Create new TiVo Stream 4K with DVR Capabilities

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by techfan2020, Jun 27, 2020.

1. techfan2020

techfan2020 New Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Please create a device that marries the up-to-date streaming capabilities of TiVo Stream 4K with the industry-leading DVR capabilities of traditional TiVos.

Do that and I'll purchase the device immediately. You'll retain a loyal customer you've had since 1999. Continue on your current course and you'll lose me once I can no longer resurrect my TiVo Bolt.

I guess you'd qualify me as a cord-shaver (not cord-cutter). I still like the DVR capabilities offered by my original TiVo. My only complaint was the increasingly out-of-date streaming apps.

I won't buy the TiVo Stream 4K. It doesn't offer me enough advantages over my Roku. I also won't buy a new DVR unless it has up-to-date streaming.

For me, the ideal device would combine:

1) Up-to-date streaming capabilities like TiVo Stream 4K.
    2) DVR capabilities and live-TV guides like the original TiVos.
    3) CableCard support.
    4) NO ADDED COMMERCIALS. I use TiVo specifically to avoid commercials.
    5) Use a 3.5" disk. The 2.5" disks allow for a slightly more compact design, but they fail way to quickly. They are difficult to find (compatible models). And they are way too expensive.

I was suckered into buying a TiVo Bolt. I won't EVER buy another device with a 2.5" disk. My disk died, about a day after the warranty expired. After trying (and failing) to find a viable replacement, I ended up cutting a hole in my Bolt and running a cable to a 3.5" disk. Its worked great ever since.

Added points if the device also included:
    1) Support for both OTA and cable (simultaneously). That way, I can record OTA content for local channels AND cable content for non-local channels.
    2) Automatic reformatting of newly installed/replaced disk. This is a feature the Bolt got right!
    3) Support for very large disks 10TB+. In the era of 4K, why am I still limited to disk capacities that went out of date years ago?
    4) Full screen fast-forward / reverse for both DVR and streaming content.
    5) Searching across both live and streaming content.

MScottC and Noelmel like this.
  2. babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    techfan2020 likes this.
  3. techfan2020

techfan2020 New Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Cool, thank you!

That is similar to what I'm talking about. It ticks many, but not all, of the boxes. However, it does prove that, with a small bit of work, TiVo could actually sell a device that would still be relevant today...its a shame they don't. If they did, maybe I could even learn not to hate the Hydra interface :)

Noelmel likes this.