Creating a Moca network when cable/internet are different providers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pauljlucas, Dec 30, 2019.

1. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019

Advertisements

All the wiring diagrams I've seen for Moca networks seem to assume that one gets one's cable TV signal and internet from the same provider over a single coax cable. I have a cable TV provider (supplied via coax) and a separate internet provider (supplied via fiber optic, but passes through a fiber-to-ethernet converter box).

[​IMG]
    The diagram above the ----- is my current network. The Ethernet modem is also a WiFi base station and the TiVo currently connects to it via WiFi.

The diagram below the ----- is my proposed network where I add some (?) box that takes two inputs (1) the cable TV coax cable and (2) an ethernet cable and has as one output (1) a coax cable with the ethernet signal Moca'd onto it that the TiVo can then use instead of WiFi.

The TiVo Bridge doesn't have enough inputs; the TiVo Bridge Plus has the requisite inputs, but I've not seen a wiring diagram like I have.

Can I do what I want? Using the Bridge Plus? (If not, what product can I use?)

2. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Some Tivo's will act as a MOCA bridge, so the bridge plus may not be necessary. But I think you are over thinking this, and looking at all the diagrams over on Tivo's website I can see why someone would do that.

Basically the tivo bridge plus just has a splitter inside of it, either work the same way so they both have the correct inputs.

But the point is you need to put a moca poe filter on the input to the house or at least the input to the moca devices before they are split and you need to connect a tivo that will act like a bridge or a moca bridge to your router via an Ethernet cable. You also need moca capable splitters in your moca network.

The way Bright House used to do it in my area was one standard splitter with one leg going to the cable modem and one with the POE filter going to a moca splitter. This moca splitter then had connections to the set top boxes and the dvr. This is essentially similar to your setup as the moca network never touches the cable modem.

But DirecTV does this in pretty much every install since they don't have internet capabilities in most cases. So they just take one of their DECA bridges and connect it to your router via an Ethernet cable either directly off a splitter or split again at a box near the router.

In some cases I think there are cable modems that will act as a MOCA bridge as well so then it should be possible for all MOCA devices to just use the cable modem and there would be no ethernet cables involved.

3. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    I don't have a cable modem because (as I said) I get internet via fiber, not cable. I get that I would need a POE filter. In my diagram, that would go onto the long coax cable to the left of the ? box. But that doesn't solve the problem of getting networking signals onto the coax cable going to the TiVo. I thought the point is to be able to get hardwired internet to the TiVo without having to run an additional ethernet cable to it.

Note that I don't need a Moca "network" really since the TiVo is the only thing that would use it.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Change the '?' box to a MoCA Box and, if your TiVo has bult-in MoCA, you're done.

Otherwise, put in another MoCA box.

-KP

5. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004

Advertisements

Yes that would be one way to get network into the tivo, but as I said you are completely over thinking and now you just confirmed it.

A MOCA bridges sole job is to switch the hardware layer form cable/coax layer and connect it to an Ethernet layer. Assuming all the devices connected to the cable are MOCA capable then you just need the one anywhere. What type of internet you have is irrelevant. I have a coworker that doesn't use MOCA for his tivo at all, just uses a spare coax line in his house to put a bridge on one side and connected it to an Ethernet switch upstairs and ran cables into his kid's rooms and then plugged another bridge onto the other end and into his router. I've used a similar setup with a hdhomerun tuner on one side connected to an antenna and the other end a switch in my house so there wasn't 100ft of coax loss.

Also as kpeters59 stated your tivo needs built in moca or you are going to need 2 bridges. But assuming it is a bridge plus as your ? works or a bridge and you just need a moca capable splitter to split the line so one goes to your tivo and one to the bridge.

6. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    But I want to go the other way. My main network is Ethernet cable so I want to "inject" ethernet signals onto coax that runs to my TiVo Bolt and have that 1 coax wire be the only wire.

7. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    So that rules out the TiVo Bridge because it doesn't have 2 inputs and 1 output. So it has to be the TiVo Bridge Plus or equivalent. (Is there a better/less-expensive 3rd-party equivalent?)

8. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Any physical network layer that only transmitted or received would be pretty useless. Bridges are 2 way devices. They transmit ethernet signals via MOCA onto the coax and take the MOCA signals on the coax and transmit them on the ethernet...

9. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    It does not... moca.jpg

THIS PHOTO WAS QUICKLY EDITTED FROM TIVO'S OWN SITE. DON'T FOCUS ON WHERE THE ETHERNET CABLE GOES INTO THE ROUTER. (IT SHOULD GO INTO A LAN PORT)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    kpeters59 likes this.
  10. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    The problem with that diagram is that it shows the ethernet cable going to the WAN port of the router. In my case, that's wrong. My router's WAN port goes (eventually) to fiber. The ethernet cable in that diagram would have to go to a LAN port on the router.

That aside, if one were to use the TiVo Bridge Plus, does that mean you don't need a separate splitter (because the Plus has two coax connections)?

11. pauljlucas

pauljlucas New Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Yes, I know. My point was that there is still one end of the cable that is connected to "the internet" and, in my case, "the internet" is only reachable via ethernet (and fiber) because my ISP supplies it that way as opposed to "the internet" being reachable via the coax cable my cable provider supplies.

12. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    The splitter is effectively built into the bridge plus just replace the ? in your diagram with it and you are set.

pauljlucas likes this.
  13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Diagram is misleading. It actually goes to a LAN port.

pauljlucas and kpeters59 like this.
  14. Fugacity

Fugacity Member

Oct 1, 2004
    LOL OK I edited the post but seriously no one ever told OP where to stick an ethernet cable into his router, the focus was always on the MOCA bridge connections. Also the picture of a Bridge is really a cable modem to Tivo so that's not accurate either...

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Great diagram as is. Just clarifying for the OP as he was confused.

16. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    For best MoCA results, please add a PoE filter to the input port of the splitter.