Crossbones - The Devil's Dominion - OAD 5/30/14

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, May 30, 2014.

1. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

Advertisements

It has a decent cast and there is nothing else I watch on Friday nights. I'm in for now.

2. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Is that the show advertising Blackbeard and then showing an old man without a black beard? Thought that really dumb. In school I read people could see his black beard at great distances and it might even have figured in his name, but guess the producers never read about him at all. At least if I have the right show, it sure sounds like it will be very un-authentic to say the least.

3. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You do realize that sometimes, even pirates get old?

They showed all the stereotypical drawings of Blackbeard with his flying dreadlocked beard in the show, so they're well aware of what they're doing, whatever it is.

5. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013

Advertisements

Actually, no, what I recall is that he was killed before he got that old. But I don't claim to be an expert. I do wonder why waste a show about him being old instead of an exciting young pirate? If you took other pirate movies and replaced Johnny Depp with an old man do you think they would have done as well?

6. squint

squint Member

Jun 15, 2008
    It almost seems like they casted first and then changed the story to suit.

7. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Just watched trailer, expecting to see flashes of the young pirate you mention, but saw only old guy with a white beard. If the story is of the end days of him it sure writes them into a corner for the series to continue, doesn't it? Would make a better mini-drama with 3 or 4 parts I'd think than a series.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Jeez, dude, if the concept of a pirate show that's not a clone of every other pirate show ever made offends you, just don't watch it!

9. squint

squint Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I woke up in the middle of the night and watched about 25 minutes of it before deciding to go back to sleep. I don't think it's very good but the only other thing I have to watch is a backlog of winter Olympics.

10. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

They reveal in the show that he was not actually killed as rumored.

I actually prefer that they have him older. But then, I've always been a big fan of shows with older main characters -- Matlock, Ironside (original), Kojak, Marcus Welby, Murder She Wrote, Miss Marple, Diagnosis Murder.... It is about time, IMO.

Edit: just remembered that no spoiler is needed in an episode thread. Removed.

11. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I like this genre, but fight scenes (in any genre) just make my eyes glaze over - too long.

I'll give this a try and FF thru those scenes.

12. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I saw a bit of this last night. IMO they should have considered hiring Blackbeard from Black Sails. :D

13. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    :eek:

14. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Or the Black Swan staff, now that would make a rating to remember. My problem with old guy stories is we viewers are usually already old guys and we know all about that, we want to live some exciting young experiences we missed ( or in this case were too late in history for). We can pass on rest home stories and the fight for jello at meals.

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was pretty good. I'm willing to fanwank a presumed dead Blackbeard being a live old dude with a white beard. It's not like this is a documentary.

16. I_am_not_randy

I_am_not_randy Member

Oct 29, 2010
    All I could think about the whole show was the "giggle loop" and the "man with two legs". And I really found it hard to picture Jeff in that kind of role .....

17. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I watched it over the weekend and my first impression was that it's a blatant ripoff of Black Sails without the gratuitus nudity and language. I'll probably keep watching it just because John Malkovich plays Blackbeard.

18. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Wow, I got to check out that Black Sails right away, never had heard of that. Sounds like a wonderful program for me, thanks. When I first saw this one I thought it was the old Star Trek captain Picard at first, maybe he got lost in a time warp or something. You know that might have been a better plot idea than a Blackbeard with a white beard coming back from the dead.

19. squint

squint Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Not only that but he also got a lot lighter and shorter.

20. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas

I thought the same immediately which piqued my interest since I don't get Showtime.

The British actress wielding the sword reminded me a little of the"badassery" of the Michonne character so that helped with my TWD jonesing.
    [​IMG]