Cox not supporting Cablecard for Contour Flex - FCC Complaint filed

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tlfromai, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1 of 53
    tlfromai

tlfromai New Member

Sep 30, 2015

Advertisements

Hoping to catch the eye of any Cox reps who might be trolling these forums...

Cox is not supporting cablecards for their Contour Flex TV starter package. I can verify this as I have been trying to get this to work for over a month. The Starter channels will not tune (Error V58: Channel Not Authorized) and the tuning adapter light will not go solid (need it for the included HBO channels). I can also verify that a Cox supplied set top box is able to tune all of the Contour Flex TV channels and all HBO channels (I tried this using their DVR box). To make sure it wasn't a Tivo failure, I had them temporarily give me a "normal" cable package (i.e. non-Flex) and the Starter channels and HBO channels came in and the tuning adapter locked instantly.

Below is a copy of my complaint to the FCC.

I am currently subscribed to the Cox Contour Flex Starter + Economy package. Cox has informed me that they do not and will not support the use of Cablecards with this package (in my case one Cablecard in a Tivo Bolt). However, they will allow me to use their cable box to receive all channels in the package. I tested this using their cable box and was able to tune all Flex TV Starter and Economy channels using the Cox supplied box. The policy allowing the use of their set top box is also stated here:
    About Contour Flex

From that link:
    Requirements and Restrictions
    To access or use Contour Flex you must have the App Only service or a Contour non-DVR receiver.

It is my understanding that if Cox is going to provide a TV package that can be tuned using their set top box, they must also support the use of Cablecards. I believe they are trying to get around these rules by calling this a streaming only package, but you can clearly use this package with a Cox supplied set top box.

2. Feb 2, 2017 #2 of 53
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #3 of 53
    tlfromai

tlfromai New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Posted on that forum. The rep is most likely uninformed. I talked to a few reps and supervisors over the phone and they verified that they are definitely not supporting Contour Flex with cablecards. In fact, they mentioned a few other packages where they aren't supporting cablecards (I wish I would have gotten more info about that for my FCC filing). Asked them how this isn't an FCC violation and they had no answer. They did try to offer me a similar package at over 3 times the price that would be cablecard compatible. I'm not sure what kind of company or representative would think this is an acceptable solution.

4. Feb 2, 2017 #4 of 53
    ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    the rep's post during the day usually so give it a day at least also cox reps don't post in here not official anyway

5. Feb 2, 2017 #5 of 53
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002

Advertisements

The assumption at the higher levels, and I'm sure the feeling is dribbling down to the CSRs, is that the FCC will no longer be a concern.

6. Feb 3, 2017 #6 of 53
    cedartec_guy

cedartec_guy New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    yup, There likely want be any protection for customers now for 4 years.

7. Feb 3, 2017 #7 of 53
    ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

your confused contour is the name of Cox's whole house dvr that only runs on cox provided hardware. Tivo's do not run contour they have their own software you just need a cable card

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. Feb 3, 2017 #8 of 53
    cedartec_guy

cedartec_guy New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    how much those the flex economy cost including the box rental?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. Feb 3, 2017 #9 of 53
    ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    it's different for each area you have look or call and ask

10. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    There certainly is confusion here. There are channels available on Cox Contour that are not available via cable card.

11. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    like which ones?

12. tlfromai

tlfromai New Member

Sep 30, 2015
    No, I'm not confused, and after having a Tivo for 10+ years with multiple cable companies I'm very aware that Tivo's don't run software created by Cox. I'm not even sure how you managed to misinterpret my post that badly.

Contour is not the name of Cox's DVR service. All of their TV packages are now call Contour something or other. In fact, in my market you can get the CONTOUR Flex TV starter + Internet Essential (15 Mbps) + HBO for $54.99/month. With this package you have the option of using the streaming app only (not a DVR) or adding on a NON-DVR Cox cable box for $4.99/month. There is no DVR service with this CONTOUR package, let alone whole home DVR service.

I don't "just need a cable card." I have a cablecard. The cablecard does not work with the CONTOUR Flex Starter package. Cox knows this, and they have told me they are not, and will not be supporting cablecards with the CONTOUR Flex TV Starter package.

7e7f3ee9a1df83b2889c50f14fb27029553ced963d5ebfcbb89097eaf38bfded.jpg

BRiT wtfdotcom likes this.
  13. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    I am not mistaken at all I have cox ever since they started in our are and yes Contour is the name of the whole home dvr.

