cTivo and watch shows on Tivo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Chas_M, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Chas_M

Chas_M Member

Jul 25, 2005
    North East...
    I have just installed cTivo Version 2.1 (439) on my iMac running OS X 10.10.3. Everything seems to work except for the ability to watch shows that were previously recorded by cTivo from the Roamio. Under the Roamio devices, the Mac computer and cTivo are not shown. It was my understanding that the cTivo recorded shows should show up in the Devices section of My Shows with a cTivo icon.

Previously, I was using Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 as an application under Parallels to provide the Windows Virtual machine. Should I totally remove Tivo Desktop to ensure the ability to watch shows recorded by cTivo? Prior to installing cTivo, I was able to see the shows recorded by Tivo Desktop. However, this feature also seems to have disappeared.

What do I have to do to make this work?

Charles

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can partially uninstall DT/P and you computer will recognize .Tivo files. I think cTivo is out of date and recommend you use PyTivo. If there is a server active, your Tivos should list your computer near the bottom of your shows list (not separate as computer and cTivo.)

3. Chas_M

Chas_M Member

Jul 25, 2005
    North East...
    Thank you. I'll check for a software update. I was somewhat intimidated by pyTivo due to the number of SW piece parts required vs. the single application of cTivo.

4. Chas_M

Chas_M Member

Jul 25, 2005
    North East...
    I have installed cTivo on my iMac and everything seems to be working except for the ability to see shows on the Tivo.

Does cTivo have the ability to allow the Tivo Roamio GUI to access the shows that have been uploaded to the computer by cTivo. In other words perform like Tivo Desktop?

It appears that I have the latest SW version of CTivo, however a new version has just been posted but the update link is broken.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No. Like KMTTG, it's for extraction (TiVo -> computer) only.

6. Chas_M

Chas_M Member

Jul 25, 2005
    North East...
    Thank you. I'll use it to add shows to iTunes library and then use Apple TV to watch the shows recored by ctivo.

I am now running cTivo 2.4 beta. Its seems to be very stable/

7. elmeng

elmeng Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Does cTivo write .edl files? If it did maybe one would import to the kmttg skip table and you could watch the skip videos on TiVo using kmttg.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Do you mean to produce a TiVo file after removing the commercials and then uploading to a TiVo device with TiVo Desktop or PyTiVo?

If it was me, I'd just leave them on a DNLA server after removing the commercials. There's far less benefit from trick-play after the commercials are gone. And there are better backup options as well.

9. elmeng

elmeng Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I mean using cTivo to find the commercial breaks and create an edl file which could be uses to import skip information into the kmttg AutoSkip table. I would then use the kmttg AutoSkip service and watch the recorded Tivo program under myshows on the Tivo. There's no upload of files to the TiVo involved, just the skip information.

I was hoping the programer of cTivo could add a creation of a edl file to their options or if it's already available.

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why not just use KMTTG alone?

11. elmeng

elmeng Member

Mar 7, 2009
    ComSkip does work on macOS Catalina. But on cTiVO under the advanced preference you can create an edl file by selecting verbose and that works with kmttg import skip.
    BTW You also have to select "Don't delete temp Files (for debug only)" options.

If anyone knows how to get the edl file only, please tell.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020