Criminal Minds cutting cast members

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 15, 2010.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

From NYMag

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/06/industry_roundup_40.html

Bad news as far as I'm concerned. About the only police procedural I watch is CM, and it's because of the characters. They have a unique blend that makes CM very different than the CSI/L&O/NCIS of the rest of TVdom. I'm not sure how an episode of just Hotch, Rossi, Morgan & Dr. Reid will play, without Emily & JJ.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Not good if they cut Emily. There really is some female input needed. This is a shame. I watch this show weekly (and often on reruns).

3. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah this is bad. AJ Cook's character is dispensible, but I would rather that the cooky computer lady Penelope Garcia get cut back episodes over Prentis.

PS Mancy green worse spam ever!

Edit: Thinking about it, to me it would have made the most sense to have ALL the charaters drop off an episode or three and keep everyone intact. With the number of members they had, missing one in a given week would make little difference... but overall would keep the show feeling more complete.

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Maybe AJ Cook's character will end up with the spin-off that was just picked up.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The spin-off that was so bad they decided to make it a spring fill-in show? The spin-off that was so bad it couldn't make the fall schedule? The spin-off that was so bad that after I watched the cross-over episode I decided I would never waste my time setting up an SP for it?

I think the problem is, and I'm seeing more and more of this, as a show ages, the stars all get more money. So either the show needs to be really good, so they can pay all that moolah (see: 2.5 Men) or actors will get cut, or the show will get cut. As I understand it, for example, Numb3rs was a decent rated show, more than capable of being renewed, but since it was entering its seventh season, the actors made too much money, so they whacked it.

So here you have an excellent show, often top 10 rated, and to squeeze a little more money, they start cutting actors. And eventually the ratings will drop, and CM will not be renewed. And they (the producers, studios, networks) will make -zero- money from it.

I really don't understand the TV business. :confused:

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Hasnt been as good since Mandy Patinkin left anyway. And without AJ Cook, I don't get any eye candy.

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I have not seen any evidence that the decision to have the new Criminal Minds spin-off premiere in mid-season was in any way related to a perceived lack of quality.

There are many, many reasons why a show might be chosen to premiere in mid-season...

8. MasterCephus

MasterCephus New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Hueytown,...
    It's the nature of the beast with any job. The longer you are working at one place, the more valuable you feel, thus you feel you deserve more money. Add to that the high amount of money actors get paid anyways, and it always kills a show. See Stargate...

9. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I thought this show was doing fairly well ratings wise and it's got reruns showing on both A&E and Ion television, so I don't think they are hurting for money.
    My guess is that there are some actors demaning more money and the studio has decided to play hard ball with them.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm confused: First you talk about a show being good and then you mention Two and a Half Men. What's the connection?

Seriously, though---I think you mean "popular", not "good"...

11. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Yeah. Sounds like what happened with CSI that caused a major character changeup. But I think the geek girl penelope would be hardly missed.

As long as REID is on the show I am happy.

12. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Indeed. Its nice to have a character on a crime show that isn't like every other character on a crime show.

13. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Yeah. I always love the young genius character. (Manhattan project, War Games) And I love his social akwardness that comes along with it. Good stuff.

14. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    They should keep Reid and the 2 hot chicks, ditch anyone else they choose.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sounds like something different this time...apparently, the show just isn't successful enough to sustain its budget, so it was either kill the show or cut costs pretty dramatically. They went with cutting costs.

16. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    That is surprising since the rerun the show on ION and a few other stations almost marathon like.

17. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    I agree, she's annoying, and with all of the fake computer "hacking" stuff even more annoying to real computer nerds like me.

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    There is a petition to keep the female cast members and on the Happy Hour there is a thread about twittering that has a couple of the cast members tweets on there. It was interesting to read them.

19. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    A petition. Yes, that will certainly work.

20. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    I watching something on CBS the other day and they had a commercial for the upcoming fall schedule and with quick shots of the shows and the showed Paget Brewster (and only her) for Criminal Minds.