Cox Phoenix Switches to DSG Mode for Cisco Tuning Adapters

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CoxInPHX, May 13, 2020.

1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

Cox Phoenix updated my Cisco Tuning Adapters this morning from using Legacy OOB mode to the newer DSG (DOCSIS Set-top Gateway) mode.
    Old Firmware was FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001
    New Firmware is FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_BDSG.LR_F.1601

It looks like it's one step forward, OOB to DSG, but 2 Firmware revisions backwards. Moving from F.2001 to F.1601

The Diagnostic Signal Levels for OOB (FDC & RDC) are now gone, so it looks like it will be harder to do diagnostics.

There is a new Page in the TA Diagnostics Menu: "DOCSIS Information" which has the Upstream and Downstream levels.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  2. mmmm_beer

mmmm_beer Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not sure if there really is a different firmware version for this TA.

I recently had an issue where my TA lost sync about a week or so ago and no amount of rebooting would get it to sync. I had a tech our here the other day and he mentioned that there was a recent firmware update that for some reason many of TAs had issues fully installing it. It would appear to take take the update and you would get the solid green light indicating it sync'd with the head end but it just didn't work. In my case the status was constantly showing Ready - b'cast only and I could only tune a very small number of SDV channels. The tech claimed that they were supposed to get some new TAs in that had the firmware manually installed and should fix the issue.

Not sure if the new firmware he mentioned was the STA1.0.0_1520_BDSG.LR_F.1601 version, my previous TA took that update and worked mostly fine for about 2 months. The current one he gave me also shows this version but as stated doesn't really work and is stuck in the b'cast only mode.

Hopefully when the tech shows up with a new TA, I will verify the firmware versions and hopefully I will be able to tune in to the rest of the channels I pay for.

3. mmmm_beer

mmmm_beer Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sadly, Cox finally brought me a new tuning adapter with the new firmware forced installed and it still didn’t fix the issue. They gave me 3 different ones since mine died and they all synced but each of them show “Ready - B’cast Only” and SDV channels aren’t tuning. Same firmware version as above, but these past 3 tuning adapters won’t get to the Ready state.