Cox tuning adapters just stopped working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jeff Zimmerman, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Jeff Zimmerman

Jeff Zimmerman New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I have two Tivos with cablecards and tuning adapters. On Saturday morning, the Tivos gave me an error message that the tuning adapters were disconnected. I looked at the TAs and both have a constant flashing amber light, the same amber light that normally is constant and not flashing. I am able to get all of the "popular" channels but none of the SDV channels.

I've called the Cox cablecard support number twice (877-820-8202), once on Saturday, once on Sunday. Both times the techs had me restart the TAs (which I had already done) and restart the Tivos (which I had already done). They then gave up and blamed the issue on the Tivo. Even though the TA is owned by Cox.

I've also had issues this weekend with my cable modem with the Internet being up about 50% of the time. Lots and lots of errors on the downstream side of the cable modem. So a tech came out today, checked levels and found nothing wrong with my downstream or upstream levels. He also tested levels at the TA drops and those are fine too.

Since the TAs are stuck in initializing mode, the Tivos can't even see them via USB so I can't use the Tivo to get any info from the TA. I've gone so far as to connect a TA directly to the main Cox feed into my house, bypassing all of my house wiring only to get the same amber flashing. And I have an extra TA that I used to use with another Tivo / cablecard / TA combo that I plugged directly in and also swapped in for one of the formerly-working TAs with the exact same results.

So where do I go from here? Everything worked on Friday. Now my Internet is spotty and both TAs stopped working at the same time. The Cox tech support lines haven't been helpful in any way (the Saturday tech blamed it on the content providers not providing signal - even though the channels that I couldn't receive were obviously SDV, the Sunday tech suggested I call Tivo for help with the Cox TA) The onsite Sunday tech was a great guy who didn't fix the issue but suggested that maybe it's an authorization issue with the TAs. I've run out of things to test and people to call.

It seems as though Cox has abandoned the cablecards as the tech support folks at the cablecard number don't seem to know much about cablecards or tuning adapters. Does anyone have any secrets or competent people within Cox that I could call?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're having Internet issues (i.e. the modem is unstable), then it sounds more like a general signal problem than specific to your Tuning Adapters, regardless of what the tech found at that moment. The only other common thing that might cause modem *and* Tuning Adapter issues would be if you introduced MoCA onto your coax lines -- and the modem and TAs weren't protected against MoCA signals.

If one of your devices is going bad and causing issues for the other devices, you could try powering off the modem and TAs and then trying them individually to see if performance differs.

Jeff Zimmerman likes this.
  3. Jeff Zimmerman

Jeff Zimmerman New Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Thanks! I agree with the general signal problem diagnosis. And since a TA connected directly to the inbound Cox feed failed as well, it seems like the signal issue lies beyond my home. The onsite tech seemed to think that all was well, but cable modem stats look pretty terrible. This is with a couple of hours of uptime on the modem. See below:

upload_2017-9-24_16-44-56.png

Maybe the big question is how to get Cox to pay attention to this issue. Years ago, techs would stick with an issue until it was solved. Now Cox seems happy to just shrug and blow me off.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can't help you, there, not being a Cox customer. Hopefully somebody else can chime in with escalation options.

Jeff Zimmerman likes this.
  5. Holazola

Holazola Santa Barbarian

Dec 21, 2005
    Santa...
    Both of my TAs restarted and then could not acquire the channel tables Friday night. After an hour with the Cox CSR, they set up a tech appt for today. Guy just called to cancel the visit. Says that they had a bunch of customer problems, all with TiVos. They first blamed it on the TiVo side, but he said that now have figured out that something changed on the Cox side, and that it won't be fixed until tomorrow at the earliest. That's all I know.

Anachrony and Jeff Zimmerman like this.
  6. Anachrony

Anachrony New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Wow, when I tried looking up my problem I wasn't expecting such specific information. I'm also a Cox customer in Santa Barbara, and lost the ability to tune into about half my channels around Friday night. Power cycling the tuning adapter and Tivo didn't make any difference. I called tech support and after half an hour or so they couldn't find a problem and suggested there might be a problem with Tivo, and suggesting that maybe I should get a Cox DVR instead. If it's a known issue I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

I don't like monopolies. Online alternatives to cable are increasingly viable, but in this market there is no good way to get online in the first place without dealing with Cox.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't just wait. I'd contact Cox to register a formal support issue and point them to the known issue. Later, you can use the call time to get a service credit.

8. Holazola

Holazola Santa Barbarian

Dec 21, 2005
    Santa...
    UPDATE (well not really)(Copy/paste from Cox TV Forum post):
    I have two Tivos with Tuning Adapters that have not been able send SDV channel requests for 5 days running, preventing access to a majority of my subscribed channels. I am getting a bit frustrated.

Both of my TAs restarted and then could not acquire the channel tables Friday night. I can receive 1300 HBO, so I know the cable-cards are working correctly. The tuning Adapter diagnostics show an "OutOfState" error right after rebooting and receiving the channel table data.

After an hour with the Cox CSR, they set up a tech appt for Sunday. The tech called to cancel the visit. Says that they had a bunch of customer problems, all with TiVos /cablecards. They first blamed it on the TiVo side, but he said "they figured out that something changed on the Cox side, and that it won't be fixed until Monday"

No change on Monday. Made another Cox CSR call and went through the routine again. Sent out a truck this AM. Tech spent two hours ripping apart all my connections / swapping cable cards etc only to conclude it was "something in the system not working".

Well, yeah.

How does one escalate such things?

I see some other similar messages, but there must be many more customers with this problem. Reply if you are!

9. Tanic

Tanic Member

Jun 22, 2004
    In many locations Cox is licensed by the municipality to operate. In the past I have filed a complaint with the cable franchise office at city hall and a manager from Cox has contacted me to get the complaint off their record.

10. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Lodge complaint online with FCC usually gets Cox's attention.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Tuning Adapters have never worked (properly) on Time Warner Cable (now spectrum)! ;)

12. Holazola

Holazola Santa Barbarian

Dec 21, 2005
    Santa...
    well, six days later they are working again, for now. No emails or any explanation..

13. Anachrony

Anachrony New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    I got a new tuning adapter and cablecard, which I installed, activated, and paired this morning. I've got all my channels back now. Don't know if changing the hardware had anything to do with it, or if it just killed enough time for a software update to fix it.