You need to ask for non contour channel packages

14. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    my current bill from Cox Oklahoma, no mention of Contour on the packages. I have Cox Advanced TV with cable card in Tulsa and Cox Starter Tv with cable card in Las Vegas

Cox Advanced TV
    Includes:
    Cox TV Starter
    Price protected at $22.99
    w Expanded Service
    Price protected at $53.00
    w Faith & Values Pak
    w Advanced TV Service
    Price protected at $4.00
    $70.00
    -
    w CableCARD $1.99
    Other Fees and Surcharges
    Broadcast Surcharge $3.00
    Total TV $74.99

15. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  16. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    No. It is both. They're plastering Contour on everything now. They have named TV Programming Bundles using the Contour name, which is what the OP is talking about, the "Contour Flex" programming package.

Here's the breakdown of the various channels in each package; TV Starter, Contour Flex Starter, Contour Flex Economy, TV Essential, Contour TV, Contour TV Preferred, Contour TV Premiere, Contour TV Ultimate: https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.html?campcode=info_lineup_ankle3_3

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  17. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Here is some info on the Cox Contour Flex programming package: About Contour Flex

[paste:font size="6"]Contour Flex Channel LineupCox.com Channel Lineup.

Note: Contour Flex does not include the Faith & Values Pak.

Package Available Channels
    Contour Flex Starter

• App only or App + Contour HD Receiver
    • 72+ Channels (TV Starter)
    • Optional upgrade: Premiums

Contour Flex Latino

• App + Contour HD Receiver
      • 72 + Channels (TV Starter, Latino Pak, and Bonus Pak Channels)
    Contour Flex Economy

• 110+ Channels (TV Economy Channels)
      • Some included channels are USA, Disney, Food Network, Lifetime, AMC, TNT, and Music Choice
    Contour Flex Economy Latino

• 155+ Channels (TV Economy, Latino Pak, and Bonus Pak Channels)
      • Some included channels are Telemundo, Univision, History, USA, TNT, Fox News, Music Choice, HLN, ESPN Deportes, beIN Sports

18. cedartec_guy

cedartec_guy New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Does the Cox Contour Flex Economy Package work with Tivo?

19. Mark_K

Mark_K New Member

Jan 2, 2017
    The Cox Economy TV package definitely works with Tivo and a cablecard (I have it). I don't know about the Flex Economy version.

20. delgadobb

delgadobb Active Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I also filed a complaint with the FCC. It took a while, but I eventually got a written response that was marketing mumbo-jumbo and CYA backtracking. Form letter BS. It also mentioned I had received 'multiple' calls from their compliance team with no response (BS). The first time they called was an off-hour; curiously, every time I tried to return the call it went to voicemail & I could never reach a human. I left multiple voicemails & all that ever happened was phone tag. It was almost comical. I am convinced they have a department dedicated to doing nothing but the soft-shoe dance with the FCC. Just enough to avoid trouble.

You can see my earlier thread here:
    Caught in 3 ring Circus w/Cox & Tivo pointing fingers - suggestions?

The eventual resolution was that Cox was going to revise their channel lineup because of me (without admitting any wrongdoing.) Could've been so much easier ...

I have come to the conclusion that most Cox employees believe Contour involves a unicorn & perhaps some other mythical creatures. It's pretty clear internally 'Contour' is the brand du jour & a term for anything where they want to charge extra. "Oh sir, those are Contour channels. You can't get those without our Contour equipment." They really, truly believe that - the basic difference is (roughly speaking) Contour channels means they are MPEG4/H.264 (so their older boxes won't receive them), most Cox employees have no idea that Tivos can receive these. (Either a Tivo HD with latest SW or newer boxes - my Roamios work great with 'Contour' channels.) I had multiple CSRs try to argue with me when I told them I pay for that channel package & have received those channels for some time, that I was only calling in for a channel mapping issue; a couple tried to go as far as trying to remove the channels from my cablecard authorization since they were 'Contour' channels & in their mind I wasn't supposed to receive them. Now they seem to be calling all their packages some variation of 'Contour' which only makes it more confusing.

You can only beat your head against the wall for so long ...

For those in the Las Vegas area, have you had any luck with getting lower level packages/bundles? I'm at the end of an agreement & they keep wanting to sell me the everything package at a discount. (Been down this road with them a few times previously.) I want a simple package, maybe not barebones but simple channel package & 15Mbit Internet is enough. OTA & streaming the alternative. Seems like all their bundles have phone, they claim it's cheaper that way.

tim1724, Mikeguy and BRiT wtfdotcom like this.