CSI: Las Vegas - Casting News

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 #1 of 23
    Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
  2. Jun 8, 2011 #2 of 23
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've been really close to dropping it since he came on board, this may get me to watch a bit more, or accelerate the path to leaving.

3. Jun 8, 2011 #3 of 23
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I guess that means, and I am just speculating...

Ray will be going to jail for killing Nate Haskill.

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 23
    IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Probably and that's just fine with me. I understand why they did it but it never seemed reasonable that someone from outside would pop in and suddenly be the lead field CSI. They played like he was the newbie but the scripts all treated him like the grizzled veteran.

I'm fine with just letting the rest of the cast get some air time.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 23
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I liked his character at the beginning but not as much lately. And they did make him a newbie that first season, but yeah lately he seems more senior, but I guess he's been there a while... maybe he got a promotion. :)

The whole storyline with the serial killer was just kinda boring. In fact, I still have the last 3 episodes of the season sitting on my Tivo because the descriptions say that it's about those two and... meh. :)

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 23
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Having an actor who's a lead playing a character who's not is a very tricky writing challenge. They seem to have given up early on, and just pretended most of the time that Ray was in charge (with the occasion, somewhat jarring, reminder that he wasn't).

Having a second-banana character the show's lead could have been an interesting way to explore different aspects of the show's world. But I guess when you have a ten-year-old hit show, you don't want to shake up the formula...which makes one wonder why they created the Ray character in the first place, but whatever.

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 23
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Didn't read any posts, just wanted to thank the OP for not spoiling the news in the thread title. This is how casting news should be posted.:up:

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 23
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    That's what was so weird about the transition from Grissom to Langston--Laurence Fishburne is a big name actor and he was billed more or less as William Perterson's replacement, but yet the character was conceived as a "level 1" CSI (or whatver they call, I don't really watch). I only watched during this time period because I wanted to see how they handled the transition. The few episodes I watched with Ray definitely felt forced, like they were trying to convince us he was entry level but it wasn't working. I think it's just audience perception though. It's hard to envision an actor in a "lead role" yet the character is low on the food chain. It's weird.

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 23
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Well, count me as someone who liked him. Oh well. I've watched every episode thus far, and I'll continue to watch for the foreseeable future.

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Which is why it made no sense for the story. Go ahead bring in the character but give him a back story that makes sense given the prominence the role was going to have.

11. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    I liked him too.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe. but
    I don't think a jury would convict him. More likely he either quits or is fired as part of the internal investigation. Quits and tries to get his ex wife back.

13. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    You might want to put your thing in a spoiler block, lew.

I was avoiding the first spoiler block since I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet, but I guess now I know what happens.

14. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I hit quote instead of hide. I changed my post. I think any casting news is inevitably going to spoil. Even without seeing the last 2 episodes you know it's not going to end well. I'm not sure how you could read this thread and not assume you might get spoiled.

Just me but I'd assume discussion as to a casting change would include a discussion as to why the character is leaving (or being added to) the series.

15. jerrymc

jerrymc TiVo Tinker

Sep 17, 2001
    Antioch, CA, US
    I never really got into the Ray Langston character. It didn't fit the series well, at least as written. And the whole Nate Haskell thing went on about two episodes too long.

CSI Vegas is getting long in the tooth. They need to hang it up and leave CSI:NY and Gary Sinise to carry the franchise.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    CSI ended the season in 14th place. CSI:NY wasn't in the top 20 and was considered a bubble show.

17. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    Never watched the show when it started, started watching it on Spike in the afternoon. Set up a season pass for new episodes. Like the characters, maybe they should bring Gil back, he was still in the credits as executive producer not too long ago (haven't looked lately). I think the Grissom character was a good leader. There was speculation that Marg Helgenberger was leaving, when she was a guest on Craig Ferguson he asked but she never gave an answer.

I did cancel my season pass for Miami, I just can't take it anymore. Vegas is just so much better, Miami is so serious but Vegas at least has some humor mixed in.

18. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    They should concentrate on CSI:Miami.

/puts on sunglasses YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

At least the scenery is the best!

On a more serious note, I think they explained why Langston was treated as a senior guy, since he was an MD and a very renowned teacher in the field. So while he did not have the practical experience, he did have the very extensive background.

Having said that, I will not be too sorry to see him leave. I did not like where they took his story.

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Loved Petersen but 'Ray' was a well acted character though poorly backgrounded as others commented. I'll miss Fishburne. Add me to the list of Gary Sinese fans too.

20. jerrymc

jerrymc TiVo Tinker

Sep 17, 2001
    Antioch, CA, US
    I never pay attention to ratings, which, I guess, is why I'm always surprised when shows I like get cancelled. IMO, CSI: Miami is just eye candy. CSI: Vegas has its occasional brilliant show (generally revolving around a non-Langston character) sprinkled sparsely amongst the obsession with the Haskell/Langston storyline. CSI: NY has more of the original CSI franchise flavor for me, and most definitely better acting.