Criminal Minds 3/16/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Azlen, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ

Advertisements

I knew that Paget Brewster signed onto a pilot for next year but they said her fate in Criminal Minds would be left as a cliff hanger. Doesn't look that way. Even though her death was faked, it doesn't look like there is any way she could return to the show on a regular basis.

2. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I wish they'd get back to psychological profiling. There's too much "chase the bad guy" and not enough "figure him out"

Oh and hello AJ Cook.

3. Bulldog7

Bulldog7 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    Agreed to both, esp. AJ.:rolleyes:

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oh, I'd say just the opposite (after all, they brought Don Johnson back to Miami Vice after he turned into a mob hit-man and murdered a cop!).

When they didn't show her body, I didn't KNOW she was alive, but I knew she could be. I was surprised that they brought her back at the end; before that I figured they were just leaving an opening in case they ever did want to bring her back, but now I'd say the odds just went way up.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

Originally Paget was only supposed to be in a handful of episodes this year. They had to let her out of her contract since they weren't planning on using her the for the entire season. That gave her the opportunity to shoot a pilot and leaves her available to do a new show next season.

The producers changed their mind (public opinion?). She was in every episode so far this season. According to reports she declined the opportunity to return to full time status this year and elected to shoot the pilot.

Showing her alive at the end makes it very easy to bring her back. Not showing her alive would cause some viewers to think Criminal Minds was pulling a rabbit out of the hat if they brought her back.

Do we want her pilot to work so we can see her in a new series or do we want it to fail so she comes back to Criminal Minds?

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I vote for the pilot. CM has gone downhill this year. I'm a big fan, but the show no longer has the same draw it used to. I miss AJ, I don't particularly like the new blonde, I don't think they are using Penelope well, there is too much chase, not enough think (thx jesda!), they're not using Reid like they used to/should, yada yada.

Bottom line: It just doesn't feel the same. And I'm pissed that they tried a spinoff that sucks the big one (I know, not really related, but it's left a sour taste in my mouth for the entire CM "empire").

I like Paget, and would love to see her try something new. I think CM will last another year or two, then die. So let's hope Paget's pilot DOES get picked up, and we can continue to see her on a weekly basis. And then let's hope it's a decent show.

7. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    SVU did this with Alex Cabot. Killed her and resurrected her.

8. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I thought this was the last season for CM? Thats why they started the new CM, even though the star needs to be changed for someone that can act.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The new CM is just a spinoff, not a replacement.

10. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Alex Cabot - wasn't she the skinny, annoying, arrogant blond? Oh wait - that was ALL of them :)

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Yeah, that was her with the glasses, played by Stephanie March

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, I know. It just seems to me that most of the SVU assigned prosecutors came out of precisely the same mold. All skinny, annoying, arrogant blonds. I truly didn't care for any of them.

Sorry to go off topic.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    naw.. there were some brunettes in the mix ;-)

14. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I thought it was a decent send off. Criminal Minds is the only procedural I watch, partly because I love the cast together and partly because the characters are actually part of the story and not just mouthpieces. I had saved up the last five CM's so the whole Prentiss storyline unfolded very quickly for me (watched them all in the last couple weeks). I thought they did a good job arching it out over a lot of episodes instead of just randomly pulling a JJ.

Speaking of which, I know the episode is only like 42 minutes and you have to fit a lot into it, but JJ contributed almost nothing to the case. I mean she used her connections to get that one file "unredacted" (whatever the word for that is), but that was about it. Although I guess it was more about having the cast together for one last ride. As soon as she said Prentiss died I was like "wow I didn't think they'd kill her" but a second later I said "duh, she's faking her own death and JJ is helping her". Boom.

I get that after six seasons a show has to mix things up creatively but I think they were stupid to screw with the cast so much. Losing JJ was bad enough, but I like the new girl and I get that it gives them more creative room because it's the first time they're training someone right out of the academy. Plus she has a unique background. But to lose Prentiss too sucks. I think the storyline would have worked perfectly as the last five episodes of the season, leading to a Prentiss cliffhanger finale. Elle had one, I think Gideon had one, Hotch had one, and Morgan had one.

Oh well. The new spin off is atrocious. I almost can't believe it came from the same creative team. I absolutely can't stand Forrest Whitaker though--I will never understand why people think he's a good actor, and I definitely don't understand making him the lead on a series. But even the rest of the cast sucks. Maybe its' not the actors but the whole feeling of the team is nothing like the original.

Actually the more I think about it the more annoyed I am that they f'ed it up so bad. You don't mess with a working formula damn it...

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    They didn't do it to change things up creatively. They did it as a cost cutting move. That's why they got rid of AJ/JJ. Removing Prentiss was also a cost cutting move. I believe that they found some more money, though, and decided to keep Prentiss on. However, they had already put the pilot option into her contract, so she decided to take that option instead of staying for all episodes. IIRC she has the option to return next year, or take the out if the pilot gets picked up.

16. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I haven't even tried to watch the spinoff because of the Forrest Whitaker factor. I'm glad I didn't waste my time...

17. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I though public reaction caused them to rethink getting rid of Prentice.

18. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I wish Mandy Patinkin would come back.

19. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I think this was the worst single episode of a well-written, well produced show that I enjoy in recent memory.

I thought the whole show as a ridiculous trainwreck. I was beside myself with how ridiculous and absurd it was and how out of touch it was with every single other episode in the entire history of the show.

I was literally upset by how bad it was, then Paget's character died and I felt a little bad, because she did a good job on the show, but then when she wasn't dead again I was more pissed off and annoyed at the show than ever.

I was not keen on the whole Prentiss story line that materialized out of thin air to begin with... but this episode was just so ridiculously off-base... I don't know what to say about it.

It is like the series has had some 9 and 10 level episodes a bunch of 6, 7 and 8s, a couple 5s and this was like a 1.5. It was that out of whack.