CSI: Cyber S1.E1 Kidnapping 2.0

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Big Deficit, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1 of 95
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    Well, I was expecting a big bag of suck and it certainly delivers. I think it may be a dumber tech show than Scorpion? I understand the mass market aspect, but can't we have a little cleverness? Maybe not have the "security cable" in a box mounted to the porch railing????

No SP 4 U!:D

2. Mar 5, 2015 #2 of 95
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    And they instantly assume that these people who use a high-tech system to track kids, etc can't remember a 20-character password without taking off their shirts and looking at a mirror?

I use several 20+ character passwords on a regular basis...

3. Mar 5, 2015 #3 of 95
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Tuesday night's episode of Forever on ABC featured a whole episode using a Cyber Crimes unit. It almost felt like they were making a case for how important the Cyber Crimes unit was. I thought it was referring to the new CSI, but then realized they were on a different network. Weird to have that episode air the day before the CSI: Cyber show premieres.

4. Mar 5, 2015 #4 of 95
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I've been thinking the only thing I liked in Cyber was the neighbor kid saying, "Mom", a cliché, but kind of fun, his look, the way he said it.

The rest was pretty standard. It could be good, there are plenty of current stories for material.

5. Mar 5, 2015 #5 of 95
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I was so disappointed in this show. Too many things that they want you to believe in that are impossible. Like how they drove from Patterson, NJ to upper New York state in minutes and not hours. I don't see this lasting very long.

6. Mar 5, 2015 #6 of 95
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    One and done for me. I didn't like it. Just too ridiculous. No way I'll be able to watch this on an ongoing basis without picking apart all the stupid stuff. I kinda like the cast, seems like decent chemistry, but poorly written plots will lose me every time.

The scene where the bad guys drove away, and had a two hour head start on them:

"Ok, eliminate left turns, they won't want to get in any accidents"
    "Look for higher ground, instinct says head up when you're being chased"
    "stay off highways"
    "Look, they must be in this cabin at the end of this road!"

And they drive there and find 'em. Really? Metropolitan DC/Baltimore area, 2 hour head start, and you just say "here they are".

I'll never be able to sit still for stuff like this. "No left turns" was my camel's straw.

7. Mar 5, 2015 #7 of 95
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Uh...did they "teleport" VR images of dead bodies from a New Jersey morgue? :confused:

This was absolutely dreadful. Can't believe the same Patricia Arquette who just won a damn Oscar would settle for this garbage. And talk about your Hollywood cliche cyber crime unit: fat bearded man, hacker forced to reform, hipster Millennial woman with an eclectic wardrobe.

And why, oh WHY, must all things cyber crime be filmed using dark lighting, awkward close-ups and strange angles (accompanied, obviously, by the scene-to-scene "choppy cut" transitions with computers trilling)?

8. Mar 5, 2015 #8 of 95
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was very happy with this show.

There's just too damned much on these days.

9. Mar 5, 2015 #9 of 95
  10. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  11. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    Once was more than enough for me. Ugh. Ugh. I won't even complain about the lack of understanding of tech as I can overlook that for a good whodunnit. Which this was not.

Patricia Arquette was just absolutely horrible - cannot act. No charm, nothing. James Van Der ....whatever.....he's too quirky for be serious and I think they want it to be serious. He's good in a comedy or a wink/nod show. Not this one.

Casting was very strange. They apparently think just the CSI name is all they need.

Not for me.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She CAN act. She CAN be brilliant.

For whatever reason, she often doesn't.

(I suspect it's a matter of limited range, and either not knowing her limits or trying too hard to surpass them.)

13. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I disagree with you guys.

It wasn't as good as you claim.

14. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    LOL. :)

Rob, I will take your word for it. But, I stand by my statement in that she can't act in THIS. :)

But the writing is so bad that maybe nobody could.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That was great! Long but worth it. So many quotes worth snipping...

"This makes Swordfish look like a documentary"

"She just said sit-stay to Bow Wow" [did not catch that!]

"if The Wire cops had had these toys, that show would’ve been over in two episodes "

16. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Gave up on this after the first commercial break. Horrible acting, hackneyed "cyberification" - just unbearable.

Did they do the typical solve a password by going character by character ridiculousness?

Intelligence was a better cyber csi show than this was, and it lasted only 13 episodes.

17. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    passwordddddddddddddd

is not a very good password

neither is
    password1234567891011

18. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Don't know what was worse - the writing, the casting or the acting. It was just awful.

19. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Of course not!

:eek::eek::eek:

20. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003