Crackling on TiVo sound effects/HD recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by darksurtur, Apr 2, 2009.

1. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem and was hoping for some advice. Has anyone ever experienced "crackling" sounds coming from their TiVOs - particularly on TiVo sound effects, but also on HD channels - and what was the solution? I have observed crackling sounds on the TiVO skip forward/backward sound and the TiVo du-dum sound for reaching the end of a menu. And it's happening both on an HD Tivo and a series 2 TiVo!

I am currently mostly using the HDTiVo, connected via component, RCA and toslink to an Onkyo receiver. The Series 2 TiVo is connected via s-video/RCA to the TV and the TV via RCA out to the receiver.

At first I thought it was my receiver, but a DVD player connected with optical works fine. Then I muted the receiver and turned the sound back on from my TV speakers, and noticed the crackling coming from the Series 2 TiVo. So that at least is happening on the TiVo side.

It's the HD stuff that's beginning to get annoying. It's just an SDTV, but like to record the QAM channels for the surround sound, and I notice intermittent crackling here too. The video doesn't drop out, and the audio doesn't drop out - it just crackles. It seems to happen at repeatable points in recordings, and it doesn't seem to matter if I pull the toslink and keep just the RCA or vice versa (I think - I need to doublecheck). I'm planning on doing a lot more troubleshooting, but before I go pulling wires I wanted to see if anyone could help or offer insights into a similar experience. Thanks!

2. Natron

Natron Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Greater...
    The first thing I would try is disconnecting the cable from the house. It may seem odd but when I finally did that to my system it made the picture and sound better. I had to buy a special filter for the cable line that helped, but the real fix for me was switching to FIOS.

3. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Hi - I see you're local to me. I would love to switch to FIOS, but they are bad about MDU implementation and have spotty area coverage, and so it's not an option for me. Is that what you meant about disconnecting the cable? Without FiOS, I kind of need it for TV and internet.

As for the crackling issue, after further mucking about, I am starting to think it is not the TiVO or the receiver, but the channel: CBS in particular (Comcast DC). I don't seem to get crackling on other HD channels like ABC. The sound effects still crackle, though - that must just be a TiVO issue, I guess. That's a minor thing in comparison.

4. Natron

Natron Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Greater...
    I failed to mention but I too have an Onkyo receiver.

When I said disconnect the cable, I meant temporarily and re-play something that crackled before. That will rule out interference from the cable.

I had to disconnect the cable going into the house because I have some much stuff connected.

I discovered my problem by pulling the TiVo out and only plugging in a stand alone TV and then added on thing at time until the problem appeared.

BTW, I used to have Comcast too.

5. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL

Advertisements

I have a little sparkling or crackling through my TiVo HD, but the big issue for me is the problem I have with MISSING sound effects. For example, when scrolling up or down in a menu, I may only get three out of four movement sounds. Or when I fast forward, I might only get the "DOOP" part of the "BA-DOPP" sound (if that makes sense).

I'm connected to my TV via an HDMI (brand new Sony). Any ideas?

6. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Try changing your audio settings to see if it goes away. Switch to PCM instead of Dolby Digital.

7. Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Tried that already. However, since posting this, I've rebooted, and I *think* it may have done the trick.

8. darksurtur

darksurtur Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I see what you mean. Well, actually, I have a Series 2 that does not have any antenna or cable feed. It's about to be retired, but still has some recordings I would like to transfer to PC. I still get crackling on the TiVO sound effects, via the receiver or the TV. As I said, I suspect this is a TiVo software/hardware thing.

9. floodxx

floodxx New Member

May 3, 2009
    Funny you mention CBS - mine (Tivo HD) crackles every once in a while on CBS HD only - through Suddenlink. Thought I was imagining things. Also the audio is sometimes lost or choppy for a half second - but only on CBS HD. I can't get CBS OTA to see if it is because of the HD compression or not but have noticed it before when compressing video on my computer with a cheap sound card.

The output goes through two amps on the way to the speakers though - I am thinking it would go away if I ran the audio through the LCD speakers but haven't tried.