1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 1 spoilers OK

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I'm mostly starting this thread to get the word out how good this show is.

I had heard rumors it was a musical and went into it kindof skeptical but man was I blown away. So far, probably the only original new show of the fall season.

The lead Rachel Bloom is great and man o man can she sing.

I really liked it and while there are musical numbers it's not quite a musical but when there are they are pretty damned good.

2. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I loved it. Despite having two overstuffed TiVo's with hundreds and hundreds of hours of unwatched stuff, I watched this twice in two days, once by myself then a second time to show my wife.

I loved the bits with Nipsey Hussle apologizing to "bitches," and like the early episodes of Glee, or every episode of Pushing Daisies, it made me smile throughout.

I did get a very Felicity vibe from it—let's call it Felicity with some Glee thrown in—but it's also quite different from Felicity. For one thing, while I liked the show Felicity, I find the lead character in Crazy Ex Girlfriend to be much more, I don't know exactly what word I'm looking for, fun maybe?

3. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    We stumbled across this by accident, and it is absolutely hilarious- the second episode was just as good, if not better, than the first. I can't remember the last time we laughed so much at any show.

Not sure how they will build a series around the premise, but so far, so good- highly recommended.

4. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The show is great. I've been a Rachel Bloom fan ever since her "Ray Bradbury" song (you'll have to google it, there's no way I can get away with linking it here :D ).

And as a "small world" tangent.... the woman playing the coworker/friend Paula, about eight years ago I met her on an online dating website and went on just one date with her. But she was waaaaaay hotter back then. :) I didn't even recognize her; if her name weren't in the credits I would have never made the connection.

This is what she looked like at the time:

[​IMG]

Looks like I dodged a bullet. :D

5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    We tried it but I'm not a fan of the Musical genre, I mean a special episode here and there is OK, but I just don't like shows that break out in Song all the time.

I assume this is the format of the show, Episode 2 still had musical parts?

6. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I gave up on this about 1/2 through the 2nd ep. Didn't laugh at anything, and found myself more annoyed with the characters than anything.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    It's been kind of a uneven show for me. Parts of it I really liked, and other parts have seemed to drag or even come across as painful - and I flip over to something else for a while.

I'm about half way through the 2nd episode, and we'll see how it goes.

But I do want to say they really need to tone down the bass - both episodes have had scenes (club and party) were I felt the desire to just turn off my subwoofer because with the dialog as at comfortable level it was rattling things in the next room!

8. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Along with the opening theme, there were two songs in episode 2.

9. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I usually set everything to record, and just weed out the stuff that gets cancelled early, or everybody hates before I watch it.

This was 93% on RT, and even though I've heard the ratings are bad, I watched it.

It was pretty great. I didn't even realize it was a musical until reading some of those RT reviews.

-smak-

10. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I really like this show and think Rachel Bloom is super sexy!! And talented.
    PS: Love her YouTube videos!

11. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    I take it this has nothing to do with the Movie?

12. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    It was too weird for me, though I don't like musicals so I'm definitely not the target.

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Movie?

Are you thinking of My Super Ex-Girlfriend?

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    So, no "Rocky Horror Picture Show" or "Phantom of the Opera" or "Tommy" for you, huh?

Philistine! ;)

15. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    just finished episode 3 and still loving it!

16. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    We liked episode 3- still good- but thought it was the weakest of the 3 so far. I remain worried that it will be very difficult to carry out the concept and keep the same high quality for a whole season.

17. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought the scene at home with Paula Proctor was pretty weak - almost suddenly felt like a different show - but at the same time, it was kindof needed for the rest of episode story line.

18. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I knew nothing about it but the title and just watched the first episode. Absolutely loved it and figured I'd come here to find a thread full of:

Glad there are just a few!

19. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Wow! Why is there no mention of this show in the general fall premiere thread? I read through that and it seemed like there wasn't really anything new worth checking out this year. I found this on Plex last week and decided to give it a shot while my wife was out. It's freaking awesome. Feels like a more fun (and musical!) version of Girls. Unfortunately my wife hates(!) it, so I can only watch it when she's out of the house. Managed to squeeze in 3 episodes and a few minutes of ep. 4 though so far. :)

20. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Cross posting:

We binged the first 7-8 eps over the last few days. We loved all of them! I think this is a new favorite for us, and were totally bummed to learn after next week they go on winter break - but we need more!

The stories are silly and the characters shallow, but somehow it all works. Its very easy to watch. I think the characters are easy for us to relate to in a magnified and comical way. The musical numbers and choreography are actually pretty decent and totally worthy of a second listen as they are jam-packed with awesome one liners. We are big musical theater fans, so that probably helps here.

So happy to see this in a 1 hour format, unlike BBT which always feels too short - and so happy to skip thru commercial breaks and see 30+ minutes remaining on the timeline. You've got to wonder how they can manage the script, music and choreography week to week and keep the story fresh and moving forward.