Cox TV Service ‘Upgrade’ letter....anyone else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tvmaster2, Mar 29, 2021.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006

Advertisements

Received an odd letter from Cox Cable today, stating that if you don’t see channel 1987, then it’s likely Cable Cards won’t work in your neighborhood soon.
    Whaaaaat?
    That can’t be good, can it?

Attached Files:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Meh, just sounds like your Cox region is shifting some channels to MPEG4. It doesn't say anything about "CableCARDs not working in your neighborhood soon."

upload_2021-3-29_18-32-9.png

3. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Agree with @krkaufman. The only reason they care that you're using a CableCARD is because it means you're not using their equipment, and thus they don't know whether the equipment your using will support MPEG4.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. LynnL999

LynnL999 Active Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Yes, I got the same letter. I was able to see the channel on my BOLT, so apparently whatever they're doing isn't impacting me.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

This old info page from TiVo Re: Comcast’s transition to MPEG4 has info that should apply for Cox users as it relates to TiVo DVRs...

Tivo Customer Support Community

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  6. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I got one of these letters over a year ago. It's fun to watch them push the deadline further back as some customers (I'm guessing hospitals or similar "campus" environments?) complain. I've received three letters with different impact dates. It's going down the same path as the SDV tuning adapters - that took about 5 years from initial notification to rollout.

Oddly enough, Cox in my area has been using MPEG4 for years before the letter.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    After speaking with a Cox rep on the phone, from Phoenix, his claim was that Cox wasn't issuing any NEW cable cards. If a retail store still had some, they could be rented out, but nothing new being created. He also added that customers who wanted cable cards on their account HAD TO rent at least ONE Cox, set-top box. Whaaaaat? Anyone else been told that lately?
    So if that's correct, then the sale of NEW Tivo's should end soon?

8. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Has any Cox market lost the 1000's channel numbers on their TiVo?
    Cox said they were removing the 1000's a while back and only keeping the lower channel numbers which are all HD now anyway.
    I still have most of my OnePass settings using the 1000"s channels, I'm just curios if I need to change them. TiVo/Rovi Guide data still thinks all the 100's are still the SD equivalent.
    Both the 100's and 1000's use the same frequency and Video PID. I'm assuming Cox just removed them from the Guide on their equipment.

9. ocdave

ocdave New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I’ve been waiting for the 1000’s to disappear here in Orange County, CA, after receiving that bill notice, but so far they’re all still here and working.

10. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Still working in Cox Tucson. I have not received a letter saying the 1000s channels are going away, only that the non-1000s channels are now also HD. My guess is that TiVo users will need to submit a request to Rovi to get the guide data updated.