Creating an MP3 off of a .tivo file?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by notabbott, Aug 24, 2008.

1. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

How would I best go about pulling audio off of a .tivo file? I have hunches on a couple of ways I might try, based on a couple of threads and just random ideas about it:

• use DSD or tivodecode to convert to a "normal" video file, then see if I can transcode it to audio, maybe by inserting it into a SONAR project as video and reducing it to just audio
    • just trying to capture my audio output digitally before it converts to analog, but I don't know that I have any good tools for that.)

Anyway, are there any best practices for this? Any (free) software anyone might recommend? As mentioned above, I've got SONAR, and a Mackie ONYX mixer that might be able to do neat tricks, but I'll save the audio capture question for the hardware for the Mackie forums, unless anyone has a software solution for that.

Thanks,
    COZ

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's not free (but there is a free trial period), but VideoReDo has an option to save to elementary streams which gives you an .mpa or .ac3 audio only file, based on what the input audio is.
    You can force VideoReDo to save audio as .mpa by adjusting the volume before saving.
    You could then use a program like Audacity (free) to export that mpa as a true mp3.

Edit: If you're using a Mac, then disregard the above. :)

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I would just tivodecode, then save the audio track with MPlayer (mplayer -dumpaudio). Both free. There are lots of other ways to do it, too.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I am oldskool. I use (or used to use) Tytools. Then you need to record the MP2 file to MP3, or at least might have to.

5. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I'm going to try this first. Thanks.

Dumb newbie question about tivodecode -- is this GUI just an add-on to the actual program, or does it contain everything I'm going to need (i.e., the actual decoding part)?

Later,
    COZ