CSI: S08E01 "Dead Doll" 27 Sept 2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

Wow!

I honestly had no idea whether or not Sara was going to survive. I had heard that Jorja Fox had a tough contract negotiation and I hadn't heard one way or another if she had been resigned.

I thought she did a really great job at showing Sara's strength and determination...and just about all of it was in scenes where she was by herself---which can make it difficult to properly show emotions...

Of course, she could still be off the show (deciding to resign), but I don't think so.

2. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I'm thinking she's not off the show. This was an excellent episode!! They kept us guess right up to the end!

3. zync

zync Long live TiVo

Feb 21, 2003
    Ugh - great except for one itsy bitsy tiny detail.

Night before - rain, mud. Next day... bone dry? Um. Ok.

4. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    It's the desert.

5. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH

Advertisements

Here's what I don't understand... So Grissom and Catherine are following Sara's trail. She's left a trail of breadcrumbs (ok, stacked rocks) and they have a general idea which direction she was heading. First of all, why don't they immediately call every available person to come help them follow the trail? Why weren't they searching a little harder for the next stack of rocks? And most importantly, when they find the dead guy, why do they stop everything? They take the time to dig him out, clean up his body somewhat, figure out who he is - there are more officers there helping out with that. WTH? It was hard to get a feel for the time frame, but surely Sara was on that trail earlier that same day. The other guy is already dead. Deal with him later. Who just stops looking?

If the writers didn't want them to continue searching for her on that trail, they shouldn't have had her leaving the rocks behind.

I can deal somewhat with stuff like enhancing a still frame from a traffic camera so that they can read the serial number from a car's dashboard, but making the team turn careless like this it just not necessary.

6. Werd2406

Werd2406 New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah my money was on Sara bitting the dust. I actually found my self rooting that she lives though....twice she asked for more money and twice she almost got knocked off the show....moral of the story, dont piss off the producers.

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I bet that once they found the dead guy, they thought that it was him who stacked the rocks.

That's the problem---they thought they were following Sara's trail, but they had no way to know for sure.

8. splendid

splendid All day everyday :)

Sep 1, 2005
    Wantage...
    I loved it!

I almost panicked last night when I thought it wasn't recorded.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    When I lived in the desert (granted, California, not Nevada), it took days after a rain like that for dust to start kicking up again...

I figured they just couldn't afford to water down several square miles of desert for the long shots.

10. angbear1985

angbear1985 Τι ποτέ !

Aug 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Loved the show !!! Was on the edge of my chair ... wondering - if she'd live or not ! Hubby went to bed - didn't watch it. Doesn't want to know, until he watches it. I'm having a hard time keeping this a secret !

11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It was just an OK episode for me. Yes I did find it interesting finding out how everything happened, but there just wasn't very much CSI-ing going on here. It was a pretty cut-and-dried episode.

The most intriguing part was that she's actually alive because all the news sites had their money on death ;)

12. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    I guess I found her resilence and fortitude to be SO out of character! She's always struck me as such a weak person...

Like others, I figured there would be at least a bit of water around the next day.

As to contract negotiations, I know both she and Nick were involved in them two season ago. I'm thinking rather than more money they were negotiating for juicier plots featuring them. Hence, Nick's "buried alive" show and now this for Sara.

Cheryl

13. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
  14. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I thought it was funny that Grissom was using binoculars when he spotted the rocks ... then he and Catherine run over to them ... about 50 feet away. :D

15. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I thought maybe he saw some Tusken Raiders the way he reacted!

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And more, that instead of running over there, he hands the binoculars to Catherine!

17. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Yea, the wife and I chuckled at that too.

18. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Ok, I realize we have to sorta suspend disbelief for these CSI shows, but I have to say, this one seemed a bit over the top in how many things were just completely wrong.

1) We end up with a large pile of dirt half burying the car because of the rain, yet it doesn't start piling up till after she leaves?
    2) She heads off in the rain, yet we still get footprints that look like they were left in dry dirt?
    3) When doing it's search, the helicopter Greg was flying in often seemed to be about 10 feet off the ground.
    4) She goes wandering off into the desert rather than sticking near the car. Desert survival rules specifically say don't do that. The car is much easier to spot from the air than a person is, and in that location the most she should have done was move into an area of shade, of which it seemed there was plenty in the area. Personally I think they should have killed her off if they're going to make her do braindead things like this.
    5) When the find the car, the distant shots of it sure didn't look like an area that water would build up in. It actually looked like pretty good drainage there, and wasn't confined enough that you'd get buildup like you do in canyons.
    6) Oh yeah, there just happens to be some hiker's body right in the same area that this car is at?

I guess I just found this episode somewhat frustrating. It was kinda like common sense was thrown out the window.

19. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I wouldn't even say 50 feet...I'd say it was more like 10. I noticed that and immediately cracked up.

Also another thing, shouldn't you stay in one place i you're lost? Seems like if she would've just stayed in the car she would've been okay. Yeah, I know the show would've ended sooner, but why walk through the whole desert? Staying with the car seems like you would have a much better chance of being spotted.

20. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I liked it.

What I didn't get was how did the killer put the car on top of her. You see it getting lowered onto Sara's arm, then the camera pulls back and there is no tow truck there, not even a dirt road.