Crash/Freeze/Blank Screen Whern Exiting Amazon Prime App

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by michael1248, Oct 17, 2019.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Several times in the last few weeks, when I have pushed the TiVo button to exit the Amazon Prime App, the screen has gone blank as in dark. After waiting a few minutes for something to happen, I end up rebooting and all is fine.

Suggestions? Anyone have similar experiences?

2. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't use the Amazon app on TiVo, but I was checking out one of the other apps (I think it was called Ameba or Amibo - something like that) and I had it happen. I had a completely black screen and zero response when I pressed any buttons on the remote. Like you, a reboot fixed it, but I was glad I wasn't recording anything at the time.

To be honest, if it is at all possible, try to avoid using the TiVo apps. More often than not I have found them to be buggy and crash-prone. For Amazon, Netflix, etc. do yourself a favor and use another device. Heck, a $35 Chromecast might even do the trick for you.

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    IMO, it is always safest to exit apps with their menu’s exit button, instead of pressing the TiVo button.

I believe the main video apps (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, and Hulu) all have these exit commands. Netflix has theirs at the bottom of their left screen menu, and I believe all the others have an exit confirmation window when you hit the back button from each of their home screens.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I never use the Tivo button to leave any of the apps, I use Zoom and it brings me back to the Shows list.