Cruel Joke- "Special" HD offer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by audio, Aug 17, 2007.

1. audio

audio New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    Just got my TiVo credit card statement and inside was a flyer for TiVo HD.

The flyer states "Special Tivo offer for Barclays cardmembers" and includes a "special" website. The website is w3dotTiVodotcomslashbarclays. (Sorry for the spelling, tivocommunity won't let me post a URL).

I log onto website and, lo and behold, I can get a TiVo HD box for $299.99 and a free year of service when I purchase a two year subscription!!!

Thanks a lot TiVo. Not only can I not buy a TiVo HD with reward options, you send me a TiVo HD teaser that links to a deal that's AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE.

It's almost insulting enough to cancel my two TiVo subscriptions, cancel my TiVo credit card and get a DVR from the cable company or DirecTV.

That's great that you want to offer a special to TiVo cardmembers but please, don't try to sell me a "special"offer when everyone can get this offer.

2. audio

audio New Member

Feb 11, 2006
  3. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I think it's called advertising. :D

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It is advertised as a "special" offer for Barclay's customers. Nothing special about it.

I'd complain to Barclay, not Tivo.

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    The TiVo credit card is handled by Juniper Bank, not Barclay's. Obviously Barclay's paid for the flyer and paid TiVo to include it in their statement. In this case, TiVo would have no control over the content.

6. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    :confused: Did you forget a wink smiley? If not, I have a few questions.

Why would Barclay's pay TiVo to advertise TiVos? How is it that TiVo accepted such payment, yet has no control over the flyer advertising their product? Doesn't TiVo still have trademarks, copyrights, or something? How did Barclay's hack into TiVo.com and create the page http://www.tivo.com/barclays?

Pedestrian Offer!

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Special ≠ Exclusive
    I find the vast majority of advertising to be insulting to my intelligence.

8. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Barclays or whichever bank sen tthe offer is hoping/banking on the cardholder not paying the balance in full and collecting interest.

Plus, I'm sure they struck some sort of advertising deal with Tivo and will get a commission for evert customer that signs up (same reason my many cell phone dealers offer free phones).

Yes, most if not all advertising is insulting even to a caveman (pun intended). Toss the offer, and move on.

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yes, however:

Special = Not available to everyone, every day, everywhere

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Barclay's took over Juniper and now handles Tivo credit cards.
    and not very well in my opinion.

This happened earlier this year.

Diane

11. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    “Everyone’s special, Dash.”

“That’s just another way of saying nobody is.”

12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I've probably seen offers like these for hundreds of products and services in my lifetime. I don't think I've ever been "so insulted" as to want to throw the product away. It's advertising. Don't take everything so personally.

You're special. Just like everyone else.

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    not necessarily.
    tivo.com calls it "special" and makes it available to everyone, every day, everywhere.
    https://www3.tivo.com/store/plans.do

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I guess that Tivo considers all of us as special.

15. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Typically ads are paid by the company that has the product for sale, not the company that delivers the advertisement :)

16. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I hate these kinds of "special offers" too. I've seen them on a lot more products than TiVo though.

You'd think in this case they could at least do SOMETHING special, like throw in some free Unbox movies, reduce the price by $10, give you a reduced price incl 1 year sub on a second machine, or something...