Current HD channels after the new sats are activated

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by scooby_doo_53, Jul 18, 2007.

1. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    I think I know the answer to this, but am throwing it out to you all for confirmation.

A little background. I was having intermittent with the "SAT C, transponder 10" signal (This corresponded to HBO, Showtime, and HDNET movies High Def channels). Well, I called D* and they dispatched a service tech out (I have the protection plan). My wife was home when he arrived, and he replaced the cable on my SAT C LNB, as well as readjusted my dish.

He told my wife that my dish was old, and that I could probably get a new one for free (the current dish was originally a 2 LNB, and I added the third LNB myself).

So I called D* back and talked to the protection plan people. Knowing full well they would want to put up a 5 LNB dish, I played along with her spiel. The thing that concerned me, however, was that she told me that I needed 2 things for the new HD channels. First off, the current HR10-250 wouldn't be able to pick up the new channels (I knew this but played dumb). HOWEVER, she then told me that all of the current HD channels would be moving, and I wouldn't be able to pick up any of my current channels after they launched the new HD channels later this year. I politely told her I would keep what I have and call them back.

Now, from what I have read here, that appears to be false information. All of the current HD channels are staying MPEG2, at least for now, correct?

Thanks for all the info!

2. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    Yes they are. But indications form D* insiders and others it looks like if things go well them Maybe March of 2008 all HD will be MPEG-4.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Nobody really knows to be honest. Common sense leads most to believe MPEG2 HD channels will but shut down from mid next year to end of next year. I wouldn't expect them to be around past the end of 2008 for sure.

Not sure why you wouldn't take the free 5 LNB dish. It works fine with any and all receivers, including your HR10. And it would solve your 110 problem. If you are at all interested in the new HD coming you will need the 5 LNB dish anyway and of course an MPEG4 receiver (H20 or HR20).

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The only thing we don't know for sure... is the timeframe.
    But there is doubt, that all SAT-MPEG2-HD is going to be converted to MPEG-4 and moved to the 99/103 sats..

DirecTV themselves have stated that (hence the need for the replacement of all HD receivers)

5. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    Thanks for all the info. Actually, the installer said "I should get a free dish". The protection plan CSR never really told me that. She basically said I need to replace all of my Tivo's and get the new dish (and some new adapter filter that goes between the new DVR and the satellite connections).

I was hesitating mainly because I have a lot of recorded shows on both Tivo's - basically my wife has her shows on the upstairs unit, and the downstairs unit gets mine (It's funny - the Food Network comes in upstairs, but now downstairs, and sports shows come in great downstairs, but not the Food Network - <grin>).

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Earl is correct, I was referring to the timeframe. It is going to happen, when is the question.

As for the new DVR, you certainly don't have to give up any of your Tivo's for it. You can simply add the HR20 to your main TV and get the new 5 LNB as well as the new multiswitch you'll need. Then you'll be all set for the future and still have your Tivo's around as long as you want them.

7. davidjplatt

davidjplatt Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    On two separate calls (with supervisor's requested and spoken to) I was told that assuming the launch of the new satellite was successful and the satellite functioned as expected, that the current HD channels would be converted to MPEG-4 by the end of the year.

Four different people at DirecTV stated the same thing - the end of the year was then end of the road for MPEG-2 HD.

Only time will tell.

Based on my complaints of only a 2 year life on my second HD TiVo, they note my account as getting 2 HD DVRs at no charge, installation at no charge and a new dish at no charge. The statement was that the HR10-250s would still work for OTA HD and SD satellite after the MPEG-2 HDs go away.

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    hey what are my chances of letting them keep my current dish and 2 HDtivos just where they are and having them put in a totally new system for the HR20?

the reason I ask is that you cannot see 119 from my current position and they refused to install last time so i was forced to do a self install. So i'd assume they wouldnt want to use the same dish location in light of the fact that the same 119 of course will not be visible. I dont care about it even because all the new stuff is on the new birds right?

9. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Probably pretty good... so long as you explain that to the Rep when you are setting up the order.

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    eggslent! ;)

of course them crawling in my crawlspace to add more wires wont thrill them too much though. Real PITA to drill out those block walls. I guess they dont do drop and runs do they? Beyond dish install i'd do all the rest myself.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    If you want to run the wires yourself then run all the wires ahead of time and all the installer has to do is put up the dish. That should make him happy.

12. dmheitz

dmheitz New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    This means that the NFL Sunday Ticket would also be going to MPEG-4 for the 2008 Season. What about NBA League Pass, is the 07-08 season going to switch to MPEG-4? It seems like Directv would have to make their plans very clear before signing people up for these services.

I am curious if there will be offers of "free HR20 units" to keep those Superfan subscribers? There may not be a lot of us, but we do spend a lot.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    DirecTV already announced that MLB Extra Innings HD will be in MPEG 4 next year. You can pretty much count on every premium sports after that in MPEG4 only. As for this year, they really don't carry that many NBA or NHL games in HD anyway so no biggy to leave them in MPEG2. BUT...and here is the big but...all the RSNs will be going CONUS and in MPEG4 (they are already in MPEG4 but on spots) and since most of NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass are from the RSNs this mean that there will be a LOT of HD games available to both packages, but MPEG4 only. All they did in previous years is put a game up on channel 95 which is MPEG2 so they could continue to do that. But the full slate would be in MPEG4 by default and they don't even have to do anything "extra" and those still with just HR10's won't get anything less then they did in the past. Want the full monty then get an MPEG4 receiver. My prediction anyway and it will all happen unless they decide to do away with channel 95.