Customer Support My Rear End

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ADG, Dec 15, 2018.

1. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA

Advertisements

I've been a Tivo customer for close to 20 years and have 5 boxes. One of my Roamios is stuck at the "loading" screen. I'm guessing it needs a replacement HD, but I have lifetime service and in the past Tivo has simply replaced a failing unit with a new (or refurbished) unit and transferred the lifetime service for little or no cost to me. Now they want a replacement fee of $79 (which, after you complain, they will waive) and $200 for new lifetime service - they refuse to transfer service if the unit is 3 years old. Really? So what, exactly, is the definition of lifetime???

And I am in no way xenophobic (in fact, I have a strong dislike of xenophobes), but I could barely understand the CS rep with whom I was speaking (or her supervisor).

Eventually I said thank you and hung up. Called Weaknees, ordered a new drive for $129, and realized that Tivo "customer support" ain't what it used to be. Too bad.

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    it's not tivo it's rovi just renamed tivo

3. ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    Exactly like ATT and Directv.....now garbage.

4. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Seems that TiVo's definition of lifetime is the lifetime of the unit.

When the unit dies in warranty they will replace the unit and transfer the lifetime service.

When the unit dies out of warranty you get whatever offer that CSR gives you.

You can call back and try CSR roulette or contact TiVo Executive Relations and state your case.
    They have the power to resolve cases the CSRs don't have.

Be nice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Mikeguy, dlfl and pfiagra like this.
  5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002

Advertisements

Of the box. That fight was fought twenty years ago, after the very first version of the box. You're WAY late to the battle.

cwerdna, Mikeguy, rpj22 and 3 others like this.
  6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    It is a shame. I've also been a Tivo customer for quite a few years and they really USED TO have excellent customer service. That started to change 2-3 years ago, IIRC, and it changed profoundly.

If I cannot figure something out myself, I come here. There is an absolute wealth of knowledge on this board and I am constantly amazed at how much many people here know.

I don't call Tivo anymore, nor do I report things with those reporting forms because that doesn't work anymore either, in my experience. Last few forms I submitted didn't get any response at all. The one before that I got an email saying that the problem was fixed, but it totally wasn't. Not worth the stress to me. If I felt there were other excellent choices for hardware and service I would go there. I just keep hoping it might get better again.

mschnebly likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have had decent response to the lineup corrections. But I still use Twitter when I want to increase the heat. I just sent out a tweet to MSNBC and TiVo about the special Sunday at 9pm which is on 2017 events. Only Gracenote has 2018. But like you said, I only call to cancel service. I wonder what they do for on-line support since they killed their forum and the chat only gives out phone numbers. If there was an alternative I would look too. But with cable, our world is pretty small.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Retail cost of All-In/Lifetime service is $550. Combined with the $80 fee for a replacement box, for what I'm assuming is a TiVo DVR that's outside its warranty, it seems like TiVo is offering a pretty decent deal, $280 for a DVR w/ All-In/Lifetime service.

sushikitten, CloudAtlas and dlfl like this.
  9. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    For a refurbished unit.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But may I ask--and while I would love a "my Lifetime" warranty on my TiVo boxes--what other manufacturer provides half-cost (and less) recovery options for an out-of-warranty piece of electronics? Sony tells me to pound sand, and that I instead should be buying new stuff from it rather than trying to have my electronics last. I do recognize, though, that Lifetime is a hefty price-tag to lose.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    CloudAtlas and cwerdna like this.
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This:
    I've had some recent line-up reports, including the lack of episode data for an entire station 24/7, repaired in 3-5 days. (But without any communication to me, apart from the system's auto-response.)

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    So put in a new drive yourself. Lifetime is not a warranty. It happens.

cwerdna, CloudAtlas and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  13. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I guess I just don't understand this post....... Your PLS Roamio's HD is Failing (failed).

And simple enough, it needs a new HD....... So order one (like you did) and replace it.

I Honestly don't see what the problem is????? (other than you are going to spend some $ for a repair)

jrtroo and cwerdna like this.
  14. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I thinks it generous of Tivo to offer you another unit with all in for a reduced price. They really dont have to. Thats why I cautioned in the other thread anyone buying a refurb Tivo with all in. Not a good idea seeing how all these units are older now and I bet with HDD several years old.

If the problem is just the HDD, just fix it yourself, use Google and YouTube.

jrtroo, cwerdna and UCLABB like this.
  15. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Well I recently submitted a channel lineup error form and got an automated response immediately, a follow up email the next day and, after the missing channels were added (about 3 days later), an email saying that they believe they had resolved the problem, but if not, there was an 800 number to call.

By modern standards, that is above average service.

jrtroo and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  16. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Buy a 3TB hard drive and replace the failing drive yourself. Hard drive replacement is plug and play on the Roamio. The Roamio will format the drive.

17. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Here's my complaint in a nutshell. In past years I've had two boxes "die". In both cases Tivo replaced them for a modest fee (I want to say either $29 or $49 - I really don't recall) with a refurbished unit and transferred the lifetime service to the replacement box. If it turns out that once a box is older than 3 years the above option is no longer available, then I guess my original post is out of line.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Indeed it is. Maybe they are getting better again. I really hope so! This is one of the companies I respected for their customer service and products, for quite a few years.

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Funny: I submitted a lineup issue yesterday. Within 23 hours, 57 minutes I received a feedback form. Obvious the problem is still there and it won't matter. But I did Tweet @tivo and @MSNBC.

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    You tweet-monster, you. ;)