Curb Your Enthusiasm - S8 EP1 - The Divorce (7/10/2011)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Awesome!! This cast has not lost a thing!! I loved the expression on Funkhouser when Larry talked his (soon to be ex) wife into going to London with him.

Did Susie Essman get REALLY fat?

Love the whole Berg NOT being Jewish and all the clues that actually pointed to him being Jewish. And I knew Katz would wind up being a terrible lawyer.

Nice parallel on the real LA Dodgers divorce fiasco.

mmmmmm...Girl Scout cookies. My son pointed out that it's always funny when Larry argues with children!

And I'm not even going to talk about how to use a tampon!

2. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I was rooting for Katz. Especially when he stepped in on the restaurant manager. Only "in the movies" that happens!

Funkouser's face is more disturbing than Susie's weight gain. I almost didn't recognize Gary Cole.

3. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    I didn't see this, I don't have HBO, but was Katz played by Paul F Thompkins? I heard he was going to be on this season.

4. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes, you mean Berg, but yes he was-he was hee-larious as always! :D

The scene with Larry explaining how to use the tampon was so funny, I was laughing so hard-he was "inserting" it into his armpit-OMG-:D:p-then at the end when he had the tampon up his nose! :rolleyes:

At the end, with the girl scouts, I thought Larry might just tell them he no longer lived there so therefore he did not have to pay! :p
    ...or that he no longer had "interest" (like with the baseball tickets!);)

I wonder if Susie is really fat or has Jeff just lost so much weight that she looks fatter? I saw him on 20/20 and he has lost a LOT of weight!

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Loved it. I thought it Cheryl was back in the opening, before seeing it was detail on what finally sent her out the door. Still hope we get to see her often.

Berg not being Jewish was funny, especially with all the things besides his name that seemed to support the assumption. Shades of the Seinfeld episode The Chinese Woman where George's mother was only happy with the advice when she thought it was ancient Chinese wisdom from someone named Chang, not Changstein.

Larry was in a tough spot with Katz. He decided to go with Jew when he probably should have gone with bald. I don't know if buffet negotiation skills are the thing to judge a lawyer on either. The kiss of death on that deal though was when he decided to ignore the feud with Gary Cole's character to warn him about the Berg issue. Anytime he tries to be a nice guy he gets in bigger trouble than when he's being a jerk.

6. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    The tampon bit had me laughing. I about died when the girl said she just had her first period. Also made me realize that I wouldn't know how to put a tampon in either.

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My daughter just turned twelve and it made me think that that day will be coming soon for me. I hope my wife is home when it happens, because I too will have no clue.

That bit reminded me of when he got the device in the plastic packaging....one of the funniest bits I ever saw on TV. The local station here that carries CYE uses it for it's commercials (BTW, for some reason, this show works well on broadcast TV without the language).

8. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I cringed when I saw that Cheryl was in the episode. I really hate her lack of improv skills.
    Thankfully she seemed to have most of the lines written for her, so she was bearable.

9. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought the whole tampon sequence was painfully unfunny.

I was cringing, but not in a good way. :eek: It definitely seemed like something a man would come up with, because it made no sense.

The rest of the episode was funny though. I liked Berg the Swede.

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    The tampon sequence is probably much funnier to guys. Most of us, like Larry, have no idea how they work.

11. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    What part of it made no sense? Was it mainly the girl acted in a way you wouldn't expect any girl to act?

Like what girl would announce to some strange guy that she just had her period? Would a girl even know just standing there that she had her first period? Would a girl have such a hard time figuring out how to use a tampon?

I think it is pretty much how the show works. If Larry did things that made sense, the show wouldn't be half as funny as it is. :)

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have to assume, that he runs this type of thing through his team, and I'm sure Cheryl and Susie probably would tell him if it's plausible or not.

The thing that bothered me about it, is I think if a young girl WAS having her first period, she'd be a bit scared or nervous about it. The girl seemed WAY too calm. Maybe it was just bad acting.

But still, funny!!

13. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    All of the above. It was just bizarre.

No girl would stand in front of a strange man and say "I just got my period." (She would not know. Nor would she discuss it with a stranger, let alone an old man.) And a man giving an adult tampon to a child and trying to instruct her was just creepy. :eek: I know a lot of people found it funny, but I didn't at all because the setup was so awkward and forced.

I agree that a lot of the situations Larry finds himself in are bizarre but most of the time, they have some connection to reality, however slight. In ice cream shops, sometimes people ask for a lot of samples. In doctor's offices, they do ask you to sign your name. Etc.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought the tampon scene was hilarious. So awkward and cringeworthy and that made it awesome.

I'm still a little confused on how Larry's new lawyer negotiated away his house without Larry ever seeing the documents or approving the deal, but I guess they just overlooked those details in order to enhance the comedy.

15. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    of course you don't. why would you? :)

nice to have the CYE gang back.

16. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    It's just that I never really thought about it. I knew they put something up there and a string hung out. Seems like a simple thing. Watching Larry mess around with it made me realize there was more going on there than I would have imagined.

:)

17. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I thought the best scene is when Jeff mentioned a "what-if" scenerio to his wife about a divorce saying she could have half and it would be nice and calm. Then she goes off saying she'd cut off his you know what and destroy him.

"Everyone needs a +1 Larry"
    -Leon

18. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Active Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    Oh, no! I hope it doesn't come out that the woman who cut off her husband's you know what this week was inspired by CYE.

19. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Oh, hello General Petreaus. Thank you for your service.