advertisements

No, it's not for a Tivo :)

My parents can't seem to get a complete listing of the programs available to them for the channels they receive. They don't want the cable cos on-screen lists, they want paper :)

Currently they're using a combination of the local sunday paper guide plus a subscription to TV guide. Neither helps them very much.

Is there any service, online or not, where I could input the channels they recieve and get a guide listing on a weekly basis?

2. Mar 3, 2011 #2 of 20
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Um...TV Guide magazine?

3. Mar 3, 2011 #3 of 20
    MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    No, they get that and it's not nearly complete. It includes some stations they get and excludes a lot of them.

4. Mar 3, 2011 #4 of 20
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Try www.titantv.com. I believe you can customize the guide to some extent.

5. Mar 3, 2011 #5 of 20
    MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ

Advertisements

Thank you. I'll try them.

6. Mar 3, 2011 #6 of 20
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    TV Guide doesn't do comprehensive listings anymore. Haven't for a while now. They are more of an entertainment news magazine. They dropped program listings, figuring most people were using online or electronic guides of some sort.

7. Mar 3, 2011 #7 of 20
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    zap2it.com and if they want the paper version, just print. They also update daily (or twice daily) just as our Tivo does.

8. Mar 4, 2011 #8 of 20
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    You can get custom listing on the TV Guide web site for your area/provider and then set your favorite channels.

9. Mar 4, 2011 #9 of 20
    MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Thank you again!

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    www.zap2it.com is the gold standard for tv listings and you can customize it. Their guide data comes from Tribune Media, which provides the guide data to DirecTV and many others.

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    And unfortunately, the best you can get out of Zap is a six hour grid.

I've suggested to them that allowing people to download an entire week's worth of listings (or even just a day's worth) would be something a lot of people would want.

12. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Zap2It is good, but the thing that irritates me is that it will only let you specify one provider at a time. With titantv.com you can select multiple lineups (for instance if you use both basic cable and OTA at the same time like I do.) But there is the same problem with printing the listings - you can only print the listings that are on that screen at that time.

I agree that being able to print a week or more's listings would be a good feature. (It would use up a heck of a lot of paper and ink though!)

8Kyay!

13. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    For MaryT and others, what's our use case here? Why do you want to have your guides like this?

Are you looking for an overview ahead of time of when favorite shows are coming back? Is it to discover what else is out there on your favorite channels, perhaps under the assumption that because you like certain shows on this channel, you might like others? Or do you just want a listing sorted by time, so you can quickly glance at it to see what's on right now that you might like?

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Tribune had a back door you could download free guide data for certain applications. They had to shut that down due to mis-use. You can now buy the same data through schedules direct.

Don't forget that Tribune still owns the copyright on that data, so that need to be considered for whatever ends up happening.

15. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Wow. They have NO program listings anymore? I remember back in the day subscribing mostly for the lame Cheers and Jeers and moronically easy crossword.

For a short while after getting Directv I subscribed to their Direct Guide magazine but it gave me a headache trying to find anything in there. Strictly a guide nomad now.

16. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Not exactly. I believe Loadstar said no comprehensive listings. They still have listings but they are a pale shadow of what they were in TV Guides heyday. Instead of the local editions with 24 hour a day listings, they now only have prime time listings for around a hundred national broadcast and cable networks. Each day is accompanied by a couple of pages of extra information and reviews of shows on that night.

I actually prefer the new TV Guide to the old one. It has no relevance as a TV listing magazine anymore, but they are doing a good job of reinventing themselves as an general TV entertainment magazine. There's much more room for articles than there was when the format was smaller and jammed with listings. And the magazine really does a good job with inside information on shows. Every issue is rife with spoilers though so if you don't like that stay away!

17. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In my Pre-Tivo days, I had TVGuide but the listings were only accurate for the week and no updates til the next issue. Also USPS gets delayed in the delivery often. Tivo brought me a new perspective with daily updates and over 10 days of Guide.

18. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
  19. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    My parents want something similar to the old TV guide format. All the shows on all the channels for a specific time, plus the descriptions (or most of them) for the entire week.

They are seniors with no access to the internet. I'm trying to find something similar for them but it appears not to exist.

20. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I understand that that's what they want, but how would they use that list? To find out when shows they already enjoy are on, to find out about new shows that are upcoming, or to find out about anything that might be on at a particular moment and sound interesting?