Cursed - Netflix - *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoREvanescence, Jul 18, 2020.

1. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA

Advertisements

Just finished watching the first season of Cursed on Netflix.

I quite enjoyed this show and am looking forward to a possible season 2.

The show follows the fae, the church and the king.

The one thing I'm still trying to figure out is why Nimue and her mother didn't have antlers. They mentioned wings because they weren't pure bread fea, but not even the fea with antlers had wings.

Nimue is turning out to be a leader of her people.

Season 1 leaves us wondering if she is still alive / survived and will be in season 2

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I binged this over three days this past weekend. I found it good it good enough to keep my interest. It's an interesting reimagining of the Arthur legend. I don't know how they're going to retrofit their story into the mythology that we're familiar with or if they want or need to. Their story can stand on it's own but I'm still curious.

I'm not a fan of the earthy, woodsy fey (that's how the closed captioning spelled it) so I'm glad that Nimue, her mother .and others didn't have antlers and horns.

Merlin is certainly hard to kill. It was good to see Floki (from Vikings) again. Once I recognized the actor I was surprised that he didn't have that sing-song speech pattern and accent from that show.

Iris must die.

Once thing surprised me. Apparently, there were a lot more black people in ancient Britain than we've been told. English history may need to be readdressed.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There were four groups of Fey...the ones with antlers, the ones with wings, the ones with scales, and the ones with no visible distinctions (Nimue has the plant veins that appear when she's doing magic, but I'm not sure if that's all her kind or just her).

4. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Watching episode 1. So far, not a fan of Captain Jack Sparrow as Merlin.

5. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

I don’t get a Jack Sparrow vibe at all, if anything he’s too much like the last character I saw him play, Floki on Vikings

LoREvanescence likes this.
  6. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Okay, he's not stumbling around as much in episode 2. Never watched Vikings. Maybe he's playing himself?

As of episode 2, this show is kind of depressing. Nothing to cheer for and none of the characters seem terribly interesting.

On to episode 3.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Actually, I thought his character here was markedly different than his character in Vikings.

When we first meet him here, he's falling-down drunk. That's not the case throughout. I suppose initially a comparison to Jack Sparrow is apt, since Jack Sparrow is ALWAYS falling-down drunk. But Merlin has a lot more range. And, frankly, a lot more actual character.

LoREvanescence likes this.
  8. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Episode 3. Still not liking any of the main characters much. Morgana has potential as an interesting character. On to episode 4.

9. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Rewatching the series one episode a night. Picking up a lot more details than I did binge watching the entire thing through while multi tasking.

The first time through I missed the where the name "Wolf Blood Witch" came from. I had just assumed it was what she became when she became summoner. Wonder what Summoner means for her.

I'm wondering what direction this show is headed. Reading about the show it's supposed to be King Arthur Legend. So does that mean if there is a season 2 it will focus on Arthur as the main protagonist?

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    In his afterword to the book, the author says about Book 2 that it will involve
    "Sister Iris with an army of killer children."
    (The first book was sold to Netflix very early in the writing process, and the book and show were written mostly simultaneously, although there are differences; once assumes that Book 2 and Season 2 will be similarly connected. The author is primarily a TV/movie writer; this was his first novel.)

11. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Interesting. So it's not likely to anywhere as disconnected as "The 100" and the book Series. Only the first season and first book were connected, then season 2 and book 2 were written side by side and went in two totally different directions. It makes me wonder how connected book 2 and season 2 will be here.

I really hope Nimue plays a part in it though, I really like her character.

12. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I finished it on Friday and really enjoyed this. Parts of the soundtrack was very reminiscent of GoT.

My favorite character was Pym. She was a hoot and not in enough scenes.

13. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Just finished season 1. Seems kind of like a poor man's Game of Thrones. I didn't really get attached to any of the characters. Pym is probably my favorite character in the show, but again the rest of the characters set a low bar.

Still interested enough to stay tuned for season 2.

14. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Yes, the soundtrack was very good. I would totally buy it on vinyl should it ever be released.

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I liked her and Squirrel.

16. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    This is on our list. We watched a trailer the other night. Quite a departure for the lead. The last (and only) thing I saw her in was "13 Reasons Why."

17. LoREvanescence

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    I quite surprised when I saw her in pop up in "Knives Out" recently.

But other than that I haven't seen her in anything else. According to IMDB, most of Katherine Langford's appearances have been in international productions.