Curved BOLT Design: Love it or Hate it ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by SalemCat, Sep 21, 2016.

BOLT curved design - Love, Hate, Meh

Poll closed Sep 28, 2016.
  1. Love

11.5%
  2. Hate

44.3%
  3. Meh

44.3%
  1. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006

Advertisements

To me the new form factor is inconvenient and anti-functional.

I can't stack anything on top of it.

It's difficult to wall-mount.

The curve intrudes into some viewing angles.

To me it's Industrial Design done for the sake of Industrial Design - the worst of all worlds.

I hope the next iteration is a traditional box.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well the white Bolt has been out for almost a year and TiVo just release the Black Bolt + with exactly the same form factor so I guess someone at TiVo thought the look was working for them.

In any event I don't really care how electronics look - my concern is how they work and the Bolt works great and my Roku sits on top of it just fine.

3. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I don't actually own a Bolt, as the (4) Premieres I own serve my needs.

But the form factor is definitely important to me.

WISH LIST:

#1 To be able to plug a USB Flash Drive into the front and watch videos and display pics.

#2 Built-in keyholes on the bottom so as to be able to Wall-Mount easily

#3 The ability to plug in a standard External Hard Drive for expansion. And it should be able to be unplugged and inserted into other TiVo units.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    #3 is against the CableCARD rules so it will never happen. At least not for cable recordings. Maybe for OTA.

To me the design is just meh. Don't love it, but don't hate it either. If I were in need of a new TiVo I'd buy a Bolt+

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I've hated the design and color since I first got a Bolt in October 2015. But that didn't stop me from getting two. I only wish the Bolt+ would have been available a year ago. The design is much more tolerable in Black. Plus it is so much smaller than the Roamio Line.

6. supie

supie Member

Mar 28, 2007
    What idiot thought this up.

I been want to upgrade ever since they came out. In fact, I want to buy two of the new Bolt Pluses but I won't until they come out with a traditional enclosure.

The Curve Bolt will not fit in my Equipment Cabinet.

I can't stack on top of it.

It looks stupid in a equipment cabinet with A/V Receiver, DVD & BlueRay Players, CD Player, etc.

It looks dumb as a stand alone next to your TV.

hsutton4 likes this.
  7. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    I read somewhere that the form factor was for cooling (probably providing better airflow to the fan on the bottom). But I agree, the shape is inconvenient and distracting (as is the white color on the old Bolts).

8. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    I am not familiar with those rules.

I'm not asking for the TiVo shows to be in any standard format, though.

To keep them as TiVo Videos, to be viewed only on TiVo equipment, would be fine with me.

I just don't like the expensive and unusual TiVo expansion HD. I had one; it failed; I lost all my shows.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I rather like it, since I don't put anything on my Tivos, nor do I mount them. I can see the frustration there, though!

But what I mostly like is that I'm a nut for keeping my electronics cool, so there is all that circulation. I think that with this particular model it's even more important, as I notice more heat coming from it than any of my previous Tivos.

I have actually always taken 4 water bottle caps and made little feet for under each Tivo so that there is some circulation underneath. It's fine except for when you clean and move it, then you have to wrestle them back where they are supposed to be. :D

10. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I don't mind the curve as much as the color and the flimsiness. Every time I have to pick it up I think I might break it. At least the Premiere was more sturdy.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Not going to happen, they have never expressed any interest in it
    Not going to happen, they want the current design to showcase their product over the others.
    Never ever going to happen, CableCARD rules don't allow it.
    Sounds like a Roamio Pro is the device you want.

12. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    It's ugly, don't like the bend (limits placement, can't stand on edge), hate the bright white.

The plus while black and added two more tuners (ok, but it loses OTA capability), limited streaming capability (down to two streams), and finally one again losing OTA compatibility is a big do-not-buy.

13. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I don't have any strong opinion on the shape of Bolt. I certainly don't mind it.

14. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I very much dislike the curved case - others have already stated all the reasons. What I really HATE is the white color combined with the stupid curved design - it looks like a piece of Applecrap, which is something I would NEVER own or even allow in my house, so it disgusts me every time I look at it.

And BTW - the Dish Hopper allows the use of any standard USB drive as external storage, and that drive can be removed, reconnected, and even transferred to a different Hopper WITHOUT losing any recordings anywhere! So if a greedy company like Dish can do that, in my opinion there is absolutely NO excuse for TiVo to not do it!

jby114 likes this.
  15. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Thanks good to know.

I would invest in the next TiVo for that alone.

I'd love to attach a 5TB Seagate to a USB 3.0 Port !!

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Dish does not need to deal with the cablecard standard. So, there is a great reason for Tivo to make it work the way it does. I'm sure they would rather make it easier for folks that to have the restriction they use now for compliance.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The CCI flag rules are weird. You can't copy a recording, or move a hard drive between devices. However you can stream a protected recording. You can also move a recording to the drive of another device as long as it's not accessible by both devices at the same time. (this is how the iPad premium download feature works) The main point is they're not allowed to store the recordings on a drive that can just be moved and plugged in to another device. In fact to prevent "hacking" they actually spread recordings equally across both the internal and external HDD so that there are no complete recordings ever on the external drive.

As for allowing other brands... they could do that. In fact they did that originally. But they had a lot of support issues with drives that were not up to spec so they changed it to only allow the official WD DVR Expander drives.

18. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Speaking of WD DVR Expander drive, I have a 1 TB drive for sale. Don't know if this is the right thread but I thought I'd let you know. Don't know what to sell if for but bought it and never used it because I never go above the space on the TiVo itself.

19. SalemCat

SalemCat Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Thanks for the knowledge.

Laws can change if you vote for people who will do so